Why become a member? ×

Which 1x12 cab would you recommend

natjag

I'm after a lightweight 1 x 12 cab. I already have a bergantino 2x12 but could do with a smaller cab for some gigs. What would you recommend. I have looked at the Barefaced cabs (not in person) they do seem more expensive compared to many other similar cabs.

I did start to look at the lightweight cab thread, but its 15 pages long and has more than just 1x12 cabs.

Edit, extra info:- I don't need huge amounts of volume as I've got the 2x12 for that, I'd still like it to kick out a bit. I'm not a slapper and play finger style, so prefer a warmer sound, having said that, I do like that the berg (with a GB shuttle 9.2 head) gives out what I put in.

Edited by natjag

Depends on what sound you`re looking at - I like the Barefaced cabs as they are very transparent, what you put in comes out pretty much uncoloured. If I were looking at 112s and Barefaced weren`t around I`d probably look to match up with my amp so would look at Aguilars, many seem to recommend the GS range. I`d also check out TKS cabs, again I see a lot of positive recommendations on here re this brand.

What sort of volume do you need? If it's going to be limited to 'reasonable', you absolutely can't go wrong with the [url="http://www.tks.se"]TKS S112[/url].

Comically light, ceramic driver, Bergantino build quality, and very reasonable prices.

Also has lots of custom options.

Considered a Bergantino 1x12 to match the 2x12?

You're spoilt for choice really. Are you looking for lightweight as well? If so, you could narrow the field a bit by deciding on a maximum weight and ignoring anything heavier.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428953921' post='2746423']
I'd offer up a
Berg AE112 and CN112.. really like them
Aguilar SL is a great cab but I've tried all the above and
I've just ordered 2 TKS S112's
[/quote]

Thats interesting. As you've tried them all. I'd never heard of TKS until I started this thread. Looks like The TKS cabs are the ones to consider at the moment from the comments here.

At the moment it's the TKS or probably the Berg CN112.

Another TKS fan here
I have 2 for when I need them, but one is plenty loud!
I had Berg HDs before. Great cabs!
But the TKS match them for sound IMO, and are a lot lighter.
That was the deciding factor for me.
You get to customise them too, so what's not to like? :)

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1428957707' post='2746484']
Hmmm, another tks fan here. I don't have anything to add on that front! But, if you like your Berg I'd recommend trying the 112 version of that. You anywhere near Reading?!
[/quote]

I'm in Enfield, North London, about an hours drive to reading (on a good traffic day)

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1428955286' post='2746449']
Thats interesting. As you've tried them all. I'd never heard of TKS until I started this thread. Looks like The TKS cabs are the ones to consider at the moment from the comments here.

At the moment it's the TKS or probably the Berg CN112.
[/quote]

Policesquad and I went to BassGear and tried the CN, SL and TKS S112's. I already owned the Berg AE112's,
and we wrote up our thoughts. I think there have been quite a few other TKS threads so a quick search
might help, but I would really suggest a visit to Bassgear anyway...
Give them a quick call to see what they have as demo stock, and also when their next customer delivery is.
I think the last order would be pretty big..?? :lol: ;)

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1429012356' post='2746959']
I love my Vanderkley MNT112. Handles a lot of gigs on it's own.

Really want to try out the TKS cabs though.

Go check some stuff out, only you and your ears can decide.
[/quote]

I'm going to Bass gear Wednesday. Vanderkleys are too big to fit in my car. I must have one size no more than 15" 38cm

Cheap as chips compared to those already offered but I'd say try the Fender Rumble V3, just gone from Purple Chili to this and it holds its own. I think I preferred the PC just a tiny bit more but selling it meant I could get two Fenders whereas I couldn't afford another PC.

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1428949319' post='2746326']
prefer a warmer sound, having said that, I do like that the berg (with a GB shuttle 9.2 head) gives out what I put in.
[/quote]

If its totally uncoloured sound you're after - I know they aren't cheap, but you won't go wrong with a Barefaced Super compact. At £549 they are in the ball park of some of the other boutique type cabs. I have 2 of them and I promise you that you wont be disappointed...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428953921' post='2746423'] I'd offer up a Berg AE112 and CN112.. really like them Aguilar SL is a great cab but I've tried all the above and I've just ordered 2 TKS S112's [/quote]

Out of interest, was price the deciding factor in the end?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1429100439' post='2747970']
Out of interest, was price the deciding factor in the end?
[/quote]

No... I already had Berg cabs at the time. I wont say it wasn't a factor at all, but
I didn't have to sell the Bergs, and if the top cabs, from my POV had have been
one of the others on the test, I would have bought them.

I hear something in the TKS cabs that I can really use...and it sets them apart, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1429104528' post='2748040']
No... I already had Berg cabs at the time. I wont say it wasn't a factor at all, but
I didn't have to sell the Bergs, and if the top cabs, from my POV had have been
one of the others on the test, I would have bought them.

I hear something in the TKS cabs that I can really use...and it sets them apart, IMO.
[/quote]

Same for me... long-time Berg user, with nothing but huge respect for Jim Bergantino.

The TKS just have the x-factor I struggle to find on other cabs.

Many thanks to all who responded to this thread. I went to Bass Gear today and tried a few 1 x 12 cabs. The Berg CN112, TKS S112, Aguilar SL112, and something else which wasn't quite a 1 x 12. I ended up going for the Aguilar SL112, which sounded better for my use. All the other cabs were great, the Berg CN112 was a little disappointing compared to my CN212.

I used it this evening for a show I'm doing which isn't loud and it sounded great. The Pianist (who's is also a bass player) thought it was the best I'd sounded. He had only heard me through his own Mark Bass amp and my make shift 1x12 PA bass bin and a different bass.