Why become a member? ×

Do I need a looper? If so, which one?

GreeneKing

I'm not in a band at the moment and I'm looking at other creative avenues for bass playing.

Having watched and listened to Steve Lawson I've developed an interest in loopers.

For me, a looper would be a means of playing a loop and then playing something over the top of it, preferably with a rhythm track added in. Maybe mixing a little fretless in too.

Loopers with rhythm (and effects) are the Boss RC-30/300. Perhaps the 300 is overkill for home use although it's certainly got lots of rhythm tracks. Any other ideas?

I use a TC Ditto x2 and a Ditto together. Probably overkill for your needs, but the creative possibilities are amazing.

The Ditto x2 is a fantastic bit of kit, it does 1/2 playback and reverse, you get 5 minutes of loop, plus the ability to save your loops and reload them.

If by effects you mean chorus etc., the loopers mentioned won't have them. I have tried several dedicated loopers (Boss, EHX) and to be honest unless you want extra memory the Zoom B1on does the layer thing and you can change effects for different layers. Rhythms are also much more varied thansay a Boss RC. Not a lot of memory, and you lose the loop when you turn off though. It all depends on what you need (memory, multiple inputs, multiple loops, mono/stereo etc etc) so I'd suggest the looper's delight website for a complete overview. http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/tools.html

Edited by juliusmonk