Why become a member? ×

Does Your Band Have Star?

blue

I'll talk about Delirium as 'my' band - even though I'm technically only filling in at the moment - it has been my main band for 6 years.
Our lead singer (and 2nd guitar) Rich is a genuinely gifted vocalist, and can hold an audience with the passion and commitment of his performance. He does very little banter and chit-chat but it doesn't seem to be needed. The other 3 of us probably do a better job of talking the p1ss out of each other and general banter and one-liners.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429207803' post='2749311']
One of the most successful bands I was in had the most unassuming frontman.

It was mainly spoken word stuff, not singing most of the time (we were once described as The Fall meets Mogwai), but he had the ability to captivate a room and his 'tween-song musings and poetry often kept the whole venue silent.

Just to say that a frontman doesn't have to be a 'star' in the traditional sense.

Here he is (that's me in the background, in a brief hairless phase)
[/quote]
He does look interesting.

Firstly, i want to make it known, i'm an awful singer, and would be a terrible frontman.
I have got a huge respect for anyone who has the minerals to get up and try to be the face of the entertainment for a whole gig.
Our frontman is a great singer. But is not the best at talking between songs etc.
Does this make him a bad frontman? Not to me, because he does a superb job singing, and we have two other members who do the job of interacting with the crowd. Its a team effort!
It's quite strange though because outside the band setting, he is always the life and soul of the party, and loves holding the attention of everyone.

Our singer makes a good front man, it's what sold me on joining that band rather than another, he's a good enough singer, we do mainly pubs and small clubs doing hard rock and rocked up pop, but he can engage well with a crowd of any size and has enough banter to keep them on our side! Seen too many good local bands who just shuffle around between songs looking a bit bored.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1429213232' post='2749388']
I think you also have to consider the venue and size of the crowd. Fronting to 60 people in a small bar might be different than 2,000 at an outdoor festival.

Blue
[/quote]

This is pretty defining, I'd say. If someone is a great singer and a great frontman, he isn't going to be doing mostly pub dates
as those guys are gold dust and will be nicked by another band who can offer better gigs. The guy will be worth his weight
and will propel the band forward.. charisma alone will do that, so the ability to sing really well as well and the guy will be in
top demand, IMO.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429206807' post='2749289']
Luckily our singer has all three abilities that are mentioned in the post above. As much is it hurts to admit it that is - no good fuelling these singers egos too much.
[/quote]

I can vouch for that, he is one cocky little sod! :lol: