Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Appreciation Club!

Chiliwailer

My first bass was an Encore Precision copy that I bought at school. Havent had another precision since until I bought my most recent acquisition an Aerodyne in blue as recently displayed here on an NMD thread. For those of you who didnt see it, this is its current state...

Edited by Chris Sharman

I really do not want to join any club that would have me as a member...

However I would love to show my appreciation to the bass I actively avoided for twenty-odd years, because every bugger plays them.
Eventually I succumbed after I realised I had never heard a bad one really.

My Squier VMP5 and Harley Benton Shorty P.
Both of which are awesome.

Edited by miles'tone

My first bass was a 1962 three colour burst with a slab rosewood board. No case - the guy I bought it from couldn't afford one so it travelled in the fender cardboard box.
It was 3 or 4 months old when I got it. Oh and it fell out of the back of our truck on the way to a gig and got run over by a car. Squished one of the strings and messed up one of the control knob. Not the pot, just the knob! Was stolen from me and I got it back, then stolen from the guy who bought it off me a year later. Sadly he didn't get it back.

Had to sell it about a year later so I could afford a guitar. That was what the gig called for and it paid. *sigh* the joys of young married life and paying the bills.

So now I have bought a 62 reissue neck from 2002 and am hunting around to pick up the rest of the bits.....
Yes it would have been easier to just splash out a couple of grand, but since I am a broke retiree I decided to do it the fun way.
Great feeling to feel that flat wide neck profile and know it will soon be pretty close to my original bass.

And in the meantime I have my MIM Precision refinished in Fiesta red or "Hank and the Shadows Pink" as it seems to be known in the UK! :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1429009042' post='2746894']
I use to hate precision bass because is my first bass was a precision. Now P bass is my go to bass. I've made 2 changes to my Fender P bass. First added a J pickup so the bass becomes P/J bass but I use the P pickup most. Second I've swap the P neck with a glossy maple jazz neck.
[/quote]

Which J pickup are you using? I've got a 5 string P I'm idly thinking of P/Jing but using the American Standard Jazz bridge pickup in it

I acquired this recently (probably from looking at this thread a bit too much) to see if I can get some of the P bass type lurve going again....

[attachment=194460:Sandberg VS4 07.jpg]

I've been going through quite some Precisions, even had (and sold) my ultimate...

The first one was this:

Yamaha BB300. Pretty darn good bass. The tuners were a bit wonky but otherwise it was pretty decent.

However, it got replaced by:

Squier Vintage Modified Precision. I put CTS pots, a Fender Original pickup, a Gotoh 201 bridge and D'Addario flats on it and there it was: motown machine. Very, very good bass. I rarely used it though, so I sold it.

And then there was the ultimate. A Squier JV Precision from '82, mint condition, all original that I got for...wait for it...€75. With an amp. And a stand. And a cable. And a strap.

It was fantastic. Everything about it. Except I didn't use it. Silly me, I sold it (for a lot more than I bought it for)...

A while after that, I got this because it was véry cheap.

Yamaha BB400S fretless. I was great, and I loved it, but it couldn't quite match my Fender fretless. So I sold the Yammie.

And then it took me a while to get another Precision. And when I got one, it was this:

Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision. It wasn't really my thing. I just couldn't get the bass going in a band. SO I sold it.

And now, finally, I got this:

Fender Road Worn P. I love this bass. It's almost as good as the JV.

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1434532837' post='2800433']

And then there was the ultimate. A Squier JV Precision from '82, mint condition, all original that I got for...wait for it...€75. With an amp. And a stand. And a cable. And a strap.

It was fantastic. Everything about it. Except I didn't use it. Silly me, I sold it (for a lot more than I bought it for)...

[/quote]

:gas: My dream bass. It exactly matches my '82 Squier JV Strat which is an absolutely fabulous guitar.

