Why become a member? ×

Later tonight - not including bass.

spectoremg

Just listening to it on iplayer with a cheap pair of in ear headphones. Only got to 3rd act but can hear bass on all of them fine so far. Sadly I can also hear Damon Albarn's voice so there are parts I'll have to fast forrad thru ;) Leftie playing with N Prass sounds a good player.

Edited by KevB

I enjoyed the show; Blur were really on form I thought.. The Ong Ong song was great. :)

Laura Marling was as interesting as ever and showed again what a talented guitar player and singer she is...

Favourite of the night though, was Natalie Prass, who had a great bass player in her band - he was really funky!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1429314036' post='2750468']
I enjoyed the show; Blur were really on form I thought.. The Ong Ong song was great. :)

Laura Marling was as interesting as ever and showed again what a talented guitar player and singer she is...

Favourite of the night though, was Natalie Prass, who had a great bass player in her band - he was really funky!
[/quote]

me too! The Natalie Prass band made my ears prick up :)

Edited by bottomfeed

just listening to it now through my HI FI, sounds good, nice and balanced, and I'm the first to moan about the bass being low in the mix, even the Vaccines Ric sounded good lol, but you're not going to hear the bass through tele speakers are you? they're worse than they've ever been with these borderless flat screen TV's

I really liked Natalie Prass but when I listened to her studio stuff it seem incredibly tame by comparison - it's a shame as the live stuff has a nice edge to it.

If you liked Laura Marling it's definitely worth checking out Mary Margaret O'Hara, esp. Her Miss America album. Not being the most prolific of artists, she tends to have been overlooked over the years.

Another act worth having a look at is Pooka. British female folksy duo from the early 90s. Dropped guitar turnings and eerily amazing vocal harmonies. Like a hungover Joni Mitchell meets Pentangle.. They also guested on Brit electro/dance band Ultramarine's Bel Air album in the mid 90s - the track Mutant is a great mix of the two bands.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1429356074' post='2750721']
Looks like I'm overdue a hearing test :unsure:
[/quote]Oh I don't know look on the bright side, at least you can't hear boogie woogie piano either :D

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1429355991' post='2750717']
I really liked Natalie Prass but when I listened to her studio stuff it seem incredibly tame by comparison - it's a shame as the live stuff has a nice edge to it.

[/quote]

I thought the first Natalie Prass song, Bird of Prey, was the highlight of the show by quite a distance. I've got the album and it's grown on me but, like a lot of people, there's a bit more edge and rawness to her live sound which seems to suit her voice and general vibe. Album version has fairly prominent strings but I preferred the horn arrangement on Later.

Overall bass balance was Ok on my TV. Reasonably high end Sony in HD but not through hi-fi speakers. I could certainly hear some nice little runs Natalie Prass' bassman was playing :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1429358957' post='2750758']

I thought the first Natalie Prass song, Bird of Prey, was the highlight of the show by quite a distance. I've got the album and it's grown on me but, like a lot of people, there's a bit more edge and rawness to her live sound which seems to suit her voice and general vibe. Album version has fairly prominent strings but I preferred the horn arrangement on Later.[/quote]
I still may take a punt on the album but was definitely disappointed by the difference between the live sound and studio. And it begs the question why on earth didn't she use a horn section on the album?!

One of the great things about Later for me is its ability to throw up something that I'd probably have missed. Despite its flaws it's still an excellent show.

Laura Mvula doing See Line Woman on the Hootenanny show is one of the best bits of telly I've seen for years..

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1429396501' post='2751130']
I could hear Alex Jame's bass fine, I noted he was playing fingerstyle - he was always a rock'n'roll pick man in the brit pop years!
Must be low on cash and can't afford the 40p.
[/quote]

Cheese just doesn`t pay like it used to.

Just watched the show on iplayer and the mix sounded very good through my 2.1 setup. Always something different on there that usually takes my interest and sends me on a Google frenzy :)
It was Davina and the Vagabonds this time around.

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429444862' post='2751384']
Cheese just doesn`t pay like it used to.
[/quote]
:lol:

Mind you, he's still as quick witted as ever. Highlight of the show for me was when Jools Holland was interviewing Blur and showed them a clip of them playing 'The Universal' on Later 20 years ago. JH asked them something like "Looking back, what advice would you give to your younger selves now, 20 years on?" Quick as a flash, Alex J replies: "Drink more, shag more, and don't go to bed so early." :D

• 2 weeks later...

just listened to this weeks later, am I going deafer than ever or were the vocals really recessed, particularly Noel Gallaghers, at least Jools didn't get to join in on his piano
edit, last weeks later

Edited by PaulWarning