Why become a member? ×

Sonuus G2m guitar to MIDI

Beer of the Bass

There have been a few BC threads on the bass version, and it seems the consensus seems to be that the latency is a little too much for it to be useful to most players. But I'm wondering whether the guitar version might be worth a try.
There are a couple of songs in the band I play guitar with where I'd like to drop in some sounds which I can't make with a guitar alone. It occurs to me that using the MIDI synth module I already have (a Mutable Instruments Shruthi) could really open up some interesting avenues. I could use a small MIDI keyboard, but the idea of stomping on an A/B switch and triggering it from the guitar is kind of appealing. Since the Shruthi is a mono synth, the monophonic nature of the Sonuus might not be a limitation. I'm thinking of ambient/spacey noises, or slow filter-swept pad type sounds rather than trying to play riffs or basslines, so perhaps the latency would be less of an issue than it is for people trying to play funk bass with it.
Has anyone on here tried the G2M, and do you reckon I could use it for this without too much frustration?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an i2M, I got it as a Christmas pressie but it's not really something I'd use so I have put it up for sale on here, if you want to borrow it to try out I'd be happy to let you if you pay the postage, absolutely no pressure to buy it at all, just send it back to me after you've had a try.

Ideally you need a instrument that produces nice strong clean notes, fret buzz and dead notes are a no no.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1431712334' post='2774293']
I have an i2M, I got it as a Christmas pressie but it's not really something I'd use so I have put it up for sale on here, if you want to borrow it to try out I'd be happy to let you if you pay the postage, absolutely no pressure to buy it at all, just send it back to me after you've had a try.

Ideally you need a instrument that produces nice strong clean notes, fret buzz and dead notes are a no no.
[/quote]

That's a very kind offer, but the I2M is the USB-only version so won't work with my module which needs 5-pin MIDI. Thanks for offering though!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1431712619' post='2774298']
That's a very kind offer, but the I2M is the USB-only version so won't work with my module which needs 5-pin MIDI. Thanks for offering though!
[/quote]

Ah! that proves how much I know about such things :blush:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1432205098' post='2779093']
I've got a version 1 G2m on the way from eBay, it was less than £30 so seems worth a shot. It'll be interesting to see whether I can get something useful out of it.
[/quote]

If you wanted a MK1 version, you could have got one for £20 direct from [url=http://shop.sonuus.com/product_info.php?products_id=47&osCsid=63dc6d68672bedec21a31d09d18537d5]Sonuus[/url].

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1432213121' post='2779245']
If you wanted a MK1 version, you could have got one for £20 direct from [url="http://shop.sonuus.com/product_info.php?products_id=47&osCsid=63dc6d68672bedec21a31d09d18537d5"]Sonuus[/url].
[/quote]

If I'd known that, I would have done! Too late now. Still, mine was £27 posted, so not a massive difference. I figure that for the synth sounds I want to use, the chromatic mode of the MK2 is not an essential, and as it's a bit of an experiment I thought I'd go for the cheaper option.

I've got the G2m, and my first impressions are that it's not bad. I certainly wouldn't try playing a whole set on it (I'd use a keyboard for that), but for dropping in the odd synth part here and there I think it'll work well. I find the latency is quite noticeable on the lower notes, but liveable with across most of the range. I'm getting the odd unintentional open string note, so I think I'll experiment with a hair scrunchy next to the nut to mute them.
Figuring out how to work it into my setup will be interesting - I think I may try and keep the synth sound separate from my guitar amp, perhaps running the output into a volume pedal then DI'd into the PA, so I can just fade it up when needed. The G2m will live on the floor next to my pedals, with the synth module on top of my amp for easy tweaking.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 2 weeks later...

I had the B2M for a bit - I found I got the best results by pitching the synth down an octave and playing an octave higher on the bass. The tracking and latency were a lot better playing higher notes on the bass, but the synth pitch still comes out the same. Also, I found a darker sound worked well too. I basically tried to make the output of the bass sound as similar to a sine wave as I could by playing nearer the neck, using a softer touch, and rolling the tone pot down.

I've since switched to the I2M, but use it in a similar fashion. Fun gadgets for sure :)