Why become a member? ×

antoria jazz bass (or something like that)

Coldflows

Hello guys.

Recently brought a job lot of basses and guitars to give a clean up and sell on, two where more interesting than the others. One is a Kay k20-b which I don't actually know if I'm allowed to talk about. The other is a antoria jazz bass with a rather interesting pickup configuration. I'm not 100% but they seem to be either humbuckers or fideletrons or something of the like and I just wondered of anyone could shed some light on the bass.

Ben

Haven't a clue what the answer is but I had an Antoria Jazz Bass with the same pickups. Body was walnut coloured and apart from that truss rod cover was v similar. I've never seen another one like it before or since so your photos are quite evocative!

I recall that a year or two after I had mine (new in 1973), they started selling Antorias which copied the jazz bass more exactly, including the pick ups.

It appears that one of the pickups is actually hollow, so I dont if the lower pickup is aftermarket.

Will take it apart and take some photos.

Any valuations so far? Its certainly pretty.

http://s18.postimg.org/70mvgk6ax/IMG_20150427_141809455.jpg

The inside of the control cavity. Those are some big pots. I thought it was 80s.

Says on the back made in japan

Edited by Coldflows

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1430136908' post='2758242']
There was a 3TSB Antoria with these p/ups on evilbay recently. I'm sure bassassasin will be along shortly to shed light on this murky corner!
[/quote]

:ph34r:

These pickups are Maxon single-coils, they appeared on loads of early MIJ basses (even Ibby Rick Fakers had 'em) before 70s copies started getting accurate.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:69930] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:61017] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:61019]

If there's a code on the back, this can be used to date the pickup, and will also give you an approximate date for the bass. Pre-76 Antoria basses (made by Fujigen Gakki) didn't have serial numbers, so it's hard to date them otherwise.

This bass is pretty interesting - it looks like an early example - I'd guess 72/73, based on the chrome trc and inlays to 17th position - but I've never before seen an Antoria or any other Fujigen J copy with a solid finish & matching headstock. The fact there's a correct & authentic abalone logo on the head strongly suggests it's not a refin.

Value - not sure. A good, clean & original early Antoria J might get around £175 - £225 or so if you're lucky - but if you can find a keen collector, this odd finish might fetch a bit more.

Jon.

Certainly worth what I paid for it. If it did have a serial number where would I look up more info on it? I'll take a look at the pickups in a second.

http://s28.postimg.org/tqnvwo3st/IMG_20150427_165212025.jpg

Bridge pickup is as expected but not dated suggesting quite early?

http://s11.postimg.org/8ghcdymzn/IMG_20150427_165108672.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/u5yqzes35/IMG_20150427_165849399.jpg

Now this is where it gets weird. Single coil in the metal casing? Any ideas?

Edited by Coldflows

The tuners are lovely and have to be original and someone has put a few different thumb rests on it. Does anyone know where to get a vintage thumb rest and a replacement pickup for it? Or should I put it up for sale as is?

K20b is obviously up for offers, its pretty much generic problems with it in that the pickup surrounds have gone but I'm having some 3d printed to replace them. Am I allowed to post about it?

Edited by Coldflows

Coldflows, I'm sure that's my old Antoria!

Years ago when I knew nothing I was given this bass in a bag of bits.
I had a Mini which I resprayed in two tone Arum White and Primrose yellow, a colour scheme I liked so much I used on this bass. If memory serves, I put a peice of tape over the headstock logo and carefully cut around the lettering, painted yellow then removed tape and lacquered over to give an even cover.
The pickup neck pickup wouldn't work and as I knew diddly about these things back then I jammed an old strat pup in there and shifted it on to Cash Converters when they first opened in Plymouth hoping they wouldn't notice anything wrong. I got fifty quid for an old nail that played awfully and was given to me in bits so was happy, but since I've learned these things could be fixed easily I've always regretted it.
So pleased it's turned up again, and still sporting the Austin Mini colour scheme.

