Why become a member? ×

Am I right to buy a Yamaha bb1025 ?

Black Coffee

[quote name='alhbass' timestamp='1429890645' post='2756093']
I love my 1024. I've had many more expensive instruments in the past - some have been great, some less so - and they've all come and gone in due course... But the 1024 has stayed and wont be going anywhere anytime soon. Absolutely amazing value, even from new.
[/quote]

Ditto! I have a 1024x ...I've not been able to put mine down since I bought it, sounds great with my band. Even acoustically it absolutely resonates and sings. I tried a 1025 in the yamaha music store london, I've never been a 5 player but it was very comfortable to play, neck dimensions are great....it is without doubt the next bass on my list. And they have just reduced the prices I think....£634 for a 1025, £672 for a 1025x....tthe playability and build quality make this a steal

Ed Friedland comments here that the ceramic (jazz-position) has more bite and the alnico (p-position) is warmer. Does this mean the 424, in comparison to the 2025, will have a more aggressive p sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rscMwAdyhLE

• 3 weeks later...

If you can find one that is.
My Ibanez flirtation didn't work out (fantastic bass but just didnt sound as good in my band situation as the BB) so I've gone back to a BB I ended up getting onto Yamaha London who gave me an offer of a great price on the 1025 and 425.

I wanted to go for a 1025 but when it came to it they couldnt source one! non in uk, Japan etc. I ended up getting a 1025 from dv247 via their Musicstore in Germany. they even matched Yamaha London's price

it came set up perfectly even better than the 1024 I had previously.

when I had bought the 1024 Mark at bass direct had said they were being discontinued. Perhaps they're too close to the 20?? series
if you want one and can source one get it. If not there are plenty of 425s about and they really represent the best value put there at the moment IMHO

I'm really struggling just now whether to go for a 1025 or stick with the 425.

The 425 is about 90% of what I want sound and playability wise. If I had a negative it would be that it's quite heavy but I think it could be more to do with the slight neck dive causing me to have to hold it and this in turn giving me a sore shoulder over the course of a 4-5 hour gig rather than the actual weight.

I have a wide neoprene strap that I've used for years so a strap isn't the answer. I wonder if a set of Ultralights would help matters?

I have the money to get the 1025 now but I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it to me to pay more than twice what the 425 cost me to get that extra 10%, even 5% would do.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1431969470' post='2776760']
I'm really struggling just now whether to go for a 1025 or stick with the 425.

The 425 is about 90% of what I want sound and playability wise. If I had a negative it would be that it's quite heavy but I think it could be more to do with the slight neck dive causing me to have to hold it and this in turn giving me a sore shoulder over the course of a 4-5 hour gig rather than the actual weight.

I have a wide neoprene strap that I've used for years so a strap isn't the answer. I wonder if a set of Ultralights would help matters?

I have the money to get the 1025 now but I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it to me to pay more than twice what the 425 cost me to get that extra 10%, even 5% would do.
[/quote] if that 10% is weight then worth it.

The bbs are heavy end of! that was the reason I went looking at others but in the end the tone. String spacing and playability brought me back.
My current 1025 came better set up and balances better than my 1024 without a hint of neck dive on a wide leather strap. I still get pain after several hours so am considering other strap options.

ive only played 1 424 and thought it was very good but got a good deal on my 1025 so decided it was worth the extra. The upgrades are quite substantial but if your gonna notice a massive difference im not so sure.
Maybe if you can order one with a 30 day return A-B it with your 425 in a band setting and decide then.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1432017766' post='2777198']
if that 10% is weight then worth it.
[/quote]

Good luck, my BB1025X is much heavier than my old BB415! I think it is purely luck of the draw, assuming they both use the same body wood it varies from tree to tree!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1432027208' post='2777308']
The bbs are heavy end of! that was the reason I went looking at others but in the end the tone. String spacing and playability brought me back.
My current 1025 came better set up and balances better than my 1024 without a hint of neck dive on a wide leather strap. I still get pain after several hours so am considering other strap options.

ive only played 1 424 and thought it was very good but got a good deal on my 1025 so decided it was worth the extra. The upgrades are quite substantial but if your gonna notice a massive difference im not so sure.
Maybe if you can order one with a 30 day return A-B it with your 425 in a band setting and decide then.
[/quote] my old bb1200 is about 9lb which isnt too bad

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1432061388' post='2777767']
I've made a decision and ordered a 1025 in tobacco brown sunburst. It's the sensible choice for me given how well it fits in with the band & material that we cover and will make my 425 a very capable backup.

