Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Behemoth? Suggest a big crazy cab for us to add to the range! (And tell us why we should...)

alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1429621420' post='2753284']
That would be enormous! I think for going that low a better approach is to make something like a Bag End ELF (this is not something from Middle Earth, it really exists!) using a sealed cab and an active module with DSP to flatten the response down low. Hence my crazy 6x12" (or maybe 4x12") idea...
[/quote]

You asked for a behemoth, I thank you very much :D

A large 360 degree cab. 1x18 facing upwards and some sort of radiator at the top and maybe even a down ward facing one at the floor. Or multi speakers in various directions. I'm not entirely sure of its use but suppose you could put it in the middle of the audience.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1429627419' post='2753386']

out of interest... if you had a mesa walkabout... 300w at 4ohms, 160w or so at 8 ohms, can push it to 2ohms if needed... which barefaced would you suggest? the retro 610? two retro210.

[/quote]

Walkabout sounds lush with one Retro Two10... I went 4 ohm to get the max from the walkabout, and as you mention it'll do 2 ohms!

I like the 19" wide idea, lightweight amps will still fit on top but so will "proper" amps ;) I would definitely be interested in a "wide boy" version of cabs. It was actually a deciding factor in my cab choices last time round. I was tempted with a couple of SC on putting them on their side for this very reason.

My suggestion, a 4x10 with top 2 speakers angled upwards. Like those Marshall 4x12 cabs. Or even a ST with the same idea. A small, lightweight cab is useless if the sounds at your ankles.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1429689823' post='2753872']
3x15 Kustom lightweight Tuck'n'Roll Copy.

[/quote]

Veering OT for a second, who were The Federal Reserve? That's not a name that is Google-friendly, which probably didn't bother the people in this photo.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1429624995' post='2753355']
Seems like a lot of lightweight amps (which would make sense to be part of a faux combo) aren't 19" wide nowadays?
[/quote]
But you can generally get 19" compatible ears for them - or you could sell custom ears to fit a range of light weight amps into your Cab widths?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1429609893' post='2753055']
an 18", a 12" and a selectable HF horn in the same cab.

I reckon that's the panacea speaker - covers everyone's frequency response needs
[/quote]

It would also meet the laxative needs of humans and elephants. :ph34r:

EBS used to do a 4x12 in a staggered format in the same footprint as their 8x10 cab. I think a vertical-ish aligned 4x12 with the bottom two speakers low-passed could be cool. Plus make it splittable (like the Ampeg fridge) so the cab is bi-amp-able.

Ian

Never mind all this nonsense about driver size, impedance and how it sounds :P ... how about going for a bit of bling... I'd go for a silver sparkle finish (like the Gretsch Silver Jet guitar) and then add led's around the front of the cab :sun_bespectacled: (just inside the grill)

Like the idea of a lightweight faux combo also. Most amp rack ear kits go to 19", so that would work