Why become a member? ×

Am I right to buy a Yamaha bb1025 ?

Black Coffee

I've got a Yamaha bb425x and it's just so comfortable I'm thinking about an upgrade and I'm wondering if you can still get them. The 425x is not an expensive bass but it just fits right.
Are the 1025s worth the money ?
Would I be better holding out for a secondhand one ?

Any opinions would be welcome.
Thomann have a stock and I may have to go new as I see none secondhand.

I have a 425 and love it. I'm considering a 1025 as a 40th birthday present to myself if I still love the 425 as much come August 14th this year.

The different body construction, nut made of the same material as the frets and the bar P pickup seem to the be the 3 main differences. I'm guessing that it's the same neck used on the 425 which I find extremely comfortable.

If I buy it I will in all probability have the 425 defretted.

I tried a BB1024 recently and what a superb piece of kit it is! Through body stringing and really good hardware. The tone was very good and the build and quality control was excellent.

In the end i bought a P bass but only for the reason that i'd never owned one and i already have a Yam TRBX 305 five string.

I really rate Yamaha's

I've been thinking of buying a 424 but I do keep looking at the 1024. I need to get to a shop that has both. Is the 424 as good a bass as a squirt? In terms of build and usable tone?

I mean squier... Blooming autocorrect!

Edited by darren

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1429340781' post='2750516']
I've been thinking of buying a 424 but I do keep looking at the 1024. I need to get to a shop that has both. Is the 424 as good a bass as a squirt? In terms of build and usable tone?

I mean squier... Blooming autocorrect!
[/quote]

I only have experience with the affinity series & in my opinion they are better.
The BB's will do a nice woody precision sound or a burpy jazz one.
I've never heard anyone knock the build quality of the Yamaha either & the ones I've had (614,300,425&1024) have all been excellent.

Personally I would say that the BB424/5 = MIM standard quality at minimum. I certainly can't fault mine in any way and it's replaced my MIM Fender FSR Precision Special in the wedding band.

I haven't tried a BB1024/5 so can't comment on that but I'd expect it to be very good.

Looking at these models, there doesn't seem to be very many places with them in stock.

Ive just sold my 1024 to a guy in Australia! Was up on here but noone seemed genuinely interested. Not posted it yet and already know im gonna miss it.

Ive had several usa p basses and for me the yammie beats them hands down. Not owned a 42? But played a 424 at pmt and thought wow these are good. Bought the 1024 blind and it was excellent

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1429371978' post='2750916']
Ive just sold my 1024 to a guy in Australia! Was up on here but noone seemed genuinely interested.
[/quote]

Saw that. I'd have bought it myself, if I didn't already have one. Rock monsters!

I prefer the P pickup in the 424/425 and older 414/415 to the one in 102*/202* series. Less pillowy lows, more texture in the mids, and yeah, better P-bass approximation. All of them are lovely basses, if I were buying now I'd probably grab a 1025 based on built specs, but as I'm really happy with my 415, I don't feel the need.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1429476639' post='2751818']
I'm one of the few who actually prefers the 424 over the 1024. Mainly because it does an accurate Precision impression, whereas the 1024 sounds a bit more 'refined' to my ears. The 1024 is better made but the 424 is still superbly put together and an absolute bargain for what it is.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. Im anout to wave my 1024 off to the courier and had a sleepless night thinking about it. Just bagged a new ibby 5 string hoping the close string spacing will work with my bust hand. If it dont its going back on my 30 day return and a 425/1025 will be my replacement. Yes they're too heavy for me but oh the tone!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429513754' post='2752005']
I thought the 1025X did a better P impersonation with its alnico pickups vs the duller sounding ceramic one in the 415!
[/quote]

The P pickup in 415 is alnico as well, with traditional polepieces though as opposed to bars is 1025. The J is ceramic in both.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1429530392' post='2752259']
The P pickup in 415 is alnico as well, with traditional polepieces though as opposed to bars is 1025. The J is ceramic in both.
[/quote]
does anyone know if the 425 is ceramic or alnico?
sounds killer anyway so i know it doesnt matter too much!

Edited by thebuckets

I always though the BB415 used a ceramic P pup... I found a few references to it being ceramic on the interweb:

http://www.wollongongmusic.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProdID=1290
http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/product/yamaha-bb415-5-string-bass/602082

And also some saying it's alnico!

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-bb-415-orange-metallic/16121
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/yamaha-bb415-5-string-bass#productDetail

I love my 1024. I've had many more expensive instruments in the past - some have been great, some less so - and they've all come and gone in due course... But the 1024 has stayed and wont be going anywhere anytime soon. Absolutely amazing value, even from new.