Why become a member? ×

Squier Bass VI volume issue

sirmuppet

Been gassing for one of these for a while now. With a new job I thought I'd treat myself. Gotta say I love it.

One issue though. When I took it to rehearsal last night the volume of the Bass VI compared to say my Fenderoppus bass was really low. Does anyone else find the Bass VI lacks output compared to a regular bass? Anyway to change this and level things out a bit?

Thanks, G.

[quote name='sirmuppet' timestamp='1429110494' post='2748132']
Thanks. Kinda thought that would be the case. So would going up to say 100's on the Bass VI help? Also changing the pickups in the Bass VI? I mean would Duncan QP jags work or would you suggest anything else? What about hot rails?
[/quote]

I think most people do replace the stock string for a gauge up so 100 might help, the slight higher tension will also allow a little more force to be used before getting fret buzz etc. And i would of thought the quarter pounder seymour duncans to be much higher output than the standard squier Jag ones.
Try just the larger gauge strings first though.

Thanks guys.

I compared the out put to one of my strats and it's still lower than that. That was also after raising the pickup height as much as I could.

I thought the strangle switch only cut the bottom end out but not affecting the output?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sirmuppet' timestamp='1429453292' post='2751483']
Thanks guys.

I compared the out put to one of my strats and it's still lower than that. That was also after raising the pickup height as much as I could.

I thought the strangle switch only cut the bottom end out but not affecting the output?
[/quote]

No, dependant on your amp settings, it can cut the volume quite substantially.

I mostly use my VI as a bass, but sometimes it takes lead and I have a pedalboard set up with an MXR 80+ to give a volume boost and lead tone at the end of the FX chain, so I never really touch the strangle switch.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

• 1 month later...

I 've begun to notice that the drop in output when the strangle circuit is engaged is highly affected by the tone control.

With the tone at full there is little volume loss but when the tone is rolled off the loss in volume is substantial.

Check out here, the fifth post down, for an apparent technical explanation - [url="http://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71490&start=1785#wrap"]http://offsetguitars...start=1785#wrap[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension