Why become a member? ×

noisy pots

ebenezer

WD40 isn't a good idea as it attracts clag and goit. Servisol Super 10 is a much better bet. A quick squirt and move the controls through their full travel about twenty times, and you should be good to go.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1430141135' post='2758311']
Have you guys tried Maplin's contact cleaner spray?

It's what I have. It seems ok to me, but not over impressed. Just wondered how it compares.
[/quote]

I was going to buy some of this on the way home today so would be interested in this as well...

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1430143867' post='2758347']
If your pots are noisy...change them.
You are just delaying the inevitable by using contact cleaners.
[/quote]
Agreed, it delays, or it papers over the cracks while you try to sell the bass.... if you're inclined to do that terrible sort of thing. :blush:

If your pots are noisy...change them. You are just delaying the inevitable by using contact cleaners.
[/quote]

I've used contact cleaners precisely three times on my bass pots, they are nearly 40 years old.
I can't change them - my bass wouldn't be original then, would it? *Gasp of horror*

[/quote]

hmmm, define "delay".

If they're really bad, sure, it'll only be a short-lived cure. But I have guitars that I have owned a couple of decades and I've sprayed the pots once or twice when I heard a little scratch... and they're ok.

[/quote]

+1 vote
Any form of cleaner is just a quick fix in my experience, just change them and be done with it

Cleaning the pots just extends their usable life and it is a way of maintaining your instrument (like cleaning it, changing strings, setups...)

Pots normally have an "x" amount of turns until they start failing unless they are being abused or stored in bad conditions (damp, dust, etc...) which will make them go "caput" even sooner.

I normally use Servisol and if a pot is giving serious issues, I whack a new quality replacement in.

I am tempted to use the bike chains method though... LOLOL

Edited by Byo

At the risk of going off topic here; how much do you actually use/operate the pot?

When you think of how little they're used, in my case at least, their life they give isn't impressive compare to the volume knob on a hi-fi for example. Maybe to extend their life we should give them more "exercise"?

[/quote]

Unless the noise is caused simply by dirt? In which case the problem has been dealt with :)

Do you change your car when it gets dirty? :lol:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1431339630' post='2770078']
Unless the noise is caused simply by dirt? In which case the problem has been dealt with :)

[b]Do you change your car when it gets dirty?[/b] :lol:
[/quote]

That would be silly, I usually send the Chauffeur to buy another one....

just to clarify, the bass has had little use so surely the pots should not be worn!
this circuit was fitted by overwater...it is a bart bc5 pickup and bart tct circuit
fitted with, I assume good quality pots!...but then again!!

I've never had to deal with crackly pots until recently; all three pots on my Peavey crackle when I turn them. Having never cleaned pots before, what do I do? Do I have to take the pots out and spray them from the front?

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1431816410' post='2775340']
I've never had to deal with crackly pots until recently; all three pots on my Peavey crackle when I turn them. Having never cleaned pots before, what do I do? Do I have to take the pots out and spray them from the front?
[/quote]

Contact cleaner spray comes with a long, thin tube That attaches to the nozzