Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some 'private' headphones

Zenitram

Do any of you have recommendations for headphones that one can wear on the bus or train and listen to music quite loudly, without the person next to you hearing it?

I think I want the inverse of what noise-cancelling headphones do -- I don't want to bother the outside world with my noise. Do they have a name?

Budget of up to, oh I don't know, fifty quid tops. Really tops.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1429874588' post='2755819']
Any at all? Are some better than others, or are they all the same in that regard?
[/quote]

Take your pick from this range..?

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=superlux+headphones"]Thomann: Superlux headphones...[/url]

I have a set for monitoring; they cost around £25 or so, and are excellent, but a bit 'gawky' for wearing in public, maybe. There are more discreet models, though. HD440..? HD661..? HD660..? HD562..?
You are, of course, aware of the hazard to your hearing of listening to loud [i]anything [/i]for too long..?

Edited by Dad3353

I have a pair of HD 668B that I use for monitoring at home, and I'm very happy with them (for the price). Superlux was the first place I went to look for 'on-the-bus' headphones. The reviews suggest they're not very good for noise attenuation. Which is why I'm asking the question here, to see if people have a pair that they [i]know[/i] to be good at not leaking noise.

Obviously I'm aware of the hazards of listening to anything loud for too long -- 'too long' means precisely that. I expect my 20-minute bus ride to Bromley every other day will probably be okay. I just don't want to bother the people around me with the wibbly-wobbly ambient rubbish I listen to.

I've just ordered a set of these; [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd6Ih-fyQ1o[/media]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F54Y6GU/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=15QRB98HRCSY3ETWSBGK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=449059267&pf_rd_i=4085751

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-Sony-MDR-NC31E-Black-Digital-Noise-Cancelling-Ear-Headphones-Earphones-/271648358791

I use these and they sound great. Good for you because they cut out background noise well so you can look after your ears by not needing the volume cranked to get a good listening experience.
Good for them for the same reasons.

These buds work a bit like studio closed back cans.
They do work with other mp3 devices by the way.

Edited by miles'tone

Amazon delivered my August EP650's today. Got to say they are very, very good and easily comparable to ones that would have cost me more than three times the cost.

At comfortable/sensible listening volume, no noise leaks out. Turn them up loud then there is leakage.

So far I'm very pleased with the purchase and at just over £30, I'm seriously impressed.

Do they have to be headphones?

In-ears might be a better shout in terms of better isolation and portability/discretion.

You might be able to pick up some Shure SE215s for that budget - they do isolation far better than any set of cans and sound plenty good.

For around £50 in the shop:
AKG K 323XS
Audio Technica ATH-CKS50
Beyerdynamic DTX 102
Soundmagic E10

Edited by Ben Jamin

+1 for Shure SE 215s - they are incredibly good for the money. They sometimes come up with damaged packaging on eBay - I got a set that were brand new with all the bits and warranty but no box for under £60.