Why become a member? ×

Songs to make your brain burst

MarkW

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1429284623' post='2750057']
If Morrissey ever forms a harmony trio with John Lydon & Damon Albarn I may have to leave the country. Or planet. Or something.
[/quote]
I trying to imagine what that would sound like, and the best I can come up with is.... Bob Dylan.

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1429094627' post='2747861']
No Doubt's "Don't Speak"
[/quote]

our band has a few collaborative playlists on spotify - one of them is called 'next new stuff suggestions'

guess what just made an appearance rather spookily around about the same time that you posted this thread :lol:

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1429290650' post='2750154']
:lol: In fairness, Lizzy is so done to death by lazy pub bands it's a shame when you get sick of cracking songs.
[/quote]

Ah yes, but that is a slightly different dilemma. I'm a bit sick of Alright Now due to over exposure. But I never liked Lizzy in the first place. If I had to pick one brain bursting song it would be The Boys are Back. All on one note and truly banal lyrics.

What gets me about MacArthur Park isn't necessarily leaving the cake out in the rain, although that is a foolish thing to to. It is the fact that she'll never have that recipe again, why? Why did she get rid of the recipe, that is carelessness in the extreme, and what happened to it, did she leave it with the cake and the paper became so wet that it broke? Did she throw it in the bin? Did she accidentally drop it on a fire?

Anyhow..... For mine:

Wonderful tonight - Eric Clapton
lay down Sally - Eric Clapton
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

I think you can see a theme :P

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1429294183' post='2750233']
What gets me about MacArthur Park isn't necessarily leaving the cake out in the rain, although that is a foolish thing to to. It is the fact that she'll never have that recipe again, why? Why did she get rid of the recipe, that is carelessness in the extreme, and what happened to it, did she leave it with the cake and the paper became so wet that it broke? Did she throw it in the bin? Did she accidentally drop it on a fire?

Anyhow..... For mine:

[/quote]

But isn't the singer WH doesn't have the recipe? The someone who baked and left it may still have the recipe. Perhaps - before it got wet - the singer was planning on taking the cake home and reverse-engineering the recipe from it.

Anyway, I feel a mash-up of Wonderful Tonight and Lady in Red coming on...

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1429294183' post='2750233']

Anyhow..... For mine:

[/quote]I'll be the Roundabout, the words will make you out and out, we'll spend the day your way!

Hotel California - The Eagles.

Hate it. Awful, annoying guitar solo. Riddled with clichés.

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

Symbolic of everything that was wrong with the 1980s

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

The ultimate "I'm going to force my idea of a good night on everyone else" anthem. Beloved of people who think that if you haven't put 1500 pictures of your evening on Facebook to show everyone just HOW MUCH FUN you're having then you can't possibly be enjoying yourself. All of the subtlety of a brick in the face but with none of the charm. Awful, awful, awful.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1429098149' post='2747911']
Everything I have heard of Radiohead, except Creep.

Meatloaf's I Will Do Anything For Love

There are songs that I used to love, and still would, but can't listen to because they bring back bad memories and just cripple me.
[/quote]
Ditto to Radiohead. I like to think I'm fairly broad minded musically, with very little I don't like. Radiohead, however, is just impenetrable for me - except for Creep. Maybe I'm just not clever enough to 'get it'.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1429344489' post='2750551']
Just seen some Clapton tracks listed, so feeling brave (but will still put the tin hat on and hide) - Layla, esp that Allman drivel at the end, it's just an horrendous racket! Right, I'm off......
[/quote]

You're not alone.

Anything by Scouting for Girls makes me furious.

My other half often gets bits from superdrug and they seem to have THAT song on a loop.

She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely

AARRRRGGHHHHH

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1429350559' post='2750636']
With regard to dear old Micky Hucknall: every time I hear "I keep holdin' on" I just think for f###s sake let go, Micky, let go. And I hope you're a really long way up.
[/quote]
Yep. Micky please just 'let it go, let it goooooo...'. Oh god, not that Frozen song again ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1429284623' post='2750057']
If Morrissey ever forms a harmony trio with John Lydon & Damon Albarn I may have to leave the country. Or planet. Or something.
[/quote]

At least you could get them all in one place, and then...

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1429334946' post='2750494']
Imagine if bonito did a duet with mick hucknall
[/quote]

By 'bonito' do you mean 'bonio'?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1429341656' post='2750521']
[/quote]

This album was on rotation along with 'Stars'. Yes, the same flat, the same time, the same woman. So you can kind of understand why I don't like Simply Red or The Eagles. There is a special place in hell for The Eagles though, for being so thoroughly mediocre to the point of playing their material live so that it sounded exactly like the recordings. Blooarrghh!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1429341656' post='2750521']

Hate it. Awful, annoying guitar solo. Riddled with clichés.

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

Symbolic of everything that was wrong with the 1980s

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

The ultimate "I'm going to force my idea of a good night on everyone else" anthem. Beloved of people who think that if you haven't put 1500 pictures of your evening on Facebook to show everyone just HOW MUCH FUN you're having then you can't possibly be enjoying yourself. All of the subtlety of a brick in the face but with none of the charm. Awful, awful, awful.
[/quote]Yep, I hate those 'if you're not enjoying this you're not having a good time' songs.