Why become a member? ×

What to buy from the US ?

njr911

The Doris is off to the states (Austin, TX) in 2 weeks time so I have the opportunity to get some stuff from over there.

Probably not a bass - I have asked but she wont do it (selfish b***h) but smaller things that aren't worth the shipping costs to the UK.

So far - 3 Sub Pop tshirts

What else should I get - I looked at another Mono strap but they are the same price over here.

Pedeltrain ?

Lucky Charms?

The answer would be something small and very expensive. Bear in mind you are [u]supposed[/u] to cough up duty when you bring it through the airport on landing, and don't forget to warn her about the sales tax which is added at the till.

A friend of mine in NYC occasionally sends me aerosols of Gibson wax polish, vastly different and far superior to the lemon based pump they sell here. AFAIK you still can't get the aerosol here. Two cans lasts me years - and the smell reminds me of my first Gibson bass when I was 18.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1428941598' post='2746194']
Bear in mind you are [u]supposed[/u] to cough up duty when you bring it through the airport
[/quote]
I've heard of people being stopped and searched for receipts when going through customs for this very reason. From what I remember, the personal allowance for bringing items into the UK from outside of the EU is quite low and might just be enough for a set of stribgs (but certainly not enough for a bass).

Currently working on a ship in the states, some really good stuff over here, insanely cheap as well.

Might get myself a Aguilar head, the bass amps on board the ships are terrible, and they are around £80 cheaper over here.

Also there are some great small music shops with really great boutique pedals, worth buying and selling them as soon as you get back!

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1429025875' post='2747168']
I've heard of people being stopped and searched for receipts when going through customs for this very reason. From what I remember, the personal allowance for bringing items into the UK from outside of the EU is quite low and might just be enough for a set of stribgs (but certainly not enough for a bass).
[/quote]

The limit is £390 assuming you're arriving on something other than your own plane! Once you go over £390 it incurs duty and VAT so unless you're saving a upwards of 25% its not worth it.

I bought some mics and a couple of pedals last time I was over, but that was the days of 2 dollars to the pound, when it was like spending Monopoly money.

I'm over again in June/July, so I'll have to keep a look out. I bought a fantastic Ibanez acoustic bass in the US too : Ex demo, from a guitar centre in NJ, and it was about £120. We were just passing in the car, and it was on one of the main roads, strip mall style. Mrs A wanted a coffee and there was a Starbucks next door, so we pulled over and I went for a mooch. No intention of buying anything, but my wife encouraged me, as she thought it was 'pretty'. This is why I married her.