Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass appreciation!

interpol52

After years playing Ps I really wanted a 5 string and in 1996 Fender brought out the Jazz 5 and I had to have one. Bought the Crimson burst which is a nice colour which you don't often see but when it arrived it was set up so badly. The neck was set so low in the body there was no adjustment possible in the bridge. A little wage of cardboard did the trick, but for a US made instrument with a hefty price tag this was disappointing. I've still got it but it's never been the ultimate bass I expected it to be. It's also annoying that under some lights it hums, couldn't the guys at Fender come up with a decent humbucker for the Jazz?

[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][quote name='Clint' timestamp='1437131448' post='2823834'][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1]That is gorgeous and my ideal Jazz bass. Love the colour and bet it sounds awesome! Can I ask if you got it in the UK or did you get it from overseas?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][/quote][/size][/font][/color]

[font="Times"][size="3"][color="#000000"]​hi Clint - sorry for delay in replying - not been on much due to relocation for work. I bought the 64 CS Jazz in the UK through Guitar Guitar.... they are well worth checking out[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1429880048' post='2755928']I'm not a natural Fender fan, but this has the potential to radically change my perceptions.[/quote]

I wasn't until I bought my US Geddy. Now pondering a P to go with it.

The Dingwall Z3 is still my go-to though.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2007 Squier Frank Bello sig JB.

Picked it up recently in Cash Converters.

Installed a KiOgon series / parallel switched loom, Entwistle pups and Gotoh 201b bridge.

Added some Grover tuners and some abalone inlay knobs.

I think it sounds, plays and looks okay even with thebold skull motif.

Edited by Number6

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1429043031' post='2747377']
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]So my first (and only) Jazz is the one below, I bought it new in 2005 from the Academy of Sound (RIP) in Leeds[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Always good to see another Leeds resident! Was Academy of Sound on the business park that got levelled for the new structure that's currently going up? Just off Whitehall Road / Wellington Street? If so that was a great place!

I love this thread already, it's really making me want to pull the trigger and finally buy a Jazz while I'm on my week off...

I still love my RW Jazz. I've played a lot of basses recently
and shamelessly, I own more now than ever. But my RW is still my fave :)

Anyone on here own, or played the Bass Centre's Norman Watt-Roy special edition Jazz?
GAS is building up for one of these now. Just wondering what they're like. Although, it would have to go a long way to beat my RW

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1445850931' post='2894614']

Always good to see another Leeds resident! Was Academy of Sound on the business park that got levelled for the new structure that's currently going up? Just off Whitehall Road / Wellington Street? If so that was a great place!

I love this thread already, it's really making me want to pull the trigger and finally buy a Jazz while I'm on my week off...
[/quote]

Hello!

The one I bought from was out near the New Roscoe pub, bit further along towards Roundhay Road, it bit the dust years ago! Maybe is wasn't called Academy of Sound? I remember the one you are talking about though, that was a great shop. PMT seems to be the best bet in Leeds now, I miss Music Ground and Alpha Music though.

Good username by the way! Oh and did you pull the trigger?

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1443469654' post='2875065']
I'm definitely more of a J man than a P man, currently have 5 J's compared to the 2 P's and my go to bass is my '69 Oly White:

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/imperialbarge/69Jazz4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/imperialbarge/69Jazz3.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

That thing is stunning

Edited by AlexDelores

• 3 weeks later...

My wife bought me this today.....an early Xmas present 👍👍

I wanted a Jazz Bass but wanted to see if i could get something a bit unusual and i think i may have achieved it.

This is a Fame Deuce 4 which i believe are made by Mayones in Gdansk. It is an Alder body with maple neck and block inlays, Seymour Duncan pups and 22 frets! The colour is satin canary yellow nitrocellulose. I had a good play of it before i (she) bought it and i love it. The colour is definitely out of the norm and i doubt many people will know anything about Fame as a manufacturer.

Anyway i hope it meets with the BC approval.

:)

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1448408000' post='2915280']
My wife bought me this today.....an early Xmas present

I wanted a Jazz Bass but wanted to see if i could get something a bit unusual and i think i may have achieved it.

This is a Fame Deuce 4 which i believe are made by Mayones in Gdansk. It is an Alder body with maple neck and block inlays, Seymour Duncan pups and 22 frets! The colour is satin canary yellow nitrocellulose. I had a good play of it before i (she) bought it and i love it. The colour is definitely out of the norm and i doubt many people will know anything about Fame as a manufacturer.

Anyway i hope it meets with the BC approval.

:)
[/quote]

That's a nice one. Congrats man!

Love s good jazz bass too! I've had a 65, 66 (candy apple red with matching headstock - still my favourite bass), a 68, 69 and about 30 70s jazz basses and have pictures of them all!

I really liked the Japanese 62 reissues, I thought they were beautiful basses and I had a lovely salmon pink one. Geddy Lee was an incredible value bass as well, one of the easiest and most pleasurable basses I've ever used. Loved it.

I'm currently trying to find a pre-CBS jazz to add to the collection but they're getting tougher to find.

You just can't beat a good Jazz. I've been through a few over the years but I end up moving them all on after a while. The reason? It's this ESP I picked up in 1993. The guy I bought it off had painted Tank Girl, yes I know, onto it which had stained the gloss top coat so I sanded a lot of that off, down to the bare dull white which attracts all kinds of dirt and damages easily as a result. But it's been through countless gigs and rehearsals, always sounds perfect and it's the bass where I learned to just turn off the EQ. You don't need to mess around when the bass sounds good naturally. It took a while, and even old Fenders, new Sadowskys and more have come and gone in the meantime, but I realise that I'll never play a better Jazz bass than this so I've stopped trying.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1464230675' post='3057758']
I just got in this USA Geddy Lee Jazz today.

[/quote]

Nice! I'm currently gassing for one of those, I want to try before I buy but haven't found anywhere nearby that has one in stock!

• 3 months later...

This 'Vega Power' Jazz was given to me when I was 16. It was in a sorry state with only two strings and broken electronics, so I spent the next decade or so not thinking terribly much of it.

Then a couple of years ago I sort of absent-mindedly bought a couple of dirt-cheap Kluson 'Jaco' pickups and, lo and behold, it sounded awesome! So I gave it a good setup and now it's just a brilliant bass.

I know next to nothing about it. It's presumably from the late '70s, made in Japan from uber heavy plywood. It's sounds brilliantly clear and burpy. I love it. :)

Edited by Danuman

• 4 weeks later...