Why become a member? ×

Mesa/Boogie Diesel R5410 Powerhouse 1000 Opinions

RedSlap

Hello folk

I love Mesa gear and am currently on the hunt for a 1516be cab but have seen a R5410 and just wanting to hear an opinion of anyone who has ever owned one.

Just for reference- I would be running a GK 800RB through the cab: Bi-amping the 300w output into the 1x15 and the 100w output into the 4x10.. I was just thinking if all that power handling is wasted with such a low wattage bass head: the sound will be very weak, Right?

The 1516be seems more fulfilling for my needs as I 1. Want to bi-amp. and 2. Want a full range of sounds. ..And at only 450w the 800RB will push it but not too hard.

If you know of any other bi-amping cabs that work well with the 800RB please comment.

Thanks for your time guys!

Marty

Personally I think bi-amping is a waste of time and I stopped doing it in mid-90's. In the olden days it made sense, but the current bass speaker/cabs are so efficient it is simply not needed to get a full-range/ well rounded tone.

If you do want to biamp, the 800RB is perfectly suited to do it. You need a lot less watts for the highs than you need for the lows, 100w is more than plenty. 300 RMS is roughly what most D class heads put out in real terms, I would say enough for most situations.

The "weak" comment is incorrect. I your cab can handle much more power it would not necessarily sound weak if you use less.

Edited by HazBeen

[quote name='RedSlap' timestamp='1429137328' post='2748519']Just for reference- I would be running a GK 800RB through the cab: Bi-amping the 300w output into the 1x15 and the 100w output into the 4x10.. I was just thinking if all that power handling is wasted with such a low wattage bass head: the sound will be very weak, Right?[/quote]

No, wrong. A cab that big will be loud with a low power head. Generally, the bigger the cab, the less power you need to reach the same loudness. Is the cab designed for biamping? I wouldn't expect that 15" to handle more than 100W in the lows before it starts to distort, so you'd be better off sharing the lows between all the drivers.