Why become a member? ×

NBD (sunglasses & legal advice recommended)

Bassassin

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429738439' post='2754553']
It's Barbie's bass !
[/quote]

Lol :)

This bass looks amazing!
I thought at last, I had all the basses I could ever want
.... but this has made me think again

How good are Retrovibes?
What's it sound like? What's it like to play?

Great stuff. Glad you like it :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1430232878' post='2759265']
How good are Retrovibes?
What's it sound like? What's it like to play?
[/quote]

It's not bad. Haven't had the chance to give it a proper setup & fettling (in fact I currently don't have a useable workspace), so I'm playing it out of the box at the moment. The neck's nice - fairly broad but quite shallow with a flat-ish radius, it's well-balanced & comfortable on a strap, unlike a real Rick it's got a very welcome forearm contour & a bit of a gut-cut. It's pretty light too, compared with some of my deadweights. Fret work's spot-on, nice & smooth with no sharp edges. There's zero relief in the neck which means there's a tiny bit of buzzing around the 3rd/4th frets on the E & A, but plugged in, I'm not hearing it.

I do need to tweak the string height down a bit - played it at practice tonight & it was quite hard work on some of the busier songs. Sound-wise, it's loud with masses of low-end, I ended up soloing the bridge pickup & boosting mids to get it to cut through properly. I think I'll re-wire it with push-pots to get proper single-coil switching - I don't think the T-40 wiring's working exactly how it should. Might go for a single volume & pickup pan pot - I've never seen the point of a 3-way selector switch on a bass.

So I'm really happy with it - it's pretty damn good as it is, but has the potential to be great. And realistically, just look at it - even if it played like a turd, I'd love it. :D

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1430259864' post='2759695']
Might go for a single volume & pickup pan pot - I've never seen the point of a 3-way selector switch on a bass.
[/quote]

I'm not a fan of more than one volume control, so I've also pondered this, but I don't think I've seen a pan-pot on a passive bass... is there some reason to do with buffering and/or other clever electric stuff for that?

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1430301343' post='2759936']
I'm not a fan of more than one volume control, so I've also pondered this, but I don't think I've seen a pan-pot on a passive bass... is there some reason to do with buffering and/or other clever electric stuff for that?
[/quote]

Shouldn't be a problem. On the cheaper pre-amps that get fitted into the majority of far-eastern basses both the volume and pickup blend controls are passive, only the EQ part is actually active.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1430465353' post='2761595']
Jon - I'm loving seeing your more extreme tastes in basses but it's
the bike that caught my eye. . . . . . :gas: :gas: :gas:

VERY nice indeed!

:)
[/quote]

It is quite magnificent, isn't it! :D

I'm sufficiently shallow to be incredibly pleased to have found a bass to match (well, almost) my bike. Makes it even better that it's a Rickenfaker. B)

J.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430530442' post='2762418']
A friend of mine sold an almost identical Speed Triple known as Natalie - it was one of the two bikes that Ms Imbruglia rode in "Johnny English". That wouldn't happen to be her, would it?
[/quote]

No, unfortunately mine's only famous on BC! The Johnny English S3s were the 01-onward models which has different bodywork & a slightly uprated motor, mine's the earlier version which is basically a detuned Daytona T595 with the fairing kicked off.

I do remember a couple of years back, a guy on Triumph Torque was selling an S3 that he reckoned was the Johnny English bike. He'd replaced all the bodywork with black (sexual insecurity must be a terrible thing) and was selling the "Nuclear Red" bits separately.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1430587997' post='2762937']
No, unfortunately mine's only famous on BC! The Johnny English S3s were the 01-onward models which has different bodywork & a slightly uprated motor, mine's the earlier version which is basically a detuned Daytona T595 with the fairing kicked off.
[/quote]

This was Natalie:

I bought a pre-crashed T595 and put a little fairing on it to make my own 955cc Speed Trifle: