Why become a member? ×

Bass Cab minefield

Modman

Hello everyone!

I am having a bit of a dilemma. I currently have an old Trace Elliot 2x10 bass cab (200watts @ 8ohms) running with a peavey tour 700 (700 watts @ 4ohms). Now the Trace Elliot weighs the same as a small hippo and I am obviously not getting the full power out of my amp.

So, I have roughly £500 to spend on some new cabs. preferably running at 4 ohms (2x 8 ohm cabs or 1 x 4 ohm cab).

Since the budget is fairly small my choice is limited so bang for buck is essential. I also use a 5 string bass so I would need cabs that could handle the low B as well. I am guessing to that the 2nd hand market would be a good place to look too.

At the moment, I have been looking at the EBS Classic line 112's but their height is a little concerning. Also the Fender rumble 112's.

Basically, I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, ideas etc to help me have a better informed choice.

Cheers

Jake

Not entirely sure of your sound goals but for a budget of £500, I'd be looking at
2x Aguilar GS112's with horns.
That would give you 600w in cab capacity if you ran both and would draw 500w at 4 ohms
which is standard for a lot of amps. You'd have to be a bit careful if you ran with a 770/4
head but should be fine if you weren't OTT with FX..

The lows on these cabs are very very good and would have no problem putting out a thunderous low B, IME.
In terms of lows, best cabs I've used, altho the DB212 does very very well there as well.
I'm not looking for that sort of low end anymore... but the 2x112 config make them an easy carry/load.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428944955' post='2746255']
IMO the Barefaced Retro Two10 is a good idea.

Email Alex at Bearfaced and he'll tell you if it will or won't work.
[/quote]

This. It works superbly for me but I only play a 4 string

Edited by Jazzneck

I am very happy with my TC electronics BC range of cabs. I have a 210 and a 212. Together thats 500w in 4ohms and you could go for 2 x 212s instead.Now they have been replaced by the newer models you can pick up SH ones very cheap and they sound great.

Edited by bonzodog

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428944955' post='2746255']
IMO the Barefaced Retro Two10 is a good idea.

Email Alex at Bearfaced and he'll tell you if it will or won't work.
[/quote]

+1 - Alex will ask you the right questions and tell you if the retro 210 will work for you or not.

I've just had 2 super compacts from him and I couldn't be happier. Extremely lightweight and sound incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend a couple small single 15" cabs loaded with either JBL k or e speakers or EVM's. These speakers respond much quicker than 10's and have much more low and mid response. The modern 10" speakers respond very slowly, especially for slap or pick sounds. That's because of design compromise trying to make a 10" speaker reproduce useable low freqs.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1430066081' post='2757654']
A pair of TKS 112s. I doubt you'll get better for the money....
[/quote]

That's about £700 though, and the OP's budget is around £500... Quite a big difference for us bassists on a budget :(

Well luckily the wife allowed a budget of £600 and I found myself some Bergantinos (HT112 & EX112). Definitely worth the upgrade, every note just sings beautifully. Definitely won't need anything else for long time to come.

Cheers everyone!

[quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2758081"][/url]Modman, on 27 April 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Definitely won't need anything else for long time to come.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ha! We've all said [/font][/color][b][i]that[/i][/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] before... [/font][/color] :gas:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color] :D
[/quote]

YEP!!!! give it a couple of weeks!

Edited by The Badderer

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1430125339' post='2758081']
Well luckily the wife allowed a budget of £600 and I found myself some Bergantinos (HT112 & EX112). Definitely worth the upgrade, every note just sings beautifully. Definitely won't need anything else for long time to come.

Cheers everyone!
[/quote]

Good choice. I had a link to a pr of SL112's for £600. I think they were in Walsall...
They would have got my vote as SL112's came second in our recent limited 12" demo..
Price was right and I'd pay £100 more for them than for the GS's which I've seen for around
£500...

it isn't often it is great to be in Sweden from a bass equipment point of view, but you can get a pair of second hand TKS 112 in Sweden for £350 at the moment. I know, as I was shopping around for some. You don't get better speakers for that price Imho, albeit not the latest design/look.