Why become a member? ×

Noisegate for tweeter hiss??

Danthearsonist327

hi guys,

I recently bougt a new Mark Bass rig, (little rocker500 / traveller 2x10 and 1x15) mainly for its portability, but I'm getting a good punchy sound out of it.

HOWEVER... good as the Piezo tweeters sound, they hiss like something not right! Would I be able to mask the background hiss with a noisegate pedal for parts when I'm not playing? I've heard about surpressors "sapping tone" from peoples bass sounds. Anyone used a noisegate for this application before?

Cheers guys

Good evening, Dan...

It really depends on where the hiss is coming from. A noise gate will cut off anything below its threshold, but will not affect any sound after its insertion in the chain. If the hiss is from preceding stuff, it will work, but if the hiss is from the amp itself, or even from the tweeters themselves, it won't make a difference. Do you get the hiss when nothing at all is plugged in, and you crank to 'playing' volume..? Does the volume 'master' reduce the hiss..? Does the input 'gain' affect the hiss..? A bit more info, and someone will have the answer for you.

Edited by Dad3353

It is from the tweeters themselves unfortunately, they have their own volume control knob on the side of the cabs (a clear sign that markbass know fine well that they are way too loud) but turning the tweeters all the way is the only way to totally eliminate the hiss, but you lose a lot of brightness and attack.

Yeah I didn't think of it that way, I suppose it's only gonna eliminate any noise going into the cabs so if the issue is the tweeters then there really isn't anything to be done

Just twigged the sheer stupidity of the question really.

Edited by Danthearsonist327

If it hisses even with the volume on your bass turned all the way down, a pedal would not help.

Another hack would be to rewire the cab to take out the tweeter and crossover, running the woofer full range. That will give you more treble than simply turning down the tweeter. Another method would be to put something in front of the tweeter to muffle it slightly!

Another thread dedicated to this very problem:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226516-disabling-or-replacing-piezo-tweeter-in-markbass-cmd121p-combo/

Edited by dannybuoy

As above, I would disconnect the tweeter completely and route the amp input straight to the speaker bypassing the crossover and tweeter. This puts full signal to the speaker and sounds great to me. If you still need more top end then consider the tweeter replacement...