Why become a member? ×

Beef up Jazz bass tone

MarkG3

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1429608178' post='2753028']
This. I had a Jazz bass that had this (it was McNach's, then I bought it, he missed it so much I sold it back to him) and it was fantastic. Sound guys used to complement me on how good it sounded. No, really!
[/quote]

The "black beauty"... :) I love that bass!
I'm so glad to have found it again :)

"that bass player looks a bit familiar, but I can't think why"
later...
"that bass looks a lot like my old black Jazz... wait!!! It is my old black Jazz!!!" :lol:

Start with both volume pots full up then pluck a string and turn the neck volume pot down very slightly until you hear the mids becoming more present. Turning the tone back a little might sound okay too. Both volumes full up scoops the mids a lot.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1429599945' post='2752922']
There is nothing wrong (IMO) with the stock J&D pickups! :)
[/quote]

+1 pretty punchy pickups that I rather like the sound of.

Fit an S1 Switch or if you are OK with a soldering iron just wire the pickups in series and see if you like the sound.

Edited by Rumple

Thanks everyone for your responses, I haven't had a chance to sit down and properly go through them yet but I've scanned through and it looks like there's quite a few options.

How would an s1 switch be fitted?
What sound differences would there be wiring to series?

The Fender S1 switch was a push button in the end of the volume control, it switched the two pickups from parallel to series, so effectively treated both pickups as one, rather spaced out, Precision pickup.
I had a Fender Jazz with the S1 and almost exclusively played it in series mode, also has the benefit of one volume control (the bridge pickup volume becomes redundant in series).
So, you can either hard-wire a Jazz in series, or wire a switch in that gives you the option to go back to parallel.

Si

You can use either a push/pull pot in the 1st volume pot or fit a mini toggle switch somewhere.

If you don't feel confident doing the simple wiring yourself there are people on Ebay that sell looms already wired like [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAZZ-BASS-WIRING-LOOM-with-series-parallel-push-pull-pot-/251903587328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa69fb400"]this one[/url]

Or speak to Kiogon of this very parish.

Thanks again everyone. I've had plenty of p basses before and actually have a classic vibe 50s p

I've ordered a wiring loom from KiOgon, stacked pots with separate tones and a series/parallel switch so excited to see what it'll sound like!

"I've ordered a wiring loom from KiOgon, stacked pots with separate tones and a series/parallel switch so excited to see what it'll sound like!"

Based on the helpful comments in this thread & my love of the series setting on my Reverend 5, I'm ordering exactly the same setup from John & will also report back.

Edited by PTB

Well the wiring kit arrived and was fitted within 10 minutes. The fitting is very similar to a stereo, put the stripped wire into the hole, then using one of the tools provided, screw down a screw and done.

I'm loving how easy this was to fit, the series/parallel switch is great, makes it sound so much better. Really pleased :) it looks good too! Quality is really good as well!

Just fitted a S1 switch to my geddy lee jazz. Like the sound, but the button is a pain in the arse - seems to stick and more importantly, while it is half way between on and off it makes no sound!

Its not the switch, it is the stupid plastic button thing that doesn't work well. I think time to get some sandpaper out!

Just fitted a standard jazz wiring kit from John, have my very bright jazz conected up in series mode at the moment ( joined neck pick up earth to bridge hot wire) With the 84's have finally given my jazz some balls.

I've wired my jazz in permanent series mode, did think about getting a switch, but lets be honest, playing in a loud rock covers band, if you get a good sound that can be heard in the band mix, stick with it!! I find the series sound is fuller and punchier, although obviously less versatile, but if its a beefy sound you're after, it works for me. I also tried Dimarzio model j pickups, the dual coil ones, but found them too muddy sounding and went back to the stock fender ones.

Neck pup up full, bridge pup rolled back a quarter. Tone between 1/3 rolled off and halfway (depending on string brightness). Pickup magnets adjusted in correspondence with action height, preferably medium-ish. Install big output strings - Lo Riders, Boomers at least 45-100, ideally 45-105.

Bass at noon on amp, treble at 1 o clock. Boost the mids to 1/1.30 if you can at 800Hz. Also, attack the strings harder. Job done.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1430661866' post='2763482']
Just fitted a S1 switch to my geddy lee jazz. Like the sound, but the button is a pain in the arse - seems to stick and more importantly, while it is half way between on and off it makes no sound!

Its not the switch, it is the stupid plastic button thing that doesn't work well. I think time to get some sandpaper out!
[/quote]

I had this problem with my fender s1 switch. I rubbed a bit of WD40 on the plastic bits. Its been fineever since.

I had the problem where the button would stick when I had my S1 Jazz, fortunately it just stuck in the 'series' mode, so I just forgot about it and left it lol.
Eventually it was an easy fix.

Si