Why become a member? ×

NBD _ Fender Aerodyne Precision

Chris Sharman

After seeking this esteemed forums experiences of the Fender Aerodyne Precision I went ahead and bought one. It needed work so it was shipped straight off to Andy (AJR1515 of this parish) to seek his attention. The usual pint at the Patternmakers exchanged (Doombar this time) along with the various bits I had purchased to complete the transformation of a good looking, lightweight, and original looking bass into an absolute stunner.

I give you this:

to this:

I am sure Andy has done some more in-depth photos of the work he has done on this, but it now plays as good as it looks and will get it's first public outing on Saturday night with The Badly Stuffed Bears at the Holly Bush in Marehay, Ripley. I can not wait.

Thanks Andy.

It was a pleasure to work on this one...it is a stunning bass. Light, slim, and a great great sound. There's a thread in Repairs and Technical about how I go about tidying up a fretboard, which was this one :)

Let us know how it goes in Ripley, Chris!

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1429372603' post='2750928']
That's a beaut.
[/quote]

Thanks, it's also a beast. The pickups are so hot that it blew an active USA Jazz into the weeds last night! the sound is just EPIC. When we were setting up last night I got this out of the case to put it on the stand and heard the support band guys behind me whisper a collective "F**k Me!" when they saw it.

...and then they heard it... It looks like my Jazz may be hitting the marketplace soon as I can't see this ever leaving my hands.

Again, thanks to Andy for his work, and thanks to those on here who contributed to my decision to purchase it.

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1429444683' post='2751382']
Thanks, it's also a beast. The pickups are so hot that it blew an active USA Jazz into the weeds last night! the sound is just EPIC. When we were setting up last night I got this out of the case to put it on the stand and heard the support band guys behind me whisper a collective "F**k Me!" when they saw it.

...and then they heard it... It looks like my Jazz may be hitting the marketplace soon as I can't see this ever leaving my hands.

Again, thanks to Andy for his work, and thanks to those on here who contributed to my decision to purchase it.
[/quote]

It's great to hear, Chris!

I told you that it was the best sounding bass I've heard through my own amp...

Excellent - can't wait for the next one :lol:

Andy

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1429455628' post='2751512']
Andy, you're a bloomin' wizard ;)

Congrats on an awesome bass Chris!
[/quote]
Takes off pointy hat and bows low enough for long grey beard to curl round on the floor...

...mind you, starting off with a f*****g lovely bass helped.

Glad you found a P to your liking Chris, I know you were tempted by my P deluxe at last year's bass bash. Sounds like this one's right for you and that's half the battle. My deluxe has found a happy home with another BC'er too so it's all good. Hopefully catch your band soon, one of the guys in my new project lives in Marehay and our first gig is likely to be in a Ripley pub.

The neck on it feels even slimmer than my MIM Jazz Thunderpaws. I don't know if this is my mind playing tricks on me but it really does feel that way.

and yes Kev I was very taken by your Precision but could not quite justify it at the time. I have to admit that this one I simply couldn't refuse. It was the combination of looks and weight (or lack of) that sold it to me. Hope to see you up Ripley some time then.

[quote name='felixxx' timestamp='1429783720' post='2754844']
They are rare though.

[/quote]

Niiiiice - thanks for the info. Always baffles me why a bass with a Precision pickup can be described as a Jazz bass, but there you go

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1429891180' post='2756102']
That's cool.....i like the pearl pick guard
[/quote]

Thanks, I saw a photo of one that was for sale online a while back and that had the pearl pickguard fitted. Kind of stuck with me and as soon as I was told this bass was for sale I knew what was going on in place of the black one that was fitted. It just looks "right" you know?

• 9 months later...

hi guys. sliiiiightly off topic. i have an aerodyne jazz, wedding present from the lovely wife :)
just wondered if there was anyone in my neck of the woods (essex) who can give her the same attention as Andy in this thread?
(the bass i mean, not the wife!) :)