Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-300

NoirBass

I tried one at Musikmesse earlier this week. It did't seem like it was entirely finished... The tracking was quite poor especially when you played chords (I treid it with guitar only unfortuately). However, it may have been tampered with by some random users getting into every menu dialing in weird settings - I didn't have much time so never really got into the menus to lurk around.

Hope that price comes down though! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1430412661' post='2761205']
Sounds a bit ropey to be honest. I'd like ti hear what users can get out it after months of tweaking and gigging etc, but it sounds like quite an expensive toy at the moment.
[/quote]

yeah, that demo doesn't sound too exciting to me...

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1430412661' post='2761205']
Sounds a bit ropey to be honest. I'd like ti hear what users can get out it after months of tweaking and gigging etc, but it sounds like quite an expensive toy at the moment.
[/quote] Agreed not really anything mind blowing or new is it? where would you use those sounds?

I thought a few of the presets were very samey, and he played fantastically but how many of the end users of this unit will play fast runs like this - I thought it showed some of the glitches rather than fast tracking.

I reserve judgment. Makes me miss my korg G5 though.

Edited by AndyTravis

• 3 months later...

Well I've had an SY-300 for a trial, it has superb polyphonic tracking which can even handle sustained notes on fretless bass with no glitches, but in the final analysis the current presets are demo type patches for guitar rather than out-of-the-box usable for bass and I don't have the time or patience to program the thing.

That said, programming is pretty straightforward either on the machine itself or on the PC/Mac software, but with so much programmability you need to be a really keen patch tweaker to get the best out of it. I'm sure in a few months there will be some great bass patches in the shared library to download but at the moment it's all potential rather than instant gratification.

I'm sticking with my Super Synth for now.

yichufai

Edited by yichufai