Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this situation:

Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429189739' post='2748991']
We're playing the Telegraph, heart rock is the promoter.

I'm used to loaning out gear as I do it for my youth gigs that I run with City Youth Music up in Jesmond, but not gear that I'm gigging with.

I know that feeling all too well. It's not great.
[/quote]

Did gigs for them twice and both times the promoter turned up and set the gig up but then left soon after and saw no sight of him the rest of the night, until he came to collect the money for the tickets we sold of course. There was also no "promoting" as such, didnt see any flyers or anything just a facebook page.

Not having a go at the promoter and it has been almost 2 years since I last played a gig with them so they may have changed, but it wasn't the best.

I never lend gear out now and luckily my current band understand and respect my decision.

[quote name='shaundixon666' timestamp='1429190425' post='2749005']
Did gigs for them twice and both times the promoter turned up and set the gig up but then left soon after and saw no sight of him the rest of the night, until he came to collect the money for the tickets we sold of course. There was also no "promoting" as such, didnt see any flyers or anything just a facebook page.

Not having a go at the promoter and it has been almost 2 years since I last played a gig with them so they may have changed, but it wasn't the best.

I never lend gear out now and luckily my current band understand and respect my decision.
[/quote]

Was that "Heartrock" by any chance?

Fair enough. Will report back after I come back from the gig. Not exactly overwhelmed with it to be honest.

Edit: Also forgot to mention it, I'd taken along my JCM 800 to use instead but was told not to use it because I was going to use the OBT.

Not sure what to make of this, thoughts?

Edited by Fisheth

On the bright side, if you're going along thinking it's going to be a crappy night, you could come away more pleased with the outcome..
Personally I don't like those kinda gigs any more, and there has to be a verry convincing reason for doing such a one, even if it's just 'first gig, so we'll record it and analyse for tightening up purposes'.

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429191641' post='2749024']
Fair enough. Will report back after I come back from the gig. Not exactly overwhelmed with it to be honest.

Edit: Also forgot to mention it, I'd taken along my JCM 800 to use instead but was told not to use it because I was going to use the OBT.

Not sure what to make of this, thoughts?
[/quote]

Yeah fingers crossed you have a better experience mate. Show the rest of the bands what metal is! :P

[quote name='shaundixon666' timestamp='1429192388' post='2749040']
Yeah fingers crossed you have a better experience mate. Show the rest of the bands what metal is! :P
[/quote]

Just a shame we're not playing post avantgarde Swedish Vegetarian grindcore metal. :lol:

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429193101' post='2749053']
Just a shame we're not playing post avantgarde Swedish Vegetarian grindcore metal. :lol:
[/quote]

If you've not already seen it, here's another way of dealing with a 'first gig'...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259392-first-gig"]First gig, fromTuco ...[/url]

<_<

[u]The gig:[/u]
I reckon the number of gigs I've done with this mixed genre set up is well into the three figures. Everyone single one a unique shambles. Just seems how a lot of gigs work for a grass roots band (i.e. your first gig together). It's the nature of the beast. I know a lot of people here are paid musicians, and expect a level of professionalism beyond what is being offered to you. But as a first gig - do it. It's a free rehearsal.

One badly put together night will teach you more about gigging than 1,000 professional shows. even down to things like which order you load in, do you all perform better if you all eat together as a band after soundcheck? Never eat in the same venue that you're playing.

[u]Gear Sharing:[/u]
No.
There is an etiquette that the headlining band supplies Cabs / kit etc. but this is asked for, not an assumption. Totally up to you. I've done it once. Had my gear totally blown once. So 100% bad experience ratio. The other bands will all have small combos anyway, so will be excited to use your whole rig anyway.

I say do it, but no gear sharing.

Edited by urbanx

Personally I wont lend out my gear.

If its to a bass player I know and have gigged with them before and we have a bit of a relationship then sure, but theres no way some random is playing through thousands of pounds worth of my kit.

Unfortunately people sometimes get unhappy with this approach, but they should bring their own gear.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1429193850' post='2749068']

If you've not already seen it, here's another way of dealing with a 'first gig'...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259392-first-gig"]First gig, fromTuco ...[/url]

<_<
[/quote]

Tuco's band know how to deal with this kind of situation.....

