Why become a member? ×

Songs to make your brain burst

MarkW

Anyone who has seen Mars Attacks! will be familiar with the spectacular incompatibility of Martian brain with Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call". It occurred to me yesterday evening, as I was forced to endure No Doubt's "Don't Speak" whilst standing in the chippy, that there are some songs that have a very similar effect on me. In the end I popped outside to the newsagent to peruse the motorbike mags rather than have to listen to another second of it.

I just can't stand it. I can't stand the singers horrible nasal voice, I hate the structure of the song, I hate the silly guitar solo in the middle, and I loathe the lazy 'Ooh-la-la-la' nonsense and the interminable ending. Having to listen to it actually makes me tetchy and bad-tempered.

Am I alone, or do other people have songs that they physically can't bear listening to?

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1429094627' post='2747861']
Anyone who has seen Mars Attacks! will be familiar with the spectacular incompatibility of Martian brain with Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call". It occurred to me yesterday evening, as I was forced to endure No Doubt's "Don't Speak" whilst standing in the chippy, that there are some songs that have a very similar effect on me. In the end I popped outside to the newsagent to peruse the motorbike mags rather than have to listen to another second of it.

I just can't stand it. I can't stand the singers horrible nasal voice, I hate the structure of the song, I hate the silly guitar solo in the middle, and I loathe the lazy 'Ooh-la-la-la' nonsense and the interminable ending. Having to listen to it actually makes me tetchy and bad-tempered.

Am I alone, or do other people have songs that they physically can't bear listening to?
[/quote]

I like that song. And the lovely Gwen Stefani :happy:
However, that awful Cher song where they do that awful effect on her already dreadful voice really burst my brain!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1429095218' post='2747869']
However, that awful Cher song where they do that awful effect on her already dreadful voice really burst my brain!
[/quote]

Ah, yes - any song on which they've deliberately pushed the autotuner too hard to give the vocal that horrible electronic warble. Seems to be de rigeur for a large proportion of top 40 artists, judging by the insufferable s***te I hear piped into cafes, bars, etc., and it just makes me want punch things.

Most Abba songs. I can't fault the songwriting, but the overall finished songs make me want to vomit.
Ironically, I went & saw Mamma Mia in the cinema & thoroughly enjoyed it!
Must be the original vocals that do it.

'Strong' by Robbie Williams. In fact, 90% of his work gives me brain-burst.

What grinds my gears more than almost anything, however, is the insertion of a needless 'rap' in a song for no reason other than to add 'urban flava'. Absolutely does my box in. Like when Jay Z chimes in on Beyonce records with such insightful musings as "It's your boy" and "Holla". Grrr...

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1429096986' post='2747889']
Ah, yes - any song on which they've deliberately pushed the autotuner too hard to give the vocal that horrible electronic warble. Seems to be de rigeur for a large proportion of top 40 artists, judging by the insufferable s***te I hear piped into cafes, bars, etc., and it just makes me want punch things.
[/quote]

Quite. And, for the opposite reason, anything by The Lighthouse Family. And the bit just before the solo on There Must Be An Angel.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429105325' post='2748047']
Oh, and pretty much anything by The Beautiful South. Especially that Jennifer thing.
[/quote]

Oh, too right. And also bloody Ebony and Ivory. Although I agree with the sentiment, of course.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429105325' post='2748047']
Oh, and pretty much anything by The Beautiful South. Especially that Jennifer thing.
[/quote]

Yes, the sound of smugness.

Also, I used to like Prefab Sprout and The Divine Comedy. Since ripping all my CDs to iTunes, I now immediately hit skip whenever one of their tracks come up.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1429101851' post='2747992']
I wonder what Bilbo's contribution to the thread will be ??? ;)

I'm sure he'll be along soon to let us all know.......for the 100th time !! :lol: :P
[/quote]

This is important stuff. Until there is an outright ban on it, it will remain on my agenda.