Why become a member? ×

advise for someone wanting to get into dep gigging

karlplaysbass

Go and see local bands. If you like what they do, chat to themn after the gig, mention you can dep if required - a busines card will also help. Get their setlist off their website and familiarise yourself with as much of their set as possible. Then wait for the call!

You can do a similar thing via JoinMyBand and BandMix, where youcan also advertise yourself.

I have done loads of dep gigs over the years. Most pro gigs tend to be function or tribute bands so knowing the material is essential. I don't find many function gigs require reading these days although will be needed for theatre shows. If I need cheat sheets for unfamiliar songs I personally try to keep the info to a minimum as many bands have their own arrangements of songs so listening and quick response is also vital. Also learn to think of chord changes numerically as you'll play many songs in different keys, for example instead of C F Dm G think 1425 in the key of C, a knowledge of modes also will help with this. A good exercise I use with students to build ear training and instincts is to busk along with the radio (radio 2 good for popular tunes),

Hi Karl I manage my own function bands and do a bit of dep work . I recently went from a full time job to working 3 days a week because I can now match my wage with gigs etc.
From a band leader point of view: I generally tend to take on deps that have been recommended to me, or from bands that I've depped with previously. So it's really important to get out there and meet other people. Are you studying music at Uni? If so stay in touch with your fellow students. Go to Jam nights etc. talk to as many people as you can and tell people what you do - you'll be surprised where work comes from. I sold a double bass at the weekend and the bassist and guitarist turned up to check it over. Within 5 minutes they'd offered me a gig! I was already booked, but I've since offered the bassist work too, so no doubt something will come from that chance meeting.
As a player: get some videos and recordings of you playing. Try and build yourself a website if possible to (I'm planning on doing this over the next few weeks). Chase work, Join Facebook groups and scour the band/musician seeking websites reply to as much as possible. The more work you do the more you'll get.
I've done some work with these guys: http://www.dkmanagement.co.uk/. The pay isn't mega bucks but once you're in a band/on the books you end up playing for a lot of their bands in the area.

You probably won't get rich doing it, and you might need to supplement your income with teaching or other work like I do. Or if you're young and don't have any responsibilities you could try cruise work? You'll generally need to be a reader and have a good knowledge of tunes in loads.

As said above. Look smart, be on time, learn the tunes- and be personable/enthuisiastic.

Get known for being able to cover the gig..and that means you need to know as many songs and
styles as possible. Blues bands don't want a funk player, for example, but they'll like a PLAYER
that makes the rest of the band sound good with little or no prep. So crossover with styles as well
as a whole host of tunes. You don't pick the set, the gig does, so you'll need a method of playing
the songs well, quickly. Either read it, if the band has parts, but you'll more likely need good ears
and good feel and be busking from basic chord charts. Good gear and sound is a given.
You just need to get to a place where you are comfortable in most situations and can play most things.

Make sure you have transport and good gear, preferably reliable.
As mentioned, learn all the classic covers if it's covers / pub bands you're going after.
Get your name about as previously mentioned and don't give anyone a hard time.

Alternatively, offer to pick up the lead singer and the P.A. on the way. That way, you don't even have to be any good ;)

Edited by leschirons

Loads of good advice on here. Having reliable gear and car is a must. Be on time, and confident but respectful, and just as important - play what's needed.

Got my first dep gig 20 odd years ago - a mate of mine recommended me to a local covers band he knew a few of the guys in. Next thing I knew, it was one 2 hour rehearsal, and then straight into two gigs in four days, and I did some work with them and some other bands over the next few years. Word of mouth can open a lot of doors for you :).

Good luck!!

With age comes experience, so in some ways, yes. I do a lot of depping and in my experience it's ALL about who you know. So, get into a function band (if that's what you want to do) and over time you'll meet their deps. If those deps like you they may ask you to play with their bands here and there. Then you meet more musicians, and it will snowball into (hopefully) lots of work. It isn't easy starting out but stick with it, it takes time to build up.

[quote name='karlplaysbass' timestamp='1429192321' post='2749035']
is age a factor in this or is it just how good you play and how nice you are?(and of course all the other factors above)
[/quote]

Not really, playing trumps all... that is if the booker isn't a bass player:lol:
Of course, you can't be an ar$ehole but if you are really top notch, maybe
some will even get away with that..

Network, Network, Network.

Reading helps in certain circumstances, double on upright, know your instrument inside out and be proficient in all styles and techniques, be better at busking than the next guy and be available. Put yourself in the position of always being able to say yes, no matter what is offered.

But network, be good, be what people want and and make them want to play with you. Nathan East said at a bass clinic last year: getting the first gig isn't difficult. Getting called back is the hard part.

Good luck.

Don't spend a year saying no to all your usual bookings, they find new deps, and stop asking.

;)

I have enjoyed my year off mind...

And +1 to playing in a function band, I got loads of extra work from a 2 month stint in one I didn't want to stay in any longer. The bandleader recommends me to everyone she knows as well, it's very handy.

Another good 'in' if you are a reader is the amateur dramatics route. Pantos, musicals and stuff. Usually two or three pro players in the pit who are well connected to The Matrix of the local music scene.
Just remember to bring your own music stand *ducks* a pencil and a battery powered stand light.
Theatre gigs have been my only source of paid musical income for 20 years and it's a right old laugh.