Why become a member? ×

Festival line ups

The Admiral

This festival is incredibly reasonably priced with a proper line-up including Sugarhill Gang, Wu-Tang Clan, Rolo Tomassi, Dutch Uncles, Basement Jaxx, Buzzcocks, and not confirmed yet but I've been assured it's happening, Dredd and the Badass Weeds (*) in an extremely rare appearance:

http://www.tramlines.org.uk/lineup/

* that's Keith from the Utahs, Andy from the New FADs, 2 Johns from the Snapdragons and Cassandra Crossing, and me. We'll show 'em what a band sounds like who rehearse once a year!

The bottom line, young man, is that I'm too old, hate crowds, hate drunks and druggies, need my own toilet, need my own space and my ears are shot.
That's why I'll only go to small gigs where I can feel and be comfortable.
In the olden days I did every Hyde Park, Isle of Wight, Glastonbury, Windsor and Reading Festivals (and a few others) up until 1972 when I reached the grand age of 23.
Let me know how you feel when you reach your 66th. birthday ;)
BTW, I'm still gigging at least once a month. :D

Edited for spelling, doh!

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1429277721' post='2749969']
Why do you assume I'm a young 'un? Maybe I just don't act like every other old git out there?!
[/quote]
Coz you sound just like I did when I was younger.

" Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Df39PjkwA

If you're in the MK/Bucks/Beds/whatever-Milton-Keynes-technically-comes-under area then I can recommend Togfest at Bradwell Abbey in June. A definite positive bias as my only experience was last summer, when I played there with Cherry White and we seemed to go down astonishingly well. (Unfortunately they appear to have a policy of not booking the same bands in consecutive years (which I can understand), but I'll be putting in an application for 2016 as soon as the tents have been taken down.) It's openly and unashamedly family-friendly, but the bar had some decent ales and ciders on, and the music is well-selected and well-run. By having two stages not far from each other, people can shuffle over to watch the first stage while they set another band up on the second. Unusual, but it keeps the music flowing!

This year, at the possibly-getting-a-bit-old-for-this-sort-of-thing age of 29, I'll be paying my first visit to a festival that involves camping (all the ones I've been to previously have been one-day festivals). Ramblin' Man Fair in Maidstone has got Camel and Joanne Shaw Taylor on consecutive days, not to mention bands like The Scorpions, Blue Oyster Cult, Pendragon and Haken, whose stuff I don't know that well, but who I'd be interested to see live.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1429270925' post='2749868']
As usual, oldies moaning about festival prices and line ups, it was better back in the day, I remember this and that etc. Too commercial etc. Isn't this the usual clap trap you guys come out with? At least get something a bit more original. ;)
[/quote]You sir, are a gentleman's appendage!

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1429275159' post='2749931']
The bottom line, young man, is that I'm too old, hate crowds, hate drunks and druggies, need my own toilet, need my own space and my ears are shot.
That's why I'll only go to small gigs where I can feel and be comfortable.
In the olden days I did every Hyde Park, Isle of Wight, Glastonbury, Windsor and Reading Festivals (and a few others) up until 1972 when I reached the grand age of 23.
Let me know how you feel when you reach you 66th. birthday ;)
BTW, I'm still gigging at least once a month. :D
[/quote]Well said.

I'm getting too old but I still love the crowds, drunks & drinks and the unpredictable stupidity that the bigger festivals supply in spades.

Going to download again this year, Faith No More, Rise Against, Clutch, Slipknot and maybe a bit of Kiss or Motley Crue for good measure.
Can't wait to see Faith No More again and in general last years download was as well run and organised as any festival I've been to.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1429298060' post='2750289']
I'm getting too old but I still love the crowds, drunks & drinks and the unpredictable stupidity that the bigger festivals supply in spades.

Going to download again this year, Faith No More, Rise Against, Clutch, Slipknot and maybe a bit of Kiss or Motley Crue for good measure.
Can't wait to see Faith No More again and in general last years download was as well run and organised as any festival I've been to.
[/quote]

Come see us and have a pint, first on the the 4th stage on Sunday ;)