Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this situation:

Fisheth

So guys, my band is playing our first gig tomorrow and there's been a couple of issues. One of which is it's a multi-genred night. With a so called accoustic act that dubs his work as a "Journey chronicling his depression over the last few years" an Indie band and somebody else. Now we're a Metal band first and foremost with older influences (So no chug, chug breakdowns) I've never really been a fan of multi-genred nights mainly because people tend to leave after their mates band has finished and doesn't support everyone (Which they should, but it's not an issue for us)

Another thing is lack of space and gear. We're playing somewhere which isn't a venue. It's a pub that puts on gigs because the promoter can get the function room above there. Apparently it is the size of a shoe box and the organization hasn't been great. Thus far, we have been told that there's a drumkit (but bring your own pedals and breakables) and I was originally told that a band would be providing two Marshall Bass cabs for me to use, then I turn up at rehersal last night and the guitarist of my band is convinced he told me that I was going to use my own set up and band share it for the last two bands. I'm not exactly keen on loaning gear out, due to the story in a Glenn Fricker video about the Day Glo Abortions who blew up a kids JCM 800 in the eighties, just left and didn't pay the guy compensation for it. Twenty five years later.

And another thing is, we've got good gear if we are going to loan it out and a guitarist in another band is adamant on using his Marshall MG and cab (ew) so we may need to loan his God awful cab.

What's your thoughts on multi genred nights and loaning out gear?

Edited by Fisheth

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to be honest... but as it's your first gig I'd give it a go anyway just for the learning curve :) lending gear out is a pet hate of mine... keep an eye on whoever is using it. People are clueless and just put bass on ten, volume on ten then off they go hammering the crap out of your gear.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429186873' post='2748905']
...With a so called accoustic act that dubs his work as a "Journey chronicling his depression over the last few years"
[/quote]

If you come back on here the morning after the gig and say this wasn't sh*t I'll be amazed...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1429187156' post='2748915']
What do you possibly have to gain for all this bother?
[/quote]

Truthfully not much, apparently a promoter is coming down to possibly give us a support slot with someone.

(Promoter can be trusted, I know the guy. He's honest)

Would like to point out my guitarist is pushing me to loan gear out. I'm fine with loaning cabs out, if I'm using them as I'm pretty responsible with gear, but this has fail written all over it.

Edited by Fisheth

...a so-called acoustic act that dubs his work as "a journey chronicling his depression over the last few years"...
[/quote]

Sorry, but this made me laugh like a drain for some reason. :D It's really not going to make for an uplifting night is it? Unless [i]your [/i]songs are about unrequited love, loss, and death at sea, in which case you're golden...

Edited by discreet

From the glowing description you've given, I doubt that the other acts will be punishing your band's gear, certainly not the acoustic fellow. Keep an eye (and ear...) on the settings and enjoy the evening as best as you can; give of your best and learn from all the bad, but also all the good bits. I hope it turns out better than you fear. Be aware, of course, that, if this is a first gig, there are far worse one's further down the line; we've all had 'em. It goes with the territory.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1429188786' post='2748958']
From the glowing description you've given, I doubt that the other acts will be punishing your band's gear, certainly not the acoustic fellow. Keep an eye (and ear...) on the settings and enjoy the evening as best as you can; give of your best and learn from all the bad, but also all the good bits. I hope it turns out better than you fear. Be aware, of course, that, if this is a first gig, there are far worse one's further down the line; we've all had 'em. It goes with the territory.
[/quote]

Apparently the other guy who's going to use it knows our guitarist.

But the thing is, he's two mins away. I'm not, just because of timing I'd need to leave early which may put a downer on someones set.

So guys, my band is playing our first gig tomorrow and there's been a couple of issues. One of which is it's a multi-genred night. With a so called accoustic act that dubs his work as a "Journey chronicling his depression over the last few years" an Indie band and somebody else. Now we're a Metal band first and foremost with older influences (So no chug, chug breakdowns) I've never really been a fan of multi-genred nights mainly because people tend to leave after their mates band has finished and doesn't support everyone (Which they should, but it's not an issue for us)

Another thing is lack of space and gear. We're playing somewhere which isn't a venue. It's a pub that puts on gigs because the promoter can get the function room above there. Apparently it is the size of a shoe box and the organization hasn't been great. Thus far, we have been told that there's a drumkit (but bring your own pedals and breakables) and I was originally told that a band would be providing two Marshall Bass cabs for me to use, then I turn up at rehersal last night and the guitarist of my band is convinced he told me that I was going to use my own set up and band share it for the last two bands. I'm not exactly keen on loaning gear out, due to the story in a Glenn Fricker video about the Day Glo Abortions who blew up a kids JCM 800 in the eighties, just left and didn't pay the guy compensation for it. Twenty five years later.

And another thing is, we've got good gear if we are going to loan it out and a guitarist in another band is adamant on using his Marshall MG and cab (ew) so we may need to loan his God awful cab. He's on the verge of getting sacked from his band though. But I'm guessing leave that to the guitarists to sort out.

[/quote]

Reading your post I wonder why you're even bothering - you've decided it's going to be a disatser already, so why are you playing ?

Edited by ahpook

Went to see a gig last night and one of the bands was guitar and drums only.....the guitard played through the house bass amp which was cranked up load and kept asking the soundman why it was feeding back.....

Just saying ;)

Btw i didn't tell the BC'er i was there to see.....didn't want to worry him :)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1429189017' post='2748966']
Went to see a gig last night and one of the bands was guitar and drums only... the guitard played through the house bass amp which was cranked up load and kept asking the soundman why it was feeding back... btw i didn't tell the BC'er i was there to see... didn't want to worry him :)
[/quote]

Ha! :blink: That Hiwatt combo gets a real beating, it's a credit to the brand really. It's also a bit pointless, as you can't hear it on stage if you have anything like a proper level from the monitors. I just had it turned down. It's a useful table for your bottle of water and set-list. ;)

And now, back on topic...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429188893' post='2748960']
Apparently the other guy who's going to use it knows our guitarist.

But the thing is, he's two mins away. I'm not, just because of timing I'd need to leave early which may put a downer on someones set.
[/quote]

Ah, that could change things. It then comes down to trust; are your fellow band mates capable and willing to look after your interests after you leave (make sure your gear isn't abused, load it out with theirs etc...), or will they get 'loaded' and end up rolling on the floor with some of the 'fans'..? In various bands I've played in, both scenario have been true, so it's a judgement call, really, down to you. Prudence dictates self-preservation, maybe..?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429188980' post='2748964']
Reading your post I wonder why you're even bothering - you've decided it's going to be a disatser already, so why are you playing ?
[/quote]

Unfortunately I only found all this infomation out last night. The only other things I knew was turn up at five and I'd agreed to loan someone my head because they'd agreed if there was any damages they'd pay for the repair. I wasn't expecting to have to take my own cab to a gig as-well and the info about the other bands wasn't given to me.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1429189300' post='2748977']
Ah, that could change things. It then comes down to trust; are your fellow band mates capable and willing to look after your interests after you leave (make sure your gear isn't abused, load it out with theirs etc...), or will they get 'loaded' and end up rolling on the floor with some of the 'fans'..? In various bands I've played in, both scenario have been true, so it's a judgement call, really, down to you. Prudence dictates self-preservation, maybe..?
[/quote]

Our other guitarist is very protective of his gear and everything so assuming it would be the same for mine.

I'd play it just for practice - playing live definitely shakes loose issues that you may not be aware of in rehearsals & it could be worth learning from - at least this way you're essentially getting a rehearsal studio for free.

It's your gear so you're completely entitled not to lend it out, don't let others pressure you into it. Saying that; if you're the heaviest band you're probably also the ones that will push the kit the hardest so you're probably fine letting others use it so long as you keep an eye on things.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429187751' post='2748931']
Truthfully not much, apparently a promoter is coming down to possibly give us a support slot with someone.