Dammit, I just can't sit here and not post pics of my P in a P appreciation thread!! I join the club!! :biggrin:
With sincere apologies to everyone who has seen these pics about a million times. :P This is for that remaining member who has not. ;)

Oops, I did it again! :blush:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ukulelelab' timestamp='1430981292' post='2766424']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Congrats. I remember that lovely '64 LPB used to be at the Guitar Center in Totowa (NJ). [color=#000000]There is some sticker residue at the back of the body where the previous owner attempted to cover up the buckle wear with masking tape and store manager explained me he was able to remove most of it. In Jan 2014 they sent the bass to a guitar show in LA (NAMM) and it never came back. It then re-surfaced in Sweden with Anders Anderson who I suspect acquired it at NAMM. Enjoy that great bass.[/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]
Another piece of history of this wonderful bass. Greatly appreciated, thanks! I contacted the GC store manager in Totowa and asked him for any more info about the previous (maybe the original?) owner of the bass. I'd really love to get in contact with the original owner.

Really chuffed how this 'Bitsa' has just turned out, lovely J width neck, wizard trad pick up, low action with no buzzes and the intonation is spot on....may even gig it the weekend. Just need to put some flats on now :)

Time for an update.

My first post on this thread had me using a Mike Lull P4. There was nothing wrong with that bass, but I sold it when I got a PJ4 that was in my much preferred spec of ash and maple. Neck pocket states it was made for NAMM 2015, sure is a great example.

I usually prefer a wide neck on a P Bass, but as my Jazz was being sold too I went for the thinner neck so I could better blend the two basses, turned out nicely. The most comfy necks I've ever had have been on a Mike Lull bass. I changed the white pickguard for a slightly softer parchment, and I have a black one too that looks pretty cool.

The quality is up there with the best basses I've previously owned or played, but by a huge margin it's the most suited to me bass I've ever owned. Thank you Mike :)

Few more pics if you click.
[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Lull%20PJ4/image.jpg1_zpsbwocbuvk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Lull%20PJ4/image.jpg1_zpsbwocbuvk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1432923398' post='2786292']
My first bass was a 1962 three colour burst with a slab rosewood board. No case - the guy I bought it from couldn't afford one so it travelled in the fender cardboard box.
It was 3 or 4 months old when I got it. Oh and it fell out of the back of our truck on the way to a gig and got run over by a car. Squished one of the strings and messed up one of the control knob. Not the pot, just the knob! Was stolen from me and I got it back, then stolen from the guy who bought it off me a year later. Sadly he didn't get it back.

Had to sell it about a year later so I could afford a guitar. That was what the gig called for and it paid. *sigh* the joys of young married life and paying the bills.

So now I have bought a 62 reissue neck from 2002 and am hunting around to pick up the rest of the bits.....
Yes it would have been easier to just splash out a couple of grand, but since I am a broke retiree I decided to do it the fun way.
Great feeling to feel that flat wide neck profile and know it will soon be pretty close to my original bass.

And in the meantime I have my MIM Precision refinished in Fiesta red or "Hank and the Shadows Pink" as it seems to be known in the UK! :D
[/quote] Update: (sob) Was talking with my brother who lives in Florida a while back and he told me that my late mum was robbed in Tennessee years ago and one of the things that got stolen was every single photograph of me from my earliest baby pics up to when I finally left home. Including the one and only of me with the 62 P Bass as a 3 colour suburst & one or two of it after the white refinish.
Need to find a nitro finish body so I can put the replica together. I now have everything BUT THE BODY.

My two honeyburst 2012 American Specials. Two piece alder bodies, 8.5lbs, serial numbers eight apart.

The fretless conversion was done by Brook Guitars in Devon.

I have no other electric basses. These two nail it for me :)

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1435668170' post='2811156']
My two honeyburst 2012 American Specials. Two piece alder bodies, 8.5lbs, serial numbers eight apart.

The fretless conversion was done by Brook Guitars in Devon.

I have no other electric basses. These two nail it for me :)
[/quote]

That is a stunning pair. :gas: :gas: