Why become a member? ×

Selling our music-advice please.

Pinball

I'm really pleased that my band are nearly finished our first EP......the tracks get mastered this week and we the art work and covers are ordered

Every-things being done in house as much as possible to keep costs down and we see this primarily as a promotional exercise. The plan is to produce a small number of CD's promotion and sale and to sell downloads..

Edited by Pinball

For selling downloads you need to sign up with an aggregator. There are quite a few and all offer slightly different deals, so you'll need to work out the best one for you based on how many downloads you expect to sell and what timeframe you want to sell them over. The important download sites they need to get you on are iTunes and Amazon and on Spotify for promotion (last time I looked over 95% of our download sales came from iTunes and Amazon).

Also sign up to Bandcamp (but check first that your aggregator deal allows you to use other download sites). They do downloads and physical (CD, vinyl, cassettes) sales. IMO it's important to offer a physical medium for sale as not everyone wants just downloads and even if you are selling CDs at gigs, people often don't have enough money left at the end of the gig to buy one, but they may well get one on-line the following day.

You probably don't need a website, but remember that not everyone is on Facebook. If you do have your own site it doesn't need to complicated. For a long time the Terrortones site was a single page with links to all our other on-line presences. Some time later we added a merch page

We use a company called horus music; we get monthly payments and statements, they'll put your music everywhere for you. Most people will go to amazon / itunes / spotify for downloads and not a webstore (in my experience; YMMV)

Edited by Old_Ben

As others have said - bandcamp for direct, then pick an aggregator for the rest (CD Baby, Vidzone, IODA, loads of the MERLIN members etc...).

Definitely do a CD. I would also do a band website, even if it's just a blog or something - lot's of people will appreciate it & I always find it better to control at least some of your online presence yourself.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1429644435' post='2753638']
Have you joined PPL to get your ISRC Codes?
[/quote]
That's in hand thanks. I just sent off the forms this Monday. We've had a bit of radio play with our demos already so that was already overdue.