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1429195412' post='2749094']
Tuco's band know how to deal with this kind of situation...
[/quote]

They sure do! :) But a first gig, whether the first ever or first with a specific band, is generally chaotic, so perhaps it's an idea to just get it done, take what you can from it and move on?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429195800' post='2749099']
Headlining is overrated anyway... everyone has usualy gone home by then.
[/quote]

Truth.

Isn't it gig curtosy to provide a drumkit however? There's no reason for me to loan out anything but arrangements are made and I can't do anything about it now

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429195922' post='2749104']
Truth.
Isn't it gig curtosy to provide a drumkit however? There's no reason for me to loan out anything but arrangements are made and I can't do anything about it now
[/quote]

Usually, as it a bit of a donwer on the night if the 1st band takes their drum kit home with them !

I've spent almost all my musical life playing small venues with some degree of cooperation between the bands in terms of set-up (15 years of that in Newcastle) and you just have to roll with the punches. I'd say in a venue the size of the Telegraph it's simply impractical for every band to bring their own kit - the punters will get bored watching the setting up, sod off downstairs and youll never see them again.

It's rotten that you seem to be left holding the baby, amp-wise but that's the situation...IME if you're bringing the bass amp then the other bassist will be very appreciative...I'd suggest having a chat with them before the gig, tell them what they're not to do with your kit and simply tell them that if they DO start messing around with your amp then you'll be on stage in a flash to 'ave a word.

You can make this work and leave with some good karma for the next gig - where you can turn up with just your bass if you want to !

Edited by ahpook

These multi-genre gigs are always a nightmare in my experience, but for a first gig they're fairly standard. I try to avoid them now, unless the bands are utterly fantastic everyone tends to go home a bit disappointed!

With regards gear sharing, there is no "right" answer. What is expected varies from bass player to bass player, band to band, venue to venue, promoter to promoter and gig to gig. The only golden rule is "sort it out in advance". Contact the other bands, contact the promoter. Arrange in advance exactly who is providing what. So long as all the planning is sorted before the night and everyone knows the score then thats the important thing. If you don't want to share your gear, thats fine---but make sure you state that in advance, because the other bands may have been given a different impression by the promoter or even by whoever it is in your band that does the bookings. If you are going to share gear, brilliant, but arrange it in advance so that there aren't three drumkits and four bassamps sitting at the side of the stage taking up precious space.

My own experience of gigging the originals circuit is that if you are completely unwilling to compromise on gear sharing then there's going to be problems. Its just not realistic to completely tear down between every single band at multi-band gigs. You just have to make sure that the compromise is acceptable to everyone.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1429198687' post='2749131']
These multi-genre gigs are always a nightmare in my experience, but for a first gig they're fairly standard. I try to avoid them now, unless the bands are utterly fantastic everyone tends to go home a bit disappointed!

With regards gear sharing, there is no "right" answer. What is expected varies from bass player to bass player, band to band, venue to venue, promoter to promoter and gig to gig. The only golden rule is "sort it out in advance". Contact the other bands, contact the promoter. Arrange in advance exactly who is providing what. So long as all the planning is sorted before the night and everyone knows the score then thats the important thing. If you don't want to share your gear, thats fine---but make sure you state that in advance, because the other bands may have been given a different impression by the promoter or even by whoever it is in your band that does the bookings. If you are going to share gear, brilliant, but arrange it in advance so that there aren't three drumkits and four bassamps sitting at the side of the stage taking up precious space.

My own experience of gigging the originals circuit is that if you are completely unwilling to compromise on gear sharing then there's going to be problems. Its just not realistic to completely tear down between every single band at multi-band gigs. You just have to make sure that the compromise is acceptable to everyone.
[/quote]

plus the one

I'll be gear sharing on Saturday night. However, it's with the same band we always share with and it works both ways whenever we're on the same bill. They're probably the only ones we would share with though as they are all friends.

Re the gig. Nightmare scenario as mentioned, everyone sods off after their mates' band / daughter's dance troupe / or in our case last time "La science d'accordéons" :unsure: has been on.

Despite all these negative points though, I would be uncontrollably drawn towards wanting to see the singer song writer who's intending to hold people's interest with his "journey of depression over the years" just so I can wait for a dramatic lull in his repetoire, look around and shout out "Anyone fancy a pint?"