Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this situation:

Fisheth

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1429201096' post='2749180']
...I would be uncontrollably drawn towards wanting to see the singer song writer who's intending to hold people's interest with his "journey of depression over the years" just so I can wait for a dramatic lull in his repertoire, look around and shout out "Anyone fancy a pint?"
[/quote]

:lol: That's just the sort of thing I would do.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429193101' post='2749053']
Just a shame we're not playing post avantgarde Swedish Vegetarian grindcore metal.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429193918' post='2749073']
Aw, that's my second-favourite metal!
[/quote]
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429195676' post='2749098']
...after post pre modern gothic christian hardcore jazz metal?
[/quote]

No - zinc.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429193101' post='2749053']
Just a shame we're not playing post avantgarde Swedish Vegetarian grindcore metal. :lol:
[/quote]

Bahahaha, +1 for the FurTV reference.

I've played multi-genre shows before. They can either be a disaster or a lot of fun, no telling until you get there. Even disasters are funny. An old band I was in was, um, pretty extreme, to the point when the other acts quit the gig while we were sound-checking. That was interesting.

Lending gear... I'm fine with lending cabs, OK-ish with my not-too expensive bass head (as long as EQ not touched), but high-value kit is a no-no unless I know you very well. FWIW I'll rather bring a cab that I know sounds good and lend it than borrow something crappy.

Edited by hairychris

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429201807' post='2749198']
I might do that actually...

He just sounds so pretentious
[/quote]

OR you could just say to yourself 'Not my cup of tea' and slip out and get a bag of chips. You might be up for a gig with the other bands in the future and it might not be best to be in 'that band with the mouthy bassist'

Just a thought.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429203850' post='2749239']
OR you could just say to yourself 'Not my cup of tea' and slip out and get a bag of chips. You might be up for a gig with the other bands in the future and it might not be best to be in 'that band with the mouthy bassist'

Just a thought.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's true. To be fair I've been in worse positions, but I won't go there for reasons (In case my old bandmates are reading this :D)

E: That might be all of us then, we have a habit of saying what we really think!

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429204604' post='2749250']
Yeah, that's true. To be fair I've been in worse positions, but I won't go there for reasons (In case my old bandmates are reading this :D)

E: That might be all of us then, we have a habit of saying what we really think!
[/quote]

Well I'd suggest you [i]all[/i] go for a bag of chips when he's on then !

:)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1429210490' post='2749345']
I thought east endears was depressing. This doesn't bode well for a first gig . Tell them you're washing the cat that night
[/quote]

My dads coming out with you're being negative it'll be great.

A multigenred night does not go well and especially how we're a metal band.

It's going to be a night filled with nonsense. Usually I'm all for that, but I'm being serious tomorrow.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429186873' post='2748905']
So guys, my band is playing our first gig tomorrow and there's been a couple of issues. One of which is it's a multi-genred night. With a so called accoustic act that dubs his work as a "Journey chronicling his depression over the last few years" an Indie band and somebody else. Now we're a Metal band first and foremost with older influences (So no chug, chug breakdowns) I've never really been a fan of multi-genred nights mainly because people tend to leave after their mates band has finished and doesn't support everyone (Which they should, but it's not an issue for us)

Another thing is lack of space and gear. We're playing somewhere which isn't a venue. It's a pub that puts on gigs because the promoter can get the function room above there. Apparently it is the size of a shoe box and the organization hasn't been great. Thus far, we have been told that there's a drumkit (but bring your own pedals and breakables) and I was originally told that a band would be providing two Marshall Bass cabs for me to use, then I turn up at rehersal last night and the guitarist of my band is convinced he told me that I was going to use my own set up and band share it for the last two bands. I'm not exactly keen on loaning gear out, due to the story in a Glenn Fricker video about the Day Glo Abortions who blew up a kids JCM 800 in the eighties, just left and didn't pay the guy compensation for it. Twenty five years later.

And another thing is, we've got good gear if we are going to loan it out and a guitarist in another band is adamant on using his Marshall MG and cab (ew) so we may need to loan his God awful cab. He's on the verge of getting sacked from his band though. But I'm guessing leave that to the guitarists to sort out.

What's your thoughts on multi genred nights and loaning out gear?
[/quote]

Pass.

Multi-genre events are rarely a hit. Like you say, people go to one band and move on (I disagree with what you said that they should support the other bands too: when I'm the audience, I go to watch whatever damn band I please and I am there for entertainment and enjoyment of the live music, not to make a statement for live music ;)).
These multi-band events with sharing of gear... shudder. I do let others use my amp, but only in situations I have certain control of: I know the bands, etc. One reason I bought my little MarkBass combo is that I can walk in with it pretty much anywhere, and have a decent sounding amp + stage monitor (it'll always be DI'd to PA, unless it's a tiny venue), and when I'm done I walk out with it. If we play a festival or some event where gear is provided, I still bring my little amp because then I know I'll be happy with the sound.
It's worth considering having a portable solution, it saves a lot of hassle. I prefer playing through my bigger rig, but sometimes you need to compromise.

