Why become a member? ×

Amp vibrating off cab....any cures..?

jonnythenotes

Sounds reeeaaaallly nice..... The vibration I get is not like a fifties washing machine on a spin cycle...Think Uncle Buck..., more like a very fast dentists drill type thing. The main problem is a light weight amp....Epifani PS 6000, which has sort of small hard rubber feet which does not have the weight to hold itself in place. The cabs I use are 2 Ashdown ABM Neo 4x8's, stacked, which are the best I have ever owned... and can handle anything I throw at them as they are rated at 1000 watts each. It's just the small surface contact area of the feet, and the weight of the amp, (or lack of ) that cause this problem, which has been fixed for £1.

I must be missing something here.... How can you have a bass cab that picks up no vibration from the speaker it contains. Unless you float the speaker, and completely isolate it from contacting the cab, you will transfer vibration to the speaker enclosure. Every cab I have ever owned has vibrated.... How else would you explain the 'boomy stage' we have all experienced, or the reasoning behind a Gramma Pad. Give me an example of a speaker cab that I could put my hand on top of, when it is being driven at gigging volume, and not feel any vibration, and I will eat my hat.... There is no such thing....

Not saying there will be no vibration at all, but it is unusual to have so much that it will rattle the amp off the top of the cab. As you say the feet not gripping could be the actual problem.

Anyway, you've fixed the problem, so all's good.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432066271' post='2777886']
I must be missing something here.... How can you have a bass cab that picks up no vibration from the speaker it contains. Unless you float the speaker, and completely isolate it from contacting the cab, you will transfer vibration to the speaker enclosure. Every cab I have ever owned has vibrated.... How else would you explain the 'boomy stage' we have all experienced, or the reasoning behind a Gramma Pad. Give me an example of a speaker cab that I could put my hand on top of, when it is being driven at gigging volume, and not feel any vibration, and I will eat my hat.... There is no such thing....
[/quote]

You might like to look at Chris's earlier post. I have a (modified) Ashdown ABM Mini 15 that hardly vibrates at all even with a 500-watt driver fitted. You're right that you can't completely get rid of vibration, but you can get it down to negligible levels.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432047745' post='2777551']
Sounds reeeaaaallly nice..... The vibration I get is not like a fifties washing machine on a spin cycle...Think Uncle Buck..., more like a very fast dentists drill type thing. The main problem is a light weight amp....Epifani PS 6000, [color=#0000cd][b]which has sort of small hard rubber feet[/b][/color] which does not have the weight to hold itself in place. The cabs I use are 2 Ashdown ABM Neo 4x8's, stacked, which are the best I have ever owned... and can handle anything I throw at them as they are rated at 1000 watts each. It's just the small surface contact area of the feet, and the weight of the amp, (or lack of ) that cause this problem, which has been fixed for £1.
[/quote]

change the feet!!! :)

easy, cheap, and profer long term solution, no "oh, where's teh mat?" or "man, this mat is getting disgusting" ;)

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432197726' post='2779019']
Because the amp is so light, I think even Spider-Man/ super grip octopus sucker feet would not keep it on.....I will check it out though...thanks.
[/quote]

Don't know, that's what I did for my very very light GB Shuttle 9.2... it had hard plastic feet and if you brush it it would slide about. You had to make sure you secure the cable around a handle or something or it would move all over the place too easily. Rubber grippy feet, and no more trouble. They cost me pennies each.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429886535' post='2756023']
Strapping the head to the cab with some bungee cords ?
[/quote]

I did this - cab handle, up and over the amp and down to the cab handle on the other side!

Edited by oldmanrock

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1429887196' post='2756034']
£2 with free delivery from [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Multipurpose-Non-Slip-Mat-Furniture/dp/B00AVJ9GBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429887121&sr=8-1&keywords=non+slip+mat"]Amazon[/url]:

[/quote]

Seriously dont bother with elaborate solutions, just use this stuff.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1440235253' post='2849221']
Bumped for 'Itsmedunc' to have a look at...
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, some great solutions. I'll wait until I get it then decide on either the rubber mat or some non slip feet, then put the lead through the cab handle. What could possibly go wrong?