Why become a member? ×

Mark bass Big Bang

spectoremg

Not owner feedback sorry - What's the difference between the big bang and a LMIII?

All I can see is an Aux in and a headphone out with a level control, and a red paint job.

Doesn't seem much extra when you can get the LMIII for around £400 mark now..

The other difference to the LM is that the Big Bang has an analogue pre amp but a digital power amp.
I think it has the same digital power amp as the F1 / F500 range but they added an analogue pre to warm it up a little.
The LM 500 watt versions are all analogue & do sound a bit ' softer ' than the tightness of the F1 / F500.

Some people prefer one or the other. I really like the F1 over the LM but like the sound of my LM800, which also has a digital power amp section unlike the LM500 series.

Think I got this info the right way round ?

Hope this helps.

I found the Big Bang a little deeper on the lows, maybe due to the analogue pre. The aux input on my unit was of lesser quality than the rest of the amp, and it would cut out when the lead moved. Other than that a really nice full sounding powerful lightweight amp. Aux in and headphone out is useful. (I do prefer the GK mb range though)

I've been using a BB for 18 months now.

Into a Traveller 121H and 151P and more recently in to a Barefaced Super Twin.

On its own with no FX it's versatile - no drive but lots of tone option and the VPF and VLE make for very useful quick adjustments on top of the 4 tone controls.

Power level is great - particularly with the BF cab. Running it ~30% gain and master never gets above 40%. Turned the gain and master up to 50% the other day in practice and hit the low-B - just to see how loud it was and it was fkarking loud.

Not sure how much under £500 you'll get one for but I suspect the exchange rate at the moment might be helpful, Drew @ Great British Bass Lounge (where I got mine) is doing them for under £500. Thomann.de similarly priced.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1429735542' post='2754509']
I've been using a BB for 18 months now.

Into a Traveller 121H and 151P and more recently in to a Barefaced Super Twin.

On its own with no FX it's versatile - no drive but lots of tone option and the VPF and VLE make for very useful quick adjustments on top of the 4 tone controls.

Power level is great - particularly with the BF cab. Running it ~30% gain and master never gets above 40%. Turned the gain and master up to 50% the other day in practice and hit the low-B - just to see how loud it was and it was fkarking loud.

Not sure how much under £500 you'll get one for but I suspect the exchange rate at the moment might be helpful, Drew @ Great British Bass Lounge (where I got mine) is doing them for under £500. Thomann.de similarly priced.
[/quote]

I'm looking at either the lm tube or the big bang, and I'm seriously considering the super twin. How do you like it, what's it like with the markbass head?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1429777192' post='2754731']
I'm looking at either the lm tube or the big bang, and I'm seriously considering the super twin. How do you like it, what's it like with the markbass head?
[/quote]

Sounds great to me - enough top end for the rock we play and the rest of the sound from the cab is epic. I tend to run the high and high-mid boosted on the BB slightly. I'd have gone for a Big Twin if it'd have fitted in the car. Gig last night and I ran the gain on ~3 (starts to clip if the gain is up around 7) and master on ~4 and it was powerfully loud on stage. Used the DI on the amp last night for the first time - the sound guy found the balanced out from my rack too hot but the amp DI was perfect.

I think I'm close to my perfect rig now.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1429869767' post='2755717']
Sounds great to me - enough top end for the rock we play and the rest of the sound from the cab is epic. I tend to run the high and high-mid boosted on the BB slightly. I'd have gone for a Big Twin if it'd have fitted in the car. Gig last night and I ran the gain on ~3 (starts to clip if the gain is up around 7) and master on ~4 and it was powerfully loud on stage. Used the DI on the amp last night for the first time - the sound guy found the balanced out from my rack too hot but the amp DI was perfect.

I think I'm close to my perfect rig now.
[/quote]

Brill, great ad for barefaced lol. Think the super twin might be for me, the big twin would be nice to but that's more than I need.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1429997340' post='2757108']
Brill, great ad for barefaced lol. Think the super twin might be for me, the big twin would be nice to but that's more than I need.
[/quote]

It's kinda hard not to enthuse about the cab to be honest. I've got a 1x15 and 1x12 markbass cabs that live at our practise place and they're great but not a patch on the BF cab. @ 18kg the Barefaced sits between the pair in weight (they're 16kg & 20kg) and a total of 900W vs the BF's 1200W. Saying that the pair cost the same as the BF so it's not a cheap option.