Why become a member? ×

Good Opportunity?

Hector

A group I've worked with in the past have the opportunity to perform prime time on the BBC.

I'm based in Oxford, so would involve travelling back and forth a few times for rehearsal (train, I'm car-less), and for the performance itself. No pay except for travel expenses.

I'm thinking it could be a good opportunity for some exposure as a session guy. It's not a group I play with regularly, although I have done some work with them in the past and that might change when I move down to that London. I'll be moving down at the end of the summer, and looking to start digging into the music scene a bit.

Do it? Don't do it? Answers on a postcard please.

In my jaded view, you either get paid or you dont get paid.
same arguments get touted to photographers for free work, exposure, get your name know, never works, if your good enough to play on TV, you are good enough to be paid the standard musicians union rate the BBC pay everyone else.
Or perhaps they don't think you are good enough to be paid the same.

Think its £220 per 3 hours studio time.

Edited by spacey

If you want to be a sessiom player then I'd say you need to do it.

The session world has its own rules, you need to put yourself in the mix and get to know people and have them know you. This is an opportunity that could go nowhere or result in exposure of some form that may help you now or in the future.

Cliche but...it ain't always what you know but who you know, and how your personality and vibe fits.

Good luck

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1429185777' post='2748875']
Totally jaded !
I agree, but then I like to think I am worth the same as what other performers get paid, they also book the return train tickets to be collected with a pin number and send a pick up to the station for everyone else as well.
[/quote]

For a bit of context folks, I'd replied that spacey's comment was 'totally jaded', then removed it as I didn't really think it was a contructive thing to say

Just so you don't think he's talking to himself any more than usual :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429186657' post='2748899']
If you're getting expenses and you're not actually going to be out of pocket AND you're moving here anyway, I'd say GO FOR IT.
[/quote]

I hear you brother about not being out of pocket...but....

If you're serious about being a session player then often dues have to be paid. I spent a year doing sessions, after doing varied work I quickly realised I didn't enjoy it, at all. But my journey there was fun and i was proper dedicated. I did some sessions for free and without expenses to 'get out there'. It ended in paid work, one act I did freebies for took me on the road and the next thing I know I'm sitting in a room hanging out with 2 Spice Girls, 2 All Saints, Bryan Adams and Liam from Prodigy. That could have been the experience to keep me buzzed and enthused but I could see in Liam's face how much he wasn't enjoying being there (his Mrs was an All Saint) and I knew I wasn't enjoying the whole experience too. That's when I knew the end was nigh. After a months recording session in Spain with some tossers who went on to have a number one album I realised I was better suited to bands and chemistry playing so I have no regrets whatsoever about dropping out from threat gig (in true tosser style they screwed up the 2nd and 3rd album anyway!).

To conclude... If I hadn't done free or non expenses sessions, I'd never have known or got myself out there.

Guest Jecklin

Which channel and program, radio or TV?

Not all BBC are created equal.

As others have said it's potentially good for ones CV and contacts etc, but a friend of mine did a session on prime time bbc radio show and got to meet one engineer, 2 runners, the producer and the presenter and that was it. Arrive, sound check. sit quietly for half an hour, into the studio and play and then a runner helped them with their stuff to their cabs.

Only posting that as an example, but yes I echo the sentiments of just do it.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1429188043' post='2748939']
I hear you brother about not being out of pocket...but....
... If I hadn't done free or non expenses sessions, I'd never have known or got myself out there.
[/quote]

I think then you've probably answered your own question. :)
I'd probably do it, even if it cost me... but not if it cost me [i]too much[/i]... only you can decide what [i]too much[/i] is...

I'd say do it. The sound guys at the Beeb are full time professionals used to making stuff happen in the most un-forgiving of circumstances and with the benefit of top notch gear. Go along and watch and learn.

Oh (and from personal experience) don't let your guitarist knock the 'ear' off the dalek!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1429189916' post='2748995']
I'd say do it. The sound guys at the Beeb are full time professionals used to making stuff happen in the most un-forgiving of circumstances and with the benefit of top notch gear.
[/quote]

I was just wondering whether they will have updated the gear in the sound studio at Broadcasting House I once recorded in back in 1983 (or possibly 4).

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1429191872' post='2749026']
I was just wondering whether they will have updated the gear in the sound studio at Broadcasting House I once recorded in back in 1983 (or possibly 4).
[/quote]

One would hope not; that was the 'top-notch gear' years. :D