Why become a member? ×

Strings that retain brightness

JuliusGroove

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432230723' post='2779527']
+1 - it's just a rough comparison, an experiment to test the strings apparent resistance to high salinity at room temperature.
without hearing the strings before & after - or measuring something like their mass when dried - it's hard to say what happened beyond the colour changes.
[/quote]

I think his method was wrong in that the strings were submerged in their entirety, including the uncoated ends, which makes it easy for water to travel up underneath the coating itself, and cause corrosion that we wouldn't see normally.

Also, I think he should have taken 1 string from each set, had them suspended in some kind of rig and partially submerged into a large tank of water, to make sure they're all exposed to exactly the same amount of water and salt.

I think a sound test wouldn't be required, as it's a test to see how well they resist corrosion. Corrosion at any level will negatively affect a string's sound. What we're interested in is how well they resist corrosion :)

Now I'm thinking I should build my own string testing rig :lol:

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1429172877' post='2748681']
D'addarios last longer as well. Elixirs much longer, but they start with a little less zing when fresh
[/quote]

In my experience Elites, whilst sounding great at first, don't last. I use Roto's but they don't last either . I've never found a string that lasts more than 3 gigs before going flat. If I'm being totally honest, I find a difference after one gig. To get round this, I stick them in the dishwasher and get a little longer out of them

Edited by ubit

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1429814251' post='2755303']

No coated strings sound good IMO. They all sound sterile/lifeless/muted. Most coated strings also interupt the bridge ground (which is more notable on passive basses) as the coating is non-conductive, increasing or inducing ground hum. The only sets that have a conductive coating are D'Addario EXP and Cleartone. But again, both of these are equally as bad sounding to me.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more! Coated strings sound poxy. Elixir acoustic guitar strings are amazing, and last for ages but the bass version is rotten!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1432233969' post='2779597']
I think his method was wrong in that the strings were submerged in their entirety, including the uncoated ends, which makes it easy for water to travel up underneath the coating itself, and cause corrosion that we wouldn't see normally.

Also, I think he should have taken 1 string from each set, had them suspended in some kind of rig and partially submerged into a large tank of water, to make sure they're all exposed to exactly the same amount of water and salt.

I think a sound test wouldn't be required, as it's a test to see how well they resist corrosion. Corrosion at any level will negatively affect a string's sound. What we're interested in is how well they resist corrosion :)

Now I'm thinking I should build my own string testing rig :lol:
[/quote]

Interesting - I agree only the treated / coated portions of the strings should have been in contact with the brine. I'd have dipped both ends in wax - that could be an easy way to seal out possible moisture creep (capillary action inside the wraps?).

For a corrosion test I can see possible concerns - while the coatings may interact in the solution (one may soften the other if they're in close contact) - having the exact same solution for each string is probably more important.

I'd also suggest the ideal test would include several samples of each companies production, ideally from different batches.
I'd also look at including a timed test - a 5 minute dip, an hour dip, up to just left to "brew". then follow up after a week to see which of the samples have survived with no apparent damage - could be very telling.

It's a strange problem. I'd want a clear and measurable way to determine the amount of, and severity of, the corrosion on each sample.
Short of constructing a bass playing machine that sweats and wears the strings down in a consistent way - followed by a blind tone test to assess the strings "deadness" - I'm not sure how perfect the test could be!

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432238404' post='2779680']
Interesting - I agree only the treated / coated portions of the strings should have been in contact with the brine. I'd have dipped both ends in wax - that could be an easy way to seal out possible moisture creep (capillary action inside the wraps?).

For a corrosion test I can see possible concerns - while the coatings may interact in the solution (one may soften the other if they're in close contact) - having the exact same solution for each string is probably more important.

I'd also suggest the ideal test would include several samples of each companies production, ideally from different batches.
I'd also look at including a timed test - a 5 minute dip, an hour dip, up to just left to "brew". then follow up after a week to see which of the samples have survived with no apparent damage - could be very telling.

It's a strange problem. I'd want a clear and measurable way to determine the amount of, and severity of, the corrosion on each sample.
Short of constructing a bass playing machine that sweats and wears the strings down in a consistent way - followed by a blind tone test to assess the strings "deadness" - I'm not sure how perfect the test could be!
[/quote]

Getting strings from a variety of batches might be a problem. Other than that, I think you're completely right :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1429359929' post='2750774']
I use Newtone and they aren't the most zingy from new, but they keep that sound longest, IME.
I can keep them for 6 weeks plus... and I'll play the bass every day. I keep the strings clean,
but not overly zealous about it, but common sense things like clean hands etc.
Also, the string clean up and I may get upto 5 uses out of them so I tend to buy a pack of 3
once a year. I'll change the strings when they feel off before they sound off..
I came over from DR as I don't believe they use the best metal anymore and have had a few too many
duff experiences...which they certainly didn't suffer from a few years ago. IME, of course.
[/quote]

Interested!

I feel the same way about ERs, but haven't found a substitute for the feel yet, I'll be trying these!

D'Addario EXLs work fine for me, 45-105 on the Jazz basses and 50-105 on the Precision. I use a reasonable amount of twang, but also need a smooth bass sound, these strings seem to give me both. Change when necessary, usually 2-3 times a year.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1432457202' post='2781545']
D'Addario EXLs work fine for me, 45-105 on the Jazz basses and 50-105 on the Precision. I use a reasonable amount of twang, but also need a smooth bass sound, these strings seem to give me both. Change when necessary, usually 2-3 times a year.
[/quote]

That`s interesting as D`Addario are doing a presentation at the Herts Bass Bash (14 June) and wanting strings that retain twanginess, this may be the opportunity to have a tryout. I love my Roto Steel Rounds but they don`t last long, although I`m not keen on them straight out of the packet. Prefer them once played in a bit, but they have a continuing downhill slope.

