Why become a member? ×

Advice on teaching your kids

Linus27

Hi,

I'm just after some advice and guidance on the best approach to help my daughter learn to play bass. She is only 6 but is starting to show interest and from time to time asks to play one of my basses. The first thing I will do is to get her a Kala bass so she has something that will suit her size. I also have a really nice EBS Classic combo which she can have as well.

My concern is the best approach for her to learn. I am self taught, started at 16 and just locked myself away in my bedroom for 2 years and then went out and joined a band. Not really ideal for my daughter. My son started drums at around 8 and did have lessons but to be fair, him and I clashed whenever I got involved, helping him practise and offering advice. As soon as I stepped away, he started to blossom and now at 12, has passed grade 2 drums and has now moved on to Violin and is working towards his grade 3, then 5 and then grade 8. His Violin teacher says he is amazing and he will eventually move to Viola. He also plays Piano and started composing.

So, I would like to distance myself from my daughters learning and just be there for any questions, technical problems and support. The last thing I want to do is to start teaching her and getting into arguments and eventually putting her off. Hopefully in time, she would feel confident to play and chat, be it in 2 years, 5 years or 20 years time. If she went for lessons, I would also ask my wife to take her. It was bad enough taking my son to drum lessons in terms of chatting music and understanding everything he was being taught so going to bass lessons would be a nightmare for her :)

The obvious option is get her a teacher but my concern is she will get bogged down with learning to read music at this stage, become bored and uninterested rather than just enjoying making a noise and learning the basics. Learning to read will be an eventual goal but is 6 just a bit young and should I just let her noodle in her bedroom for a few years and see where it leads?

Just not sure what the next step would be as well keeping myself distanced so to not put her off.

Teachers of traditional orchestral instruments will be used to teaching kids from 5-6, they'll be able to bring them on without putting them off. Might be more of a challenge finding an electric bass teacher willing / capable of this.

My mum is a violinist and frequently had pupils start at this age. By the time they get past grade 8 they can be off to the Royal Academy, but some are completely sick of it and abandon the instrument entirely. Have to be prepared that starting them really young is essentially your choice, not theirs.

Edited by Drax

I think six years is likely to be a perfect age to begin to learn to read dots - for bass she needs the lower stave (bass clef) of the piano. Would your son (drums/violin/piano) not be willing or able to assist/encourage (gently, of course, and slowly)? It could help him to develop (personally, but also musically) too. Try to ensure she learns good technique(s), but don't interfere with sloppy/experimental as long as she isn't hurting herself through straining.

Edited by Michael J

I'm a music teacher who travels around schools teaching all ages. At the age of six. Show her how to play along with you and have fun. Don't worry about notation. All the studies show that the cognative development of kids means what will take her 18mths to learn at 6 she'll fly through in months at 8. I see it all the time. I do a lot of whole class ukulele sessions and I colour code the chords with dots, prob in the same way your sons violin teacher did at the start. Colour code her the 3 chord trick and get her to play along with you. Proper lessons can wait. It's all about the fun of music right now.

Thank you for all your advise and guidance. Really do appreciate it. I have bought the Kala Sub bass that was for sale on here so that's sorted.

Keeping it fun is key at this stage so thanks for mentioning that. In my head it's lets do it properly which is wrong so I must avoid falling in to that trap. I'll see how it goes for 6 months of just having fun and noodling and if going well, then maybe I'll look into finding a suitable teacher who can start to add some structure and learning.

I don't have kids but teach classroom music. My top tip is to leave the instrument out of its case. Kids then pick it up for five minutes here and there as well as proper practice. Helps you keep it sneakily in-tune too.

Grades are fine as goals but my dad taught me and performances were where it was at. He'd say if you can get some barre chords down then you can sit in at church or whatever and that really floated my boat. At work if we don't have a performance scheduled the attendance and quality of rehearsals drop like a stone.

It's been hinted at already, but worth repeating: she'll get further quicker if she's enjoying it. If that means you have to take a step back and watch lovingly from a distance then that's what you do. Last I had anything to do with it, primary schools started offering formal lessons in year 3 (rising 8), although it may differ in different parts of the country. There's a lot to be said for learning to read the dots, but perhaps not yet.

One other thing: if you do plan to start lessons at 8 then you may need to go private, as IME school-based tutors are unlikely to agree to electric bass tuition at that age. Maybe things have changed in the last few years...

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1429380286' post='2750994']My top tip is to leave the instrument out of its case. Kids then pick it up for five minutes here and there as well as proper practice.
[/quote]

Good call. If it's there to hand, someone will noodle on it