Why become a member? ×

Record Store Day (A rant)

bobbass4k

So today was Record Store Day. There were two of the exclusive releases I really wanted. For those unaware, you're not allowed to reserve or pre-order any of the exclusives, the idea is to drum up interest and hype and get you in the store, but you can ask your local shop to make sure something is on their order.

I was a bit sneaky this year and "ordered" my decidedly rock records at the impossible to find store that specializes in Dance/Techno/Club records, with the idea of maximizing my chances.

Turned up 10 minutes before opening to a queue of about 10 people. Doors opened, and most of these 10 people proceeded to scoop up literally everything, including, between them, all the copies of the two records I wanted. They didn't even look at them. And that was it, for another year. The same thing happened last year. 30 minutes later, multiple copies of both the releases I wanted were on eBay. The cheapest was 3 times the store price.

I'm all for the idea of Record Store Day, but this is what happens everywhere, every year. traders buy everything then hock it on eBay. It's the same problem as ticket touts, only this problem is much easier to deal with. A simple one copy per customer limit would do so much to help, or limiting everyone to five records. But the shops don't care because they always sell out their stock, and RSD don't care because they get massive queues which are great publicity. I don't really see why I should continue to prop up brick and mortar stores when they seem to actively be preventing me from giving them money.

Rant over.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1429371910' post='2750914']
Tell me a little more as I have never heard of record store day.
[/quote]

I guess it's been around for a few years now, a way of promoting record stores instead of people using Amazon or whatever.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1429371910' post='2750914']
Tell me a little more as I have never heard of record store day.
[/quote]

It's basically a publicity campaign to promote independent record stores (obviously they're doing a great job on raising awareness...). Loads of bands and labels release limited one off exclusives that are only available through participating stores. The big stores get massive pre-opening queues and it can get a bit aggressive. The idea is to promote old fashioned brick and mortar stores and get people in the door. The reality is that traders buy up everything and hock it on eBay, shutting out the genuine fans.

[url="http://recordstoreday.co.uk/"]http://recordstoreday.co.uk/[/url]

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/17/record-store-day-2015-share-your-photos-and-experiences"]http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/17/record-store-day-2015-share-your-photos-and-experiences[/url]

I think maybe sales should be limited to stop bulk buying.

If you're a regular record store visitor, Record Store Day is the worst day of the year to visit your local friendly record store. Normally on a nice sunny day like today, I'd quite happily wander round town, popping into my usual haunts for a browse, but today if I want to in, it'll involve a queue and having a list of what I want, to speed things along. This year, I had a look at what was coming out, and pretty much none of it appealed to me, and it's painfully obvious that so much of it is aimed at the "collectors" market, rather than the "I'd actually quite like to listen to the record, and I'm not particularly bothered that doing so will involve opening the cellophane and halving the eBay sale value" market.

The internet ruining something that was introduced due to the internet ruining something else.
I now buy all my cds in HMV because they are now cheaper than Amazon now they charge for postage, and their prices have, generally, risen too.GREED.
I realise that this is not linked to the OPs dilemma, and I sympathise, as he says, the solution is easy, limit customers or let people order by name but make them pick up in shop.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1429372315' post='2750924']
[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/17/record-store-day-2015-share-your-photos-and-experiences"]http://www.theguardi...and-experiences[/url]

I think maybe sales should be limited to stop bulk buying.
[/quote]

Totally agree, limit it to 2 copies per record per person.

John

Last year I wanted a copy of Nirvana's Pennyroyal Tea 7".
But on RSD I was nowhere near a shop. I popped into a shop the following Monday and asked them to order me a copy.
Which they did.

Not all the copies of some records get sent out for the actual day. Some are held back. It's worth seeing if it can still be obtained.

I think RSD has had it's day. Now the major labels are getting in on the act it's all going pear shaped...

You could tell us what you wanted and we could keep a look out for you...

Edited by bartelby

I imagine many got the needle today . I just can't get my head around record store day. The record/cd/ MP3 companies are behaving like bankers.
Once I started offloading most of my vinyl for cd, I couldn't see the need to go back and buy something on vinyl that I had in the first place.

There are also some stringent rules on what`s allowed to be sold on these days as well - when we released our vinyl album in my last band we weren`t allowed to take part as we didn`t have enough items available, so instead of supporting bands who can only afford to get 500 or so made up, they want people with biggers stocks. Kind of makes a mockery of it all in my view.

I cant stand Record Store Day. I understand why in theory it's a good idea, but it never works like that. It feels like it actually penalises the people who support their local Record shop all year round, as it makes it harder to get any of the releases you might want.

Independent Record shops can't really not do it though, as I know that the takings on that day for my local shop last year were more than the rest of the year in total.

I went in the day before and bought Sleep's Holy Mountain :) so I'm happy anyway.

Well the artistes wouldn't be artistes without the genuine fans and wouldn't have any worthwhile future without you so I think I'd choose that route. Actually contact them and the labels and make them aware of what's happening. You never know, a few of them may just care about the genuine people who follow them.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1429427870' post='2751218']
I cant stand Record Store Day. I understand why in theory it's a good idea, but it never works like that. It feels like it actually penalises the people who support their local Record shop all year round, as it makes it harder to get any of the releases you might want.

Independent Record shops can't really not do it though, as I know that the takings on that day for my local shop last year were more than the rest of the year in total.

I went in the day before and bought Sleep's Holy Mountain :) so I'm happy anyway.
[/quote]

I must confess, I don't actually go to my local record shops at any other time, though that's primarily because none of the ones in York cater to my taste. Back when I was spending most of my weekends in Manchester I always made a detour to Piccadilly Records and bought a fair few things.

For those asking, I was after mcluskyism and the Swans EP. The Swans EP may well turn up elsewhere and I'll keep an eye out, but I'm not optimistic about mcluskyism, it's an RSD exclusive reissue and they re-issued another mclusky album for 2012 RSD, I couldn't make it into a store and it took a couple of years to find a 2nd hand one at a reasonable price (only 1.5 times the RRP), for the few months after they were all £70+

I know a couple of record stores that do out a limit on purchases on record store day, so maybe stick to those stores rather than a store you have zero rapport with.
Also, get there earlier?!? ;)

Better luck next year dude.
Si

My record store day experience was fantastic. They were selling beer, and the owners personal collection of 10,000 vinyl for £1.00 each, regardless of what it was....a good day.

If you are looking for something hard to find, and didn't manage today at your local store, try discogs. it's fab

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1429427870' post='2751218']
[/quote]

A used copy or a bootleg?
How much was it?

EDIT: ah, so Earache have finally re-issued it!!
I bet Al is spitting over it!

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1429453676' post='2751487']
I must confess, I don't actually go to my local record shops at any other time, though that's primarily because none of the ones in York cater to my taste. Back when I was spending most of my weekends in Manchester I always made a detour to Piccadilly Records and bought a fair few things.

For those asking, I was after mcluskyism and the Swans EP. The Swans EP may well turn up elsewhere and I'll keep an eye out, but I'm not optimistic about mcluskyism, it's an RSD exclusive reissue and they re-issued another mclusky album for 2012 RSD, I couldn't make it into a store and it took a couple of years to find a 2nd hand one at a reasonable price (only 1.5 times the RRP), for the few months after they were all £70+
[/quote]

Have a word with spillers records in cardiff. they still had mcluskyism in stock (no doubt there are extra copies in the diff- wander around enough you can probably get the falco and jack to sign it!)

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1429453676' post='2751487']

[/quote]

Apparently the Swans EP for the UK was delayed. No one got it in for the day.

As for mclusky:
http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6911089?ev=rb

Edited by bartelby