Why become a member? ×

Strings that retain brightness

JuliusGroove

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1429295894' post='2750252']
Are we talking rosewood or maple fretboard? :blink:
[/quote]

Maple fretboard, Mexican Jazz.

The thing is I'm not a massive fan of super bright sounding strings for fingerstyle, I like a deeper sound, but I also play a lot of slap. You can't have everything I suppose!

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1429445363' post='2751392']
Maple fretboard, Mexican Jazz.

The thing is I'm not a massive fan of super bright sounding strings for fingerstyle, I like a deeper sound, but I also play a lot of slap. You can't have everything I suppose!
[/quote]

I've found the ProSteels to be quite rounded, in that they slap well, with a nice bright tone, but you can also play finger style on them without the clank. But as Juliusmonk says above, perhaps your best bet is a medium-bright string and something that allows you to switch quickly between your finger style tone and slap tone.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1429464752' post='2751624']
Maybe you should tell Elixir and ask for a lifetime's supply of strings (3 sets) :lol:
[/quote]

Two sets would probably do. :(

The only trouble with having such old strings is that Elixir have probably changed the formulation / manufacturing specs at least twice in those 11 years and they might well now be sh1te, for all I know.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1429464973' post='2751625']

The only trouble with having such old strings is that Elixir have probably changed the formulation / manufacturing specs at least twice in those 11 years and they might well now be sh1te, for all I know.
[/quote]

I think they have. What they use now is "Nanoweb", which is a flexible, thin plastic coating. They used to use something else which wasn't a coating per-se, but more a "filler" that filled in the gaps between the windings.

Old style -

New style -

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1429480058' post='2751870']
I think they have. What they use now is "Nanoweb", which is a flexible, thin plastic coating. They used to use something else which wasn't a coating per-se, but more a "filler" that filled in the gaps between the windings.
[/quote]

Now I never knew that. You learn something new every day. :)

I got a couple of sets of the old formula Elixirs about 15 years ago from a guitar show stand, along with assorted freebies like a plastic mug and t-shirt. I found that the coating on the old style Elixirs used to peel in a most offputting manner after a couple of months, as though my bass had dandruff. I don't know if they did this for everyone or if my playing style or body chemistry at the time did them in.
The mug is still going strong though, I take it camping in the summer!

+1 for Dunlop Super Brights. My main go to string for the roundwound tone nowadays. As their name suggests, they are very bright and cut through the mix superbly with amazing clarity. Had them on since Janauary and still sound as good as the day they were installed. I Also like D'Addario XL's and Fender 7250s

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1429464973' post='2751625']

[/quote]

No coated strings sound good IMO. They all sound sterile/lifeless/muted. Most coated strings also interupt the bridge ground (which is more notable on passive basses) as the coating is non-conductive, increasing or inducing ground hum. The only sets that have a conductive coating are D'Addario EXP and Cleartone. But again, both of these are equally as bad sounding to me.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1429359929' post='2750774'] I use Newtone and they aren't the most zingy from new, but they keep that sound longest, IME. I can keep them for 6 weeks plus...[/quote]

Used them on my old MM Sterling and they were pretty good. Very bright bass so the strings came across lively!

I've got a set of DRs (neon K3 coated) waiting to go on my bass when the current steels die, will be interesting to see how they sound.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1429876492' post='2755850']
I think people are getting confused between being bright and retaining the brightness. Super Brights are bright at first but 2-3 weeks later are dulled down. EXLs are a good shout too, last as long as Elixirs.
[/quote]

Good point! :)

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1429887648' post='2756048']

Used them on my old MM Sterling and they were pretty good. Very bright bass so the strings came across lively!

I've got a set of DRs (neon K3 coated) waiting to go on my bass when the current steels die, will be interesting to see how they sound.
[/quote]
I like DR Black Beauties/Dragon Skins but that coating... finger burn. Makes the string unusable for me. D'Addario EXLs are very similar to Elixirs but the coating is a bit thinner so you can feel more of the string. EMPs and Cleartone strings I would say are even a little thinner for less of that plasticy effect but EXLs IME retain their brightness a bit longer than those two.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1429901091' post='2756245']
I like DR Black Beauties/Dragon Skins but that coating... finger burn. Makes the string unusable for me. D'Addario EXLs are very similar to Elixirs but the coating is a bit thinner so you can feel more of the string. EMPs and Cleartone strings I would say are even a little thinner for less of that plasticy effect but EXLs IME retain their brightness a bit longer than those two.
[/quote]

The D'Addario EXP strings are an Elixir competition product. Being that they're going after Elixir's slice of the market, it's reasonable to expect that they're quite similar, but D'Addario's reputation for innovation and high quality production means that their EXP range often doesn't get the love that it deserves.

They also now use their NYXL core steel to make EXP strings, so they're stronger and less prone to fatigue, making them an even more premium product. Although hardly anybody has caught onto this change yet, as they only started this a couple of months ago.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1429353763' post='2750680']
Exactly this. Thank heavens I mostly use flats!

It's all about sweat too, I knew a guitar tech who had to change his diet because by the time he's put new strings on and done some tweaking the strings weren't looking too good. I eat a really healthy diet, perhaps too much scotch, but I doubt that's what does it. Makes me think it's just my body chemistry and ive met a fair few players with the same issue. One poor guy used to 'slime' all over his basses...
[/quote]

Thats is they most disgusting and unwillingly rock and roll thing I've every had the misfortune of hearing without it coming from an amp or library of drinking/drugs/women anecdotes.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432132372' post='2778453']
Just spotted this vid - not exactly fresh off the press, but interesting: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX6WKIKGSkg[/media]
[/quote]

Interesting video. I think his method is wrong, however it is still interesting to see the effects of a massively accelerated corrosion process.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1432165225' post='2778866']
Interesting video. I think his method is wrong, however it is still interesting to see the effects of a massively accelerated corrosion process.
[/quote]

+1 - it's just a rough comparison, an experiment to test the strings apparent resistance to high salinity at room temperature.
without hearing the strings before & after - or measuring something like their mass when dried - it's hard to say what happened beyond the colour changes.