Why become a member? ×

ghost notes

karlplaysbass

Interesting. I had to watch a YouTube video to see what a ghost note was. I've been doing this (playing ghost notes) for nearly forty years, for feel and adding presence in the song, but I never knew that what I was doing was called "playing ghost notes" until today. lol

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1429368664' post='2750865']
Interesting. I had to watch a YouTube video to see what a ghost note was. I've been doing this (playing ghost notes) for nearly forty years, for feel and adding presence in the song, but I never knew that what I was doing was called "playing ghost notes" until today. lol
[/quote]Me too!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1429399236' post='2751147']
Me too!
[/quote]
And me. I find that when people are mentioning many techniques/scales etc, I already know how to play them, I just didn`t know that`s what they were called.

Edited by Lozz196

Try searching for exercises around the term 'finger funk'. Jaco is legendary at this but so is Francis Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power fame. Also look out for Matt Garrison's four-finger application of groove playing with ghosts notes if you want to achieve hyper-speed (and get fired from most normal bands)

Whoa hold on there - passing notes are entirely different to ghost notes. Passing notes are gliss's or commonly chromatic connecting notes in a line or melody. Ghost notes are notes that have a rhythm value but no pitch as they're muted or otherwise not sounded. Make sense?

I started woth Too Young To Die and When You Gonna Learn by Jamiroquai. Fairly easy lines to play but the ghost notes really brings them to life and makes them sound a whole lot funkier. In between learning songs I would practice playing scales with ghost notes. I feel it helped a lot. Now my playing is littered with ghost notes :-)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1429457047' post='2751534']
Whoa hold on there - passing notes are entirely different to ghost notes. Passing notes are gliss's or commonly chromatic connecting notes in a line or melody. Ghost notes are notes that have a rhythm value but no pitch as they're muted or otherwise not sounded. Make sense?
[/quote]I meant bum notes. Were you being ironic about my irony?