I say "pass", but then you say it's the first gig for your band... so I might just go along with it, to test the water, so to speak... Nobody is going to know you if you don't play out. Play, and hopefully you'll be able to play better gigs soon. Whatever the situation, don't let technical issues spoil your gig. Know your songs well so that you can play them even when you cannot hear yourself and barely make out what the guitar is playing, and have a good time :)

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429213605' post='2749396']
My dads coming out with you're being negative it'll be great.
[/quote]

Presumably he's not going?
Maybe he just wants the place to himself that night... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1429198687' post='2749131']
These multi-genre gigs are always a nightmare in my experience, but for a first gig they're fairly standard. I try to avoid them now, unless the bands are utterly fantastic everyone tends to go home a bit disappointed!

With regards gear sharing, there is no "right" answer. What is expected varies from bass player to bass player, band to band, venue to venue, promoter to promoter and gig to gig. The only golden rule is "sort it out in advance". Contact the other bands, contact the promoter. Arrange in advance exactly who is providing what. So long as all the planning is sorted before the night and everyone knows the score then thats the important thing. If you don't want to share your gear, thats fine---but make sure you state that in advance, because the other bands may have been given a different impression by the promoter or even by whoever it is in your band that does the bookings. If you are going to share gear, brilliant, but arrange it in advance so that there aren't three drumkits and four bassamps sitting at the side of the stage taking up precious space.

My own experience of gigging the originals circuit is that if you are completely unwilling to compromise on gear sharing then there's going to be problems. Its just not realistic to completely tear down between every single band at multi-band gigs. You just have to make sure that the compromise is acceptable to everyone.
[/quote]

what pisses me off is that it's often the "promoter" (spit) just leaving the bands to sort it out.

No. It's your event. You're organising it. You mediate then! You *organise* it and make sure there will be the required equipment on the night!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1429307375' post='2750404']
what pisses me off is that it's often the "promoter" (spit) just leaving the bands to sort it out.
No. It's your event. You're organising it. You mediate then! You *organise* it and make sure there will be the required equipment on the night!
[/quote]

That's usual. The promoter sends an open email to all concerned with an invitation to 'reply to all' regarding equipment share and so on. Then (as you say) the bands organise everything themselves and get as many people as possible along to the event. Or not, more often. 'Promoter' is just a nominal title, it doesn't imply any actual promotion of the bands or organisation of the event. Just as long as you know this an accept it, you are likely to have a better time of it than if you don't.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429307779' post='2750408']
That's usual. The promoter sends an open email to all concerned with an invitation to 'reply to all' regarding equipment share and so on. Then (as you say) the bands organise everything themselves and get as many people as possible along to the event. Or not, more often. 'Promoter' is just a nominal title, it doesn't imply any actual promotion of the bands or organisation of the event. Just as long as you know this an accept it, you are likely to have a better time of it than if you don't.
[/quote]

The thing is that I can walk. But someone else invariably will take my place, so the "promoters" continue and survive.

When I joined my current band we did a few of those multiband crappy gigs, playing slots of 30min, bringing equipment, often becoming hostages waiting till the end... I was a little older than the rest and I said "look, I don't really want to be playing these gigs". So we stopped saying yes to every offer. Guess what? We didn't stop playing. The opportunities are there, but if you're not a little picky you get stuck in the worst kind of gigs. Sure, we still play some less than ideal gigs, but they are the exception now.
One interesting thing we noticed was that, as you say, the promoter did little else beyond booking a venue and send a few emails around. So we started doing that ourselves. It works remarkably well. Well, better than when someone else who doesn't give a sh*t "organises" it ;) We even made money some times :lol:
We book a decent size venue a few times a year to make a big party, invite a couple of other localish bands we like/are friendly with... and it's always worked really well. More bands should do that, and that way get rid of the false promoter (there are good ones too!).

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429311248' post='2750446']
Guess what...

The gig was one of the best of my life. Ever.

More to come tomorrow.

Also supporting Risen Prophecy on their EU tour. It's official!
[/quote]

Ha ha! great! :)

sometimes the most fun gigs are the ones you least expect to be!

Glad it went well. Usually, saying please leave the volumes and tones as they are set will be enough.

I absolutely hate other bands using my gear at shared gigs though and will do just about anything to avoid that. Once played supporting a random version of The Searchers and an apparently ex Eurythmics bass player decided to wind up my mic'd up pair of Trace Elliot's that were set nicely in the mix to Hendrix style distortion, so I had to walk on and switch them back down while he was playing, with the muttered 'you can stop playing and get your own gear out of the van if you do that again'. People were actually running away from the stage. He cleared his side of the dance floor.

I do a jam night and the bassists at that know the gear is set up for them and that is how it will stay unless I need to pop on and get them up in the mix. They all behave.

We played one in Leicester recently - just the other bands as audience, terrible mis-match of genres. On the bright side though, the owner was very complimentary and has now asked us to play support at a (hopefully/supposedly) busy ska night - exactly the sort of thing we're after.

So the moral? You need to get out there to get known, but dont get stuck in a rut.