Why become a member? ×

Ergo Instruments 5-string (high C) EUB - Withdrawn from sale
£500

*Edit* - I may be starting a project that could make use of this instrument so I am withdrawing it from sale for now. Apologies to anyone interested!

Price or Trade Value: £450 (not including shipping)

About 2 years old, from new. Never gigged and rarely used.

42" scale length made from a single piece of Mahogany (Honduran I think). All Ergo instruments are hand-made by Jesse Blu (the owner of Ergo) and comes fitted with a piezo pickup under the bridge. I think he now uses Cherry or Walnut for his basses [url="http://ergoinstruments.com/5-string-eub/"]http://ergoinstrumen...m/5-string-eub/[/url]

Unusually this is a 5-string with a high C and low E, so it is typically tuned EADGC .

Finish is a beautiful deep-red burst, like very dark mahogany faded into black

I bought this for a folk project a while back which unfortunately split up shortly afterwards! Sadly I've mainly been playing in electric bands since with little call for an upright sound. Shame to sell such a beautiful instrument but I've got to be ruthless if I want a new amp!

This plays beautifully and sounds great with a bow (during a brief experiment when I initially got it) as well as played with a pizzicato technique.

In excellent condition... the only non-original part of the bass is the bridge. The stock bridge was a piece of lightweight pine, or something (which is included!) but when experimenting with different sounds I had a new bridge made from solid maple by Chester based luthier Matthew Bascetta ( [color=#006621][font=arial, sans-serif]www.mjbluthier.co.uk/ )[/font][/color] who did a great job. You can see the new bridge in the photographs, it's a lot denser wood than the original which seems to give a slightly bassier sound than the stock bridge. The original is included though so you can swap them very easily!

The stand included is the original that came with the instrument. Also included is a home-made gig-bag with a pocket to wedge the stand into. It's perhaps not ideal but I'm not charging any extra for it!

Am based in Liverpool and would be able to travel to anywhere in the Liverpool or Wirral area, or Chester City Centre for collection. Unfortunately I don't drive so transport elsewhere is difficult! I will look at estimates for shipping if necessary.

Any questions or additional pictures required let me know!

Edited by Jateca

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Quite strangely, it's very close to a real acoustic double bass.

I've owned Jesse's own 6 strings and also an NS Design EU 4 strings after the Ergo and now my long awaited Leduc Contr-U-Bass 6 strings (again).

It's a real bargain, even if it looks a bit "nude", don't be fooled by that.

I sold it only because I found a low ball selling NS Design EU-4, which is more versatile, period.

Then I sold the EU-4, because of this Leduc.

GLWYS,

Tony.