Why become a member? ×

antoria jazz bass (or something like that)

Coldflows

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430257064' post='2759667']
I really am at a loss what to do with it. It's such an interesting instrument which I would love to play around with but feel it deserves better.
[/quote]

One way of looking at it is that what I did to it twenty years ago some would consider sacrilege, but I knew no better and back then they weren't in fashion anyway.
You now consider this sacrilege as an interesting past which holds some value.
Whatever you do to it now is just another chapter in this bass' history.

Here’s the link to the one that didn’t sell on ebay:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Second-Hand-Antoria-Jazz-Bass-/191510109026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c96e45b62&nma=true&si=Cei27x5GenpAksDm2xnYPct6214%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Second-Hand-Antoria-Jazz-Bass-/191510109026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c96e45b62&nma=true&si=Cei27x5GenpAksDm2xnYPct6214%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/url]

I was tempted for a bit I must say.

So currently-
Found a bridge cover that fits
Ordered a vintage thumb rest to stay in keeping with the bass.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/58yv1lfct/full/][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/app.php]print screen windows 7[/url]

To do-
Find a similar bass pickup
Replace the missing pickup
Replace the jack

If anyone has a maxon pickup anywhere in their spares box I would be so grateful!

I also need to look at the action and repair the bridge as one of the saddles is sat on a nut.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/6uiq744kv/full/][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]free photo upload[/url]

Ben

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430339814' post='2760536']
So currently-
Found a bridge cover that fits
Ordered a vintage thumb rest to stay in keeping with the bass.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/58yv1lfct/full/][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/app.php]print screen windows 7[/url]

To do-
Find a similar bass pickup
Replace the missing pickup
Replace the jack

If anyone has a maxon pickup anywhere in their spares box I would be so grateful!

I also need to look at the action and repair the bridge as one of the saddles is sat on a nut.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/6uiq744kv/full/][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]free photo upload[/url]

Ben
[/quote]

FYI mine had a Fender Jazz sized bridge pick up cover - basically identical but without the f - it had a strip of foam rubber inside it. I took the cover off and used it ........... as an ashtray!!! I sold the bass around 1980 for £100 having replaced it with a brand new Stingray.

However the cover wasn't sold with the bass and I think I still have it somewhere packed away in a box.

The bass came with black tape wound strings as new.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1430342813' post='2760585']

FYI mine had a Fender Jazz sized bridge pick up cover - basically identical but without the f - it had a strip of foam rubber inside it. I took the cover off and used it ........... as an ashtray!!! I sold the bass around 1980 for £100 having replaced it with a brand new Stingray.

However the cover wasn't sold with the bass and I think I still have it somewhere packed away in a box.

The bass came with black tape wound strings as new.
[/quote]

Really? All the pics I found have the style that I used, I'd love to see what a full ashtray cover would look like! Can you dig it out and take a photo if you still have it? Id much prefer to use the correct parts!

New, it would have had a full-size J cover over the bridge, which woud cover the pickup - which is likely why they initially used these pickups, rather than tooling up to make accurate copies.

As I mentioned, this bass is identical to its Ibanez counterpart, so new it would have looked like this;

These catalogues used Fujigen factory stock shots, hence no brand on the headstock. If there was a '72 Antoria catalogue, it would have used the same pics. Anecdotally the model numbers were the same also.

Jon.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430344312' post='2760600']

Really? All the pics I found have the style that I used, I'd love to see what a full ashtray cover would look like! Can you dig it out and take a photo if you still have it? Id much prefer to use the correct parts!
[/quote]

As Bassassin's post shows, that is the cover style my bass came with. I'll try and find it at the week end.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1430346174' post='2760622']

As Bassassin's post shows, that is the cover style my bass came with. I'll try and find it at the week end.
[/quote]

That would be great. I had a look on the web and I could only find a picture of an antoria jazz with a short bridge cover. I can see why the full one looks better as the covers should math up and they dont on my bass. Just a question (and maybe Maude could give me an answer) why are there no holes where the cover should be?

Different knobs as well but I think the current ones fit the age of the bass quite nicely.

(Always had a soft spot for pickup covers, have them on my telebass)

Edited by Coldflows

Here's a nice one too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Second-Hand-1970s-Antoria-Sunburst-Jazz-Bass-/271854660246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4bccea96

I had a sunburst one back in the '70s as my first bass. The fingerboard came unglued and fell off. Maybe I was just unlucky.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430429111' post='2761466']
The fingerboard seems solid on this one. The bridge cover is a short one again, why do so few of them have the original shape pickup/bridge cover?
[/quote]

I'd presume because most bassists took them off as soon as they got the bass home form the shop! No idea what that cover's from, something beginning with "v" perhaps!

I've lost count of the number of 70s MIJ basses & guitars I've had - but never had a fretboard fall off! I'm inclined to think if a bass has lasted 40 years and the board hasn't dropped off, it's probably not going to!

J.

I had mine for about 8 yrs and for part of that played in a very busy covers band touring the country - it was totally reliable and seemingly well built.

