Why become a member? ×

Songs to make your brain burst

MarkW

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1429184371' post='2748841']
Anything AT ALL by Bon Jovi, Simply Red or UB40.

I've lost a DAB Radio to B*n J*vi - it went down the bog as I was trying to turn it off!
[/quote]
Haha! :lol: At least you didn't deliberately throw it down the bog. Or shoot it. :lol:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429098793' post='2747925']
Much as I love Jimmy Webb, 'MacArthur Park' has the full brain burst effect on me. It is just so ghastly and overblown. If I ever get as far as hearing the 'someone left the cake out in the rain' bit, I really want to throw things. :angry:
[/quote]

Nooooooo!! Love that song in both hit versions BECAUSE it is so overblown :D As for your criticism, "I don't think that I could take it....." there, given you a thoroughly deserved earworm for the rest of the day :ph34r:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1429184951' post='2748857']
Nooooooo!! Love that song in both hit versions BECAUSE it is so overblown :D As for your criticism, "I don't think that I could take it....." there, given you a thoroughly deserved earworm for the rest of the day :ph34r:
[/quote]
You b..bounder! :lol:

teenage kicks, really gets my goat and the worst thing is i have to play it in our band despite my constant complaints and total look of disinterest when playing it

edit
add mcarthur park to that (the first time ive heard it too), got to the bit where he sings about "someone left a cake out in the rain" bloody shtooopid

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1429098604' post='2747919']
Almost any of these 1 man acoustic guitar singer songwriter acts. The only I've heard that I actually enjoy is Jon Gomm the rest of them seem to be playing the exact same song over and over again to my ears.
[/quote]

+1

It's nearly all so terribly [i]boring[/i].

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1429188503' post='2748953']
Someone mention McArthur Park?
Thanks Kev, that was glorious - full MacAthur Park Suite too!!
[/quote]
[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1429193876' post='2749070']

edit
add mcarthur park to that (the first time ive heard it too), got to the bit where he signs about "someone left a cake out in the rain" bloody shtooopid
[/quote]

Pah, not accepting criticism from someone who thinks Bexleyheath is in South East London :P (ex Walworth Road boy)!!

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1429193876' post='2749070']
add mcarthur park to that (the first time ive heard it too), got to the bit where he sings about "someone left a cake out in the rain" bloody shtooopid
[/quote]

But that's the point of the song! To communicate the overwhelming [i]Weltschmerz [/i]that arises from the contemplation of such a shtooopid act as leaving a cake out in the rain...

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429098793' post='2747925']
Much as I love Jimmy Webb, 'MacArthur Park' has the full brain burst effect on me. It is just so ghastly and overblown. If I ever get as far as hearing the 'someone left the cake out in the rain' bit, I really want to throw things. :angry:
[/quote]

I love the tune and that fabulous arrangement, but God, Richard Burtons voice...eek...lol..

On the other hand, Will Lee on Bass and vocals (The Letterman house band) do a great
version live, with a fantastic over the top ending, complete with Will standing on a huge cake!
Another great arrangement with Jimmy Webb joining the band.

http://youtu.be/RUPSilcJFrQ

Edited by lowdown

I've got too many to list!

But from what I heard on the radio today - most production jobs from the last 15-odd years. I tend to start analysing a song as soon as it starts, and then by then end of it, detest it!

I did read something about this a while back. It was said by a musician that he wished he could go back to hearing music like 'most' people - ie, record comes on, and just enjoy it for what it is. The point he had reached - which admittedly I can totally agree with - was that as soon as he hears a track, in his head he immediately de-constructs it, and therefore can never hear or enjoy a song for what it is.

I'm always by the radio at work bemoaning 'that terrible snare sound', etc, to to general indifference of everyone else! :o

Anything from 'Stars' by Simply Red. I lived with a woman (not in a relationship) in a flatshare and she played the bloody CD over and over and over and over again until I was seriously close to the point of losing my temper. We did calmly discuss the situation and tried to compromise with her, but as she couldn't understand how anyone else could possibly have a different musical preference to her, this fell on stony ground. Absolutely hateful pile of crap and the worst of its time and genre in my opinion. Quite apart from the terrible songs, rubbish arrangements and downright bad performances, the very production values make me want to hurl giant reeking chunks just thinking about them. Luckily the CD was 'lost' when she was out at work one day and she never quite got round to replacing it, somehow. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1429203180' post='2749225']
Since when was Richard Harris Richard Burton? Although you never saw them in the same room together.
[/quote]

Who can forget Richard Harris's stirring performance of that Bob Dylan Thomas classic, "Under MacArthur Wood"?