Tried to put a set of DR Neons on my Dingwall to find out the B is about 3/4" short - the taper starts short of the nut so the string sits too low. Put the remaining 4 on my old washburn and they're pretty lifeless. No zing. The bass gets very little play so they may be a good fit - when I do pick it up we'll see if they deteriorate over time.

I obviously have sweaty, dirt infested slimy paws plus a desire for a bright, fresh twang on my strings, because I can never understand people who say they change strings every 2 or 3 years or even months, or weeks for that matter. I struggle to get more than 3 gigs out of a set of strings, before the lifeless, distorted boominess becomes more than I can handle and I have to change them!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1432924317' post='2786310']
I obviously have sweaty, dirt infested slimy paws plus a desire for a bright, fresh twang on my strings, because I can never understand people who say they change strings every 2 or 3 years or even months, or weeks for that matter. I struggle to get more than 3 gigs out of a set of strings, before the lifeless, distorted boominess becomes more than I can handle and I have to change them!
[/quote]

Have you tried Elixirs? Or D'Addario EXP.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1432924317' post='2786310']
[/quote]

This is where coated strings come into their own, especially if you look after them and wipe them down after a gig. To make them last even longer I used to have a dedicated gigging bass that I would never user for home practice or even rehearsals.

Yes, I have tried Elixirs. As I said before, the acoustic guitar Elixirs are amazing. Bright and stay bright for ages. The bass strings I find to be dull sounding. Not nearly as bright as stainless!

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1433597958' post='2792421']
I was so unimpressed with their Neons I put them on a bass I never play...
[/quote]

DR have a very retro appeal, but as far as I can work out, that's about it. Their coatings don't measure up against the kind of coatings that others are doing, and unless you want coloured strings (because you for some reason love a gimmick), you probably aren't going to buy DR.

Some people like them. I've used them before on guitar, and they're OK. But their production and branding and everything feels old-fashioned in a market that's moving along fairly quickly.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1433478037' post='2791376']
Yes, I have tried Elixirs. As I said before, the acoustic guitar Elixirs are amazing. Bright and stay bright for ages. The bass strings I find to be dull sounding. Not nearly as bright as stainless!
[/quote]

Interesting. Have you tried their steel bass strings?

The brightest strings on the market are D'Addario FlexSteels. If that's the kind of brightness you like, sorry but you're not going to find it elsewhere.

There's two issues here, what do the strings sound like and how slowly does the sound take to change. I love the sound of two week old Rotosounds. The new sound is just too much like they are trying to climb out of the cab and attack for my taste but there's a golden month when the sound is fab.

I changed to Dean Markley Blue Steels, They don't sound quite as good but last a whole lot longer. I used to change Roto's about every three months and I get a year out of the Blue Steels which sound better a year old than the Roto's at 3 months.

I've a set of the Elixirs as a try out on one of my basses at the moment, fitted at Christmas. The sound was less bright than the Blue Steels I fitted at the same time, warm but not unpleasant, Six months on the difference isn't as great so I'd say the Elixirs are going to outlast the Blue Steels, at a cost however. One set is on a P bass and the other on my J, so the sound is different anyway and you can't take this as a detailed and objective test, but this is my experience of their longevity.

IMO it is worth paying twice as much for strings if they last four times as long and sound better for most of that time. If I was Graham Maby or Mark King I'd have Rotosounds on my practice bass for a fortnight then I'd gig them for a month and replace them. There are other reasons however why they sound much better than me :)

Edited by Phil Starr

That`s interesting Phil, I`m pretty much the same - Rotos fresh from the packet are too much for me but after a couple of weeks they sound exactly as I want them (for my current band, previously preferred them about 6 months old) but they do continue to deaden.

Hiho,I,ve been using Dunlop super bright steels for 6 months now and they still sound great
Highly recommended if you like bright strings with good bottom end,lower tension and not as rough as normal stainless strings,feel almost like nickel rounds in fact I,ve had rougher,cheese grater nickles before.
They suit me down to the ground.

I had newtones on one bass for well over a year. I play with a very bright distorted tone and want plenty of clank. Yes they were slightly duller after the first couple of rehearsals, but then nothing seemed to change after that. I've never known anything like it, they just didn't get duller! I only swapped them when I snapped one

It's obviously down to taste in your sound, because I have tried lots of different strings, and find none will last more than two or three gigs before losing brightness. I just love the new string ring. I remember reading about the bass player off of Wet Wet Wet, and he said his strings lasted him 3 hours! I suppose he had the luxury of not having to pay for his own, but unfortunately, I am struck with the same malady!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1433670602' post='2792885']
That`s interesting Phil, I`m pretty much the same - Rotos fresh from the packet are too much for me but after a couple of weeks they sound exactly as I want them (for my current band, previously preferred them about 6 months old) but they do continue to deaden.
[/quote]

Elixirs sound like 2-3 week old strings out of the packet and stay that way for a very long time, if the OP wants that just-out-of-the-packet brightness which lasts any length of time then I've not yet come across strings that will do that.