Why become a member? ×

Strings that retain brightness

JuliusGroove

Hey guys, so I usually use rotosound solo or swing bass strings. I play a lot for work and general day to day practice and I've noticed that on terms of slapping particularly, that sweet tone dies off quote quickly (couple of weeks) is this just because I play a lot or can you recommend strings with a longer life span?

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1429172877' post='2748681']
D'addarios last longer as well. Elixirs much longer, but they start with a little less zing when fresh
[/quote]

Many people don't like the "zing" of fresh strings. D'Addario and Elixirs both do have some zing when fresh (which I personally love), but they hold they tone very evenly over a longer period of time than some other brands.

Consider yourself lucky. I put on a fresh set of strings...got to the gig, plugged in and tuned up, played a couple of daft little riffs to warm up...picked the bass back up to start the set and the strings were dead. And I don't just mean slightly. TOTALLY dead.

There's something most odd with my body chemistry.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1429296025' post='2750255']
Consider yourself lucky. I put on a fresh set of strings...got to the gig, plugged in and tuned up, played a couple of daft little riffs to warm up...picked the bass back up to start the set and the strings were dead. And I don't just mean slightly. TOTALLY dead.

[/quote]

That is how Rotos come from the packet I believe :happy:

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1429296025' post='2750255']
[/quote]

Exactly this. Thank heavens I mostly use flats!

It's all about sweat too, I knew a guitar tech who had to change his diet because by the time he's put new strings on and done some tweaking the strings weren't looking too good. I eat a really healthy diet, perhaps too much scotch, but I doubt that's what does it. Makes me think it's just my body chemistry and ive met a fair few players with the same issue. One poor guy used to 'slime' all over his basses...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1429350142' post='2750629']
DR stings always kept their tone longest for me, but I wouldn't say they sounded like new for months.

IMO Dunlop Super Bright steel strings would be the ones you want to try.
[/quote]

I'd say Super Brights as well. Good strings, last pretty well and stay zingy and don't cost a lot.

I like the tone of fresh Rotos, but they only really last one or two gigs.
I switched to D'Addarios a couple of years back. Whilst they're a little too zingy to begin with the settle down quickly but hold a nice lively tone for quite a long time.

I use Newtone and they aren't the most zingy from new, but they keep that sound longest, IME.
I can keep them for 6 weeks plus... and I'll play the bass every day. I keep the strings clean,
but not overly zealous about it, but common sense things like clean hands etc.
Also, the string clean up and I may get upto 5 uses out of them so I tend to buy a pack of 3
once a year. I'll change the strings when they feel off before they sound off..
I came over from DR as I don't believe they use the best metal anymore and have had a few too many
duff experiences...which they certainly didn't suffer from a few years ago. IME, of course.

hiho,Big +1 for Dunlop super bright steels,been using a set on my foundation for 5 months now ,although not as twangy as when they went on there still twangy.I gig twice a week and have a practice in between.
I put a set on my rick and hey ho they rock.
They feel great as well,lower tension and for stainless strings are smooth,they smooth out with use or abuse in my case.Although they are big twangy they have a solid beefy bottom end,love em and will put a set on my t-bird and look forward to some big grand piano twangery