Having closely studied the pictures, they're bringing back memories, it is definitely my old bass.
I can only apologise for what I did to it, I was young and knew no better, plus vintage basses weren't the fashion back then.
I remember the scratchplate being very dark and the bass was originally 3tsb, everything I hated back then.
I'm surprised it's still in exactly the same condition as I sold it in, must be twenty years ago.
Where abouts are you (on my phone and location doesn't show), just wondering how far it's travelled.

Sometimes these pickups don't have date stamps, I don't think it necessarily means they're earlier than dated ones. I'd still place the bass at 72/3 based on the other features I mentioned.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1430151813' post='2758429']
My old man has an Antoria Les Paul, I read up on them once and supposedly they were owned by Ibanez.
[/quote]

Not sure where you read that. Antoria's a British brand which has changed hands a number of times over the years, but has always been owned by UK distributors - I believe it currently belongs to Tim Gentle Music. Anyway at that time it was owned by J.T. Coppock Ltd of Leeds, who sourced instruments from Fujigen Gakki. Ibanez is a brand name owned by Hoshino Gakki Ten - they also sourced their 70s copy-era instruments from Fujigen, which means that some models are identical to Antoria apart from the brand name. There's absolutely no other connection.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1430170988' post='2758694']
Coldflows, I'm sure that's my old Antoria!
[/quote]

Bloody hell - amazing coincidence of the week! B) That explains the unusual finish & the dodgy pickup!

J.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1430171986' post='2758706']
Having closely studied the pictures, they're bringing back memories, it is definitely my old bass.
I can only apologise for what I did to it, I was young and knew no better, plus vintage basses weren't the fashion back then.
I remember the scratchplate being very dark and the bass was originally 3tsb, everything I hated back then.
I'm surprised it's still in exactly the same condition as I sold it in, must be twenty years ago.
Where abouts are you (on my phone and location doesn't show), just wondering how far it's travelled.
[/quote]

I'm in Plymouth GB and I brought it in a lot of vintage guitars. You did amazingly on the paint by the way, I have been calling it creamburst as it's almost white in the centre! I won't get into the pickup though, it sounds surprisingly good with the strat in there, definitely lots of crisp treble. What a story! This is why you have to love basschat!

Would you like her back?

Edited by Coldflows

IIRC I paid £125 for a slightly later Antoria Jazz finished in black. This one had the trad J pickups though. The 3TSB one on evilbay started at around £350 I think, but after a few price drops down to £249 I still don't think it sold.

Original Maxon pickups are quite hard to find, not having been made for 40-odd years, but occasionally they do come up. Alternatively an Artec mini humbucker like this should fit:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artec-Mini-Humbucker-Violin-Bass-Pickup-Chrome/151278941934"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artec-Mini-Humbucker-Violin-Bass-Pickup-Chrome/151278941934[/url]

Not sure how pole spacing & output would work, but it's a 4-wire so it'll do single-coil.

J.

I've got two that don't work, which ain't much help!

I'd suggest the [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/55074615631/"]Vintage Japanese Guitar Fanclub[/url] group on FB. No guarantee that someone will have one, but some of those guys have been collecting MIJ stuff for 40 years & have very deep spares boxes.

J.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1430248036' post='2759538']
There's someone on the Glasgow / Edinburgh / Central Scotland Facebook music gear group selling a sunburst one for £120. No idea if that's a realistic value.
[/quote]
That's my old one. I traded it for an Aria Pro SB-R Black & Gold.

It's worth more than £120, imo.

J.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1430201885' post='2758762']

Would you like her back?
[/quote]

As tempting as that is I can't really, I have too many basses and have just bought a new car and I'm collecting a PJB Suitcase and extention cab on Saturday so really can't justify spending more money.
It's worth more for you to sell than I'd be prepared to pay for a bit of romanticism, although my birth year is '73 so it could be a nice Y.O.B. bass.
Thanks for the offer though :)

I reckon put some decent pups in it and give it a good set up and it'll be a beaut.

Edited by Maude