Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG 300 combo replacement speaker

davisaa

Hi all,

I recently blew the speaker in my Ashdown MAG 300 combo. I have a BlueLine 150w 8ohm speaker from an older amplifier of mine and was wondering if this would be suitable to replace the blown speaker in the MAG 300?

The reason I ask is because although the MAG 300 is rated 300 watts rms it has two outputs, one for the combo speaker and one for an extension cab. I am struggling to understand if the amplifier is outputting 150w to each of these channels, or if an extension cabinet is not in use whether the amplifier will be outputting 300 watts rms to the one main output for its internal speaker? If the amplifier is outputting 150w to each output I am assuming the 150w speaker will be a sufficient replacement as long as I am not driving the speaker too hard.

Another option I thought of would be to attempt to lower the overall output of the MAG 300 head so it would be suitable for the 150w speaker? But I am unsure how difficult this would be?

Thank you in advance for an help/advice as this is my first post :)

The amp will put a little over half the power out, from memory it's about 180W with this amp. The power should double into half the ohms but in practice the power supply will rarely provide enough current.

You'd be unlucky to blow the speaker with this extra power if you avoid caning the amp of using huge bass boost but it is clearly a possibility and you'd need to listen out for any unexpected ditortions and be prepared to turn down.

Ashdown are really helpful, why not ring or email them?