Why become a member? ×

When you get compliments on your playing

anaxcrosswords

I'm not sure about being embarrassed but it does rather catch me unawares. My response tends to be along the lines of "Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Really enjoyed playing here tonight.". Though it's more often Mrs Zero who gets the compliments, and as she's a little less capable of self-assessment than me and thinks she's not as good as she actually is, it catches her out even more than me.

I don't get many compliments following gigs...but nobody normally speaks to me after gigs anyway! I appear to be Mr Unapproachable.

I have had compliments from time to time, and like others my normal response is "Thanks, glad you enjoyed our set".

I only get embarrassed about it if I don't think I've played very well.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1428838753' post='2745011']
I don't get embarrassed as such but I just seem to have an in-built cynicism that just assumed I'm having the piss ripped out me. I'm sure it's a horribly unhealthy mind-set but it's just my first instinct whenever I get a compliment and usually ends in me mumbling "Thanks" then heading off. I'm aware I come across as an arsehole of the highest calibre when I do this but I seem unable to respond with anything else.

I had some girl at a gig a month or so back say (just as we were leaving the venue) "I'm a bass player and you're much better than me!". How the hell do you reply to that!? :blink:
[/quote]
You say "I'm much better than everybody!"

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1428858488' post='2745342']
I don't get many compliments following gigs...but nobody normally speaks to me after gigs anyway! I appear to be Mr Unapproachable.

I have had compliments from time to time, and like others my normal response is "Thanks, glad you enjoyed our set".

I only get embarrassed about it if I don't think I've played very well.
[/quote]
Maybe you do get compliments but just can't remember!

........ I'm yet another who doesn't take compliments too welI - my response to a compliment from a stranger is usually along the lines of "Thankyou, I'm glad you've enjoyed the band". Compliments from within the band or from people I know usually get "Thanks, I'm just doing what needs to be done".

Chris

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1428858488' post='2745342']
I don't get many compliments following gigs...but nobody normally speaks to me after gigs anyway! I appear to be Mr Unapproachable.[/quote]

I think I know what you mean. At 62, after a gig or even during breaks it's like I'm invisible. Usually nobody speaks to me. Hell, I'm lucky if someone holds the door open for me when I'm lugging a cab out to me car during load out.

Oh well, I had my time back in the 70s.

You young guys, enjoy it while it's there,the attention youth brings doesn't last forever.

Blue

Edited by blue

I had some girl at a gig a month or so back say (just as we were leaving the venue) "I'm a bass player and you're much better than me!"
How the hell do you reply to that!? :blink:
[/quote]

Say 'Thanks, but you're a much better girl than I am...'

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1428832497' post='2744899']
...end-of-the-night drunks who will say anything just to have been seen talking to the band...
[/quote]

That's what I get - people who are usually off their faces, so I don't believe a word of it. I just smile and nod, smile and nod... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428877810' post='2745647']
That's what I get - people who are usually off their faces, so I don't believe a word of it. I just smile and nod, smile and nod... :)
[/quote]

We had a fairly well-lubricated guy with this kind of chat at a gig a while back, he was telling us we should come back to his place as he owned a brewery and had loads of beer in his garage. We politely declined, as I had a load of gear to take home and we suspected the stuff about the brewery and the beer might be a load of bollocks. The next day he sent a friend request on Facebook, and it turned out it was all true...

This is 2 pages of you guys saying people complimented you. . . . . . and that's after numerous threads where we're being told no one notices the bass player!

Well, it looks like the bass player [i]does[/i] get noticed after all.

I had some girl at a gig a month or so back say (just as we were leaving the venue) "I'm a bass player and you're much better than me!". How the hell do you reply to that!? :blink:[/quote]

For me it would be;

[i]" Before I say anything, do I look about the same age as your father?"[/i] :unsure:

Blue

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1428829713' post='2744835']
I had this exact experience last night - and I'm so bad at taking compliments.

A guy came to tell me how great my bass sound was etc and I just ended up waffling about my gear and awkwardly saying how I never get to hear it from the audience point of view etc.

Nice to have some praise I guess. I need to have a better response tho!
[/quote]
+1 I had this on Saturday night, and I did talk about my new head (Carvin BX700) and its EQ, blah blah. But he did say that we all sounded great. I thought that I sounded pretty good as well. Not bad as I was standing about 0.5m in front of the rig.

I usually say something "Thanks, very kind of you to say, thanks for coming" as others have suggested - acknowledging that it takes a bit of pluck on their part to make the effort to come and make the compliment.

What's disappointed me before is name players who, when approached with a similar complimentary manner about how their playing has made an impression, say "nah mate I was rubbish tonight".

I always try to deflect it towards the band - "Glad you enjoyed the band" or "thanks for staying and watching the band" - the bass is just a part of the whole, especially in our setup. I don't do anything clever or technical, just try and play it the way Phil did.

That said, a huge Lizzy fan who reeled off the times and tours he'd seen them on paid the whole band a massive compliment when he said any one of us could have could have played in Thin Lizzy - I didn't knowhow to react to that except for "Thanks, that means a lot"

Edited by DaytonaRik