[/quote]
fine choice Im sure you wont be disappointed. Im thinking of going the other way and picking up a 425 when i have a few quid spare!
Look forward to a NBD where you can let us know how they compare

Edited by thebuckets

Bugger - got it yesterday and had a good look over it. Body is flawless, love the metal nut and prefer the bridge on this compared to the 425 but

There's something badly wrong with the neck, it's rough as a badger's. Like it hasn't been finished properly. I though it was polish or something but a light wipe hasn't taken it off. The place I bought it from has found one at a distributors in France that they can get me but I'm in two minds now whether to get it swapped or return it and stick with the 425 and get a set of Hipshot Ultralites.

I'm not going to do anything rash I'll think it through logically and make a decision on Sunday.

My 1024 had one small apot around the 15th fret that felt, not rough, but just not as smooth as the rest. I just decided to get on with it and it never bothered me playing it. My 1025 however is like silk throughout the whole neck. Id suggest maybe try the two basses A-B ed against each other with tour band and see if you prefer the 1025 sound. Then youll know if its worth the wait. Now ive found a real nice one I dont wanna put it down!

I know that it would just be a matter of lightly running some steel wool up and down the neck a couple of times but I would only do that on a secondhand bass not a brand new one.

I bought the tobacco burst one but they don't have any more in the UK. They do have a caramel brown one that I actually really like so I've asked if they can swap it for that but I would need to have it by Wednesday 29th in order for me to do a string change and setup in time for next weekend's gigs. I'll see what happens

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1432378261' post='2780962']
I had the CB 1024 not seen any photos that show it up as nice as it is in the flesh. More of a honey burst with nice grain showing through
[/quote]
Yeah ive found the same with my CB 1024, in the flesh a stunner. And yes, I think the honey burst idea is quite close. I think the grain pattern on mine is gorgeous.

Well the tobacco burst one went back yesterday and I was supposed to get the caramel one today but the couriers decided that they'd rather deliver it back to the shop that I was buying it from - idiots :angry:

The upshot is that I will be gigging this weekend with no back up as they can't get one to me until Friday and I'll probably be half way to Aberdeen by the time it arrives. I've spoken with the guy who's been looking after me and he's left it with me to decide what I want to do as originally I had said that if they couldn't get one to me by today then I'd have to cancel the order.

I will say that I've had excellent service so far from Yamaha Music London where I bought it from and they've done everything possible to get things sorted out.

But it's kind of taken the shine off getting it now so I really don't know what to do.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1432765294' post='2784869']
Well the tobacco burst one went back yesterday and I was supposed to get the caramel one today but the couriers decided that they'd rather deliver it back to the shop that I was buying it from - idiots :angry:

The upshot is that I will be gigging this weekend with no back up as they can't get one to me until Friday and I'll probably be half way to Aberdeen by the time it arrives. I've spoken with the guy who's been looking after me and he's left it with me to decide what I want to do as originally I had said that if they couldn't get one to me by today then I'd have to cancel the order.

I will say that I've had excellent service so far from Yamaha Music London where I bought it from and they've done everything possible to get things sorted out.

But it's kind of taken the shine off getting it now so I really don't know what to do.
[/quote]

I'd still make the purchase, the 1-0's are leaps ahead of the 4-2's in my opinion & I have both. Not that there's anything wrong with the 4-2's.
In a few weeks you'll have forgotten about the inconvenience & you'll just be diggin on your new bass.

Edited by Horizontalste

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1432767029' post='2784892']

I'd still make the purchase, the 1-0's are leaps ahead of the 4-2's in my opinion & I have both. Not that there's anything wrong with the 4-2's.
In a few weeks you'll have forgotten about the inconvenience & you'll just be diggin on your new bass.
[/quote]
plus 1 on giving it another go. I tried 4 other basses from dv247 (they werw great tbh) before coming back to the yammie bb (1025) the wait was worth it. Lovely smooth neck and i cant put it down. The messing about is a distant memory now.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1432765294' post='2784869']

[/quote] messed you about a bit... how much of a discount off a 2025 will they give you?