Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Shootout (8 basses from 1964 - 2015)

Bass Pedal Geek

Very interesting.

recently I built a precision out of parts I had. I've fitted 3 different pickups. A cheapo 'no name' pickup (possibly Squire), an old Seymour Duncan pickup (late 70s early 80s) and the latest Fender custom shop model (as fitted in USA standards).

And, as your review found out, there's is not a huge difference between them. In fact, if I'm totally honest with myself, I have a bit of a soft spot for the no name pickup.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1429954740' post='2756614']
Definitely a neat little shootout!

Listening over and over, the main things I've reaffirmed.

Listening with ears, not my mind, and I really love P-basses :lol:
[/quote]

Yep gotta love them. But luckily basses are not about monogamy - I love J basses too. (and Stingrays and... ;-) )

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1430831946' post='2764968']
Excellent - thanks for doing this. It's good to see the Squier Jag holding its own amongst such exalted company.
[/quote]

Thanks! And yes the Squier is not bad at all. You can definitely hear a difference, but that is also due to the short scale, I'm sure.

• 1 month later...

To my ears, the '64 is the only one where the tone control doesn't sound like it's muffling the sound i.e. 100% on is a rich dubby sound whereas on the others it just sounds woolly. Maybe the flats help though - got to say the first two with flats are the real deal for me with the '64 out in front.

The 1964 is probaby my favorite P bass when it comes to pure tone. However, the wide C-neck is not good for my hands for some reason... Probably the string spacing as even wider 5-string necks don't bother me at all.

Regarding the tone, I almost never turn back the tone control all the way. 50% is usually max and most of the time I don't use it at all :-)