Why become a member? ×

Band merch and stuff...

Fisheth

Hey guys, looks like my band have a support slot in June with an up and coming Metal band. They've played Festivals and have featured in magazines like Terrorizer and Metal Hammer.

I was going to think about getting some merch made for it, so we could potentially sell stuff and get the word out there. Has anyone done this before? What would the most cost effective approach be?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429056752' post='2747607']
Hey guys, looks like my band have a support slot in June with an up and coming Metal band. They've played Festivals and have featured in magazines like Terrorizer and Metal Hammer.

I was going to think about getting some merch made for it, so we could potentially sell stuff and get the word out there. Has anyone done this before? What would the most cost effective approach be?
[/quote]

To be fair, budget isn't unlimited as we're really small (Yet to record an EP and playing our first gig on Friday) and playing places in Newcastle that are tiny as of yet.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1429057731' post='2747615']
If I was you, start small then, maybe some badges and stickers? They are always cool, everyone loves badges and stickers :)

Congrats on the support slot, what band is it with?
[/quote]

Risen Prophecy in June! Didn't want to say anything as it's not been officially announced yet, but we should be there.

You could consider some t shirts, and they can be had for not much these days if you supply your own design, but don't get too many sizes, and definitely get some big ones - there are some big lads and lasses about at gigs, especially the old guys, who tend to have waists that now measure what their chest used to.

Depending on the venue, a band I know had a load of girls skinny fit, strappy vest tops printed up and gave them to the barmaids, who wore them the night of the gig. That worked on a number of levels (!) and they were about £3 each IIRC.

Get a single screen (one colour design) and get some tshirts, we use shirtysomething.com, nice and friendly. If you have no recordings might be worth borrow a decent set of mics or something and recording a couple of songs and getting someone on here to make it listen-able, then burn them onto cheapy cd's and give them away with the t-shirts / almost as flyers!

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1429118661' post='2748256']
If the initial cost is prohibitive, try Dizzyjam. You upload artwork and your fans order merch direct. Dizzyjam then send you a share of the price.

Www.dizzyjam.com
[/quote]

Seems like a good idea for those just starting up!

but the stats on the home page make it look like each artist only sells 1-2 items!

[center][color=#000000]Artists Using Dizzyjam
[size=5][b]9,422[/b][/size][/color][/center]

[center][color=#FFFFFF][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][color=#000000]Products Shipped[/color]
[color=#000000][size=5][b]17,156[/b][/size][/color][/font][/color][/center]

Edited by Old_Ben

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1429118591' post='2748255']
Get a single screen (one colour design) and get some tshirts, we use shirtysomething.com, nice and friendly. If you have no recordings might be worth borrow a decent set of mics or something and recording a couple of songs and getting someone on here to make it listen-able, then burn them onto cheapy cd's and give them away with the t-shirts / almost as flyers!
[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea.

Was about to sell patches and stuff, but I don't know if it's worth it as Awesome Merch does it for 40 for 50 patches. I'd have to sell at least 15 to make a profit. Might be a good idea though,

Also one of the band got a prototype shirt and claims it was 12 quid to print it... That doesn't sound right to me. It's good quality though.

Edited by Fisheth

Most t-shirt companys will charge you around £20 for a screen (a colour on the design) then sell you t-shirts at £3.95 per t-shirt for orders of about 50, then reduce about 20p per extra 100 t-shirts etc, then add on postage + VAT your looking at around an initial small order of £280 for 50 t-shirts which makes each t-shirt around £5.60 each, but you have to order 50. But you get 25 in one colour and 25 in another it'll look like you have a couple of options for the same price... The good news is if you pick the right company you can use that same screen for hoodies, and other merch to throw in at a later date without having to pay for another screen done.

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1429118661' post='2748256']
If the initial cost is prohibitive, try Dizzyjam. You upload artwork and your fans order merch direct. Dizzyjam then send you a share of the price.

Www.dizzyjam.com
[/quote]

This, they are cool, and you can imbed them in Facebook/websites.

Hubby always wears our main logo tshirt and it always gets a lot if interest.