Why become a member? ×

Soft Start?

4-string-thing

I noticed a bit of distortion whilst playing through my desk along to youtube earlier, and upon inspection, found the foam surround on one of the drivers was in bits (that's another thread maybe) Anyway, no problem my little-used Markbass Mini Mark has an aux input, I'll use that thinks I.

Once I'd found a suitable lead, I plugged in my bass and laptop, switched on, turned level up a bit and.... Nothing! I bought the amp s/h off here and the seller told me it was brand new and used for less than a couple of hours. I've barely used it too, despite owning it for about a year. It's probably only had a few hours use max!

I had noticed in the past that it took about 30 seconds after switching on before anything came out of it, but today it seemed to take ages. It got me wondering if Markbass build a "soft Start" into their amps? I should say that once I get a noise, it works perfectly and doesn't cut out or anything like that, it's just that it at start up, it takes a while for any signal to get through!

Any ideas?

Cheers!

My Big Bang head doesn't 'start' for a while after switching on. If you listen closely you can hear a small click and then it works, I assume it's some kind of protection as all the bits inside reach the right voltage, capacitors charge up, etc. Maybe to protect speakers?

Probably just a protection circuit as you surmise, The thump you sometimes get when you switch on an amp can get fairly serious if the amp is a few hundred watts. If it hammers the coil against the back of the magnet it can write off a speaker so far better to wait until voltages have stabilised before connecting up the power supply. The little click is probably the sound of a relay operating.

I can't say I have noticed a click, but usually I have the gain turned right down and I switch the amp on a minute or two before plugging in and turning up (which is why it's taken me so long to notice that it does this) I can't find anything in the online owners manual about it, but I'm guessing (hoping) it's to protect the speakers from that "thump" and not a fault....