I took the covers off mine as soon as I got it - the last thing I wanted was something that reflected the 50s or 60s - no one had covers on Fender basses by the early 70s - not only were they restrictive of playing styles but at that stage anything 50s or 60s was deeply uncool and out of date. They had yet to become items of nostalgia.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1430430338' post='2761478']

I've lost count of the number of 70s MIJ basses & guitars I've had - but never had a fretboard fall off! I'm inclined to think if a bass has lasted 40 years and the board hasn't dropped off, it's probably not going to!

J.
[/quote]

And I hope it never does happen! I guess that covers are returning as an in thing, personally I never have had a problem as I play rather strangely, but I can see how they could become irritating if you keep catching your hand on them. Same with thumb rests!

On the subject of thumb rests, the one I ordered is black acrylic and looks in keeping with the bass but where the originals wood? In a few pictures it looked as if it could be.

Saying that it is identical to the one on eBay so I can't be too far off.

Edited by Coldflows

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430346600' post='2760625']

Just a question (and maybe Maude could give me an answer) why are there no holes where the cover should be?

[/quote]

I can't remember if it had holes for a bridge cover before I refinished it (can barely remember what I had for breakfast anymore) but if it did then I would have filled them as I didn't have the cover.
If you look closely you would probably be able to see two marks where the holes were as any filler in a hole would have sunk a bit after twenty years, if they were there to start with.

So that's a tick for the thumb rest being close to the original! As for the bridge cover, the paintwork is unflawed all around the bridge so I'm not sure if it ever had a cover or that Maude's reconditioning was so well done that they really where covered over.

I still think it would look good with the matching cover either way.

Still having trouble sourcing a pickup, I found a vintage hofner pickup roughly the same size (I think it was a staple type) but it seems to be going a little out of my price range. I'm just worried if I buy a new one it will overpower the original in the bridge position.

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1430426441' post='2761440']
Here's a nice one too.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Second-Hand-1970s-Antoria-Sunburst-Jazz-Bass-/271854660246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4bccea96"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f4bccea96[/url]

I had a sunburst one back in the '70s as my first bass. The fingerboard came unglued and fell off. Maybe I was just unlucky.
[/quote]

That looks like the one that started life at £350, same picture and wording etc.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430563661' post='2762614']
So that's a tick for the thumb rest being close to the original! As for the bridge cover, the paintwork is unflawed all around the bridge so I'm not sure if it ever had a cover or that Maude's reconditioning was so well done that they really where covered over.
[/quote]

A Fujigen J copy of this vintage would have had a full-size bridge ashtray - absolutely no doubt.

Those Artec pickups sare pretty low output for humbuckers - about 8.5k, so one of those probably wouldn't overpower the original. If you go for one, the bridge position should have poles that are wider spaced.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1430587302' post='2762928']

Those Artec pickups sare pretty low output for humbuckers - about 8.5k, so one of those probably wouldn't overpower the original. If you go for one, the bridge position should have poles that are wider spaced.

J.
[/quote]

Poles that are wider spaced? Sorry j, you lost me!

So we are saying that they should be fine. I guess an artec would do until a real maxon turns up. Certainly doesn't matter as it's under a cover anyway.

(Bit the bullet and brought one)

What's the best way to remove a totally wrecked bridge saddle pin? I found some matching replacements but I need to get the rusted ones out first!

Edited by Coldflows

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430589249' post='2762950']
Poles that are wider spaced? Sorry j, you lost me!
[/quote]

These Artecs are intended (I guess) for something like a Hofner violin bass, which has pretty narrow string spacing, so they have pole pieces which are pretty close together compared with the old Maxons. I just thought that it would be best to choose the one which has slightly wider spacing - ie the bridge unit - so it would be a bit closer to the original. Shouldn't make a lot of difference in practice though.

Jon.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430589249' post='2762950']
What's the best way to remove a totally wrecked bridge saddle pin? I found some matching replacements but I need to get the rusted ones out first!
[/quote]

I would:
1 - Take it off the bass.
2 - Soak it in penetrating oil for a day.
3 - Use pliers to turn the pin, if you can get any purchase.
Failing that, use a Dremel or similar to cut a slot in the pin end, so that you can get purchase on it with a screwdriver.

Heat or cold might also be useful in freeing the pin. Cold is probably less risky - put it in the freezer overnight.

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1430594001' post='2763006']
I might have the innards of a Maxon single coil without the cover in one of my boxes of bits - I'll have a look tomorrow. It's from the version in the larger EB3 cover, but the coil and magnets are the same and you might be able to bodge it into the cover you've got.
[/quote]

If you do that would be incredible!

Okay j, I'll see when it arrives and of worse comes to worse it will make a good spare for my kit.

I'll give freezing it a go, I dont have any penetrating oil, I have wd40 or switch cleaning lubricant if either of those is useful? I was going to saw a slit in the top to get some purchace with a screwdriver. I'll post a picture tomorrow to see what's best.