Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1977 Greco JB-500 jazz bass

nick

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1430051158' post='2757432']
Lovely classic 70s MIJ Jazz. Probably a Fujigen build if it's '77. B)

Glad you're going to swap the hardware back to chrome - will you use a BBOT, or go for an "upgrade"?

Jon.
[/quote]

Hi Jon, I'm going for a slightly higher mass bridge on this. I've kept BBOT on my P-Basses which I prefer. I can hear a pokier tone with thoseon precisions which I like, but for this I fancy one of those higher mass bridges with tracked saddles, or a cheap secondhand Gotoh if I can find one. Something similar to the original BBOT, that doesn't require more holes. I don't like the look of those Badass ones either.
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430051571' post='2757437']
Kudos for going back to chrome. That's a nice tort guard too and the sunburst is reminiscent of early Fender examples.
[/quote]
Cheers. It's a lovely pickguard, also nicely aged. It pays like a nice old Fender too.
[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1430051874' post='2757440']
Was this the one that was on Ebay from Swansea?
I was keeping an eye on it but the price went higher than I was prepared to pay.
[/quote]
Aye this was the one, but it was quite a way outside Swansea in a small village for pickup! :rolleyes:
I'm happy with the price TBH, though I wasn't gonna pay much more. I got a vintage MIJ bass with JV Squier quality for the same money as a modern Squier. One piece body & neck. By all accounts those late 70's Grecos were made before FujiGen started using CNC machinery for their manufacture. It's a dream to play. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1430055752' post='2757501']
You have a great bass there for what you said, the price of a modern Squier.Looking forward to seeing pictures with the chrome parts put back on, what are the original pickups like?
[/quote]

Cheers...the stock pickups are Gotoh marked as "classic" with cloth wiring, the neck measure 6.9k & the bridge 7.2k. TBH they're not bad, sound typical jazz-like, pretty much the same as most of the other more expensive named 'vintage' jazz pickups I heard. They're not microphonic either. With being used to precisions, I guess I'm just after something with a bit more punch & presence (but not too much) , being still retaining that identifiable jazz tone. I've tried Wizard 74's & the Fender 75 reissues in the past, and liked them. Thought about Dimarzio 'Model J', but they're bit too much away from what I think is that jazz sound, personally.
....but there again, I might give the stock Gotohs a bit more time, may grow to like them.

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1430054963' post='2757486']
I don't like the look of those Badass ones either.
[/quote]

Shame - got one in my parts box that I don't want either! :lol:

I'm a big Schaller 3D fan - but you do have to drill new holes for them. The Gotoh hi-mass thing's a good choice, quite sympathetic to the BBOT design but less, well, rubbish. ;)

J.

Spent the weekend fettling this bass...
Changed all the black hardware (bridge & control plate) back to chrome, think it looks better IMHO. The nut slots were too high, so filed them down a bit, few tweaks on the truss rod, fresh set of DR Sunbeams - now it plays really nice. I swapped out the 500k cheapy pots that came with it for some decent 250k CTS ones & wired in a .047uF PIO cap for the tone control.
Installed a pair of custom wound Hot Rod 74 pickups in cream covers, which sound great. Think I've got a killer vintage MIJ jazz bass now, very happy with it. :)

[url="http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/nickonbass69/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150503_114936-1_zpsydbz7zeq.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by nick