(Promoter can be trusted, I know the guy. He's honest)

Would like to point out my guitarist is pushing me to loan gear out. I'm fine with loaning cabs out, if I'm using them as I'm pretty responsible with gear, but this has fail written all over it.
[/quote]

Hey dude I was in your position about 1 year ago. Doing the same kind of gigs in the same area and the amount of times I would turn up to a gig like this and because I had decent gear, the promoter would just assume that I was going to let all the other bands use it. :dash1:

I don't like lending gear out as I don't like the idea of using someone elses gear and it breaking, but my band at the time were really forceful like your guitarist is ("Just lend it this once") and it would happen frequently. Its not a great feeling and if I was you I would stand your ground and stick to your guns.

Used to always do those kind of gigs at the three tuns in Gateshead, always a really weird mish mash of different genres and you would just end up playing to the few friends you had brought down and the bar staff.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429189362' post='2748978']
...I'd agreed to loan someone my head because they'd agreed if there was any damages they'd pay for the repair...
[/quote]

I wouldn't be lending out my gear anyway, but especially not under those conditions.

Edited by discreet

a "Journey chronicling his depression over the last few years"
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429187914' post='2748937']
Sorry, but this made me laugh like a drain for some reason. :D
[/quote]

Me too.... reminded me of an a old sketch (Rutland Weekend TV? Not the Nine O'Clock News?) where a singer/songwriter introduces his set with, "I've suffered for my art: now it's your turn."

[quote name='shaundixon666' timestamp='1429189493' post='2748984']
Hey dude I was in your position about 1 year ago. Doing the same kind of gigs in the same area and the amount of times I would turn up to a gig like this and because I had decent gear, the promoter would just assume that I was going to let all the other bands use it. :dash1:

[b]I don't like lending gear out as I don't like the idea of using someone elses gear and it breaking, but my band at the time were really forceful like your guitarist is ("Just lend it this once") and it would happen frequently. Its not a great feeling and if I was you I would stand your ground and stick to your guns. [/b]

Used to always do those kind of gigs at the three tuns in Gateshead, always a really weird mish mash of different genres and you would just end up playing to the few friends you had brought down and the bar staff.
[/quote]

We're playing the Telegraph, heart rock is the promoter.

I'm used to loaning out gear as I do it for my youth gigs that I run with City Youth Music up in Jesmond, but not gear that I'm gigging with.

I know that feeling all too well. It's not great.

With a so called accoustic act that dubs his work as a "Journey chronicling his depression over the last few years"
[/quote]

You just can't beat a good old knees up. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I've only played one multi genre night in 35 years, and it was truly awful.
Little or no cooperation between the acts, a disinterested audience most of the time for all the acts and a complete lack of theme.

As for sharing kit, that's a topic that has cropped up here before.
I just won't do it.
My gear earns me money and I'm going to go hungry if it gets damaged.
I 'know' my gear inside out and I'm there to play, not fiddle about trying to tweak an unfamiliar house rig to get a half decent sound out of it.
That stance doesn't always go down well, but hey, these little disappointments in life help people appreciate the good times better. :)

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429189362' post='2748978']
Unfortunately I only found all this infomation out last night. The only other things I knew was turn up at five and I'd agreed to loan someone my head because they'd agreed if there was any damages they'd pay for the repair. I wasn't expecting to have to take my own cab to a gig as-well and the info about the other bands wasn't given to me.
[/quote]

Sounds like you're going to have to do some legwork to play the gig, shame that the communication's been ropey but there you go. Some gigs are just a mess - they make the cool ones even better.

As for the kit mix-up, you've got till tomorrow to sort it out. That's ages. Most small gigs like the one you describe are kit share IME (I'm not going to get into the rights and wrongs of lending gear - it's been done to death here. Suffice to say I don't have a problem people using my equipment as long as it's arranged in advance).

Get on the phone and make the gig happen ! It may not be a fantastic night, but not all gigs are triumphant victories, some are just gigs.

I'll keep them crossed for you !