Why become a member? ×

Distorted amp (ashdown)

mikebass84

My Ashdown EB 180H seems to be having a few problems. I have been keeping it at our lock up as I'm too lazy to carry it home but recently purchased a new cab and wanted to check it out so I brought the amp home to discover its rather distorted. I've tried a few different basses and my old rig to make sure it wasn't the cab.

I've changed leads and even changed the kettle lead. Not sure if it's something to do with old house wiring or if it's the amp.

Do have practice next week so I can check it out then but just some advice in the meantime would be nice

Ideally you should never keep any gear in an unheated outdoor room. All kinds of corrosion can start up.
A pal had a Hartke 2 x 15" cab once which suddenly sounded like the speakers had blown, hardly a sound out of it apart from a distorted fart. Cut a long story short it turned out to be a tarnished jack socket. Quick clean up and a squirt of electrical lube and it was cracking windows again.

Ok so it is distorted when you go direct in to the FX return, then that means that it is only the power amp and the speaker. My money is on the speaker.

All wound components hate damp - that includes speakers, transformers, reverb tanks and chokes. Other parts are more resilient but rule of thumb is never leave any gear where you wouldn't be happy to sleep yourself.

Good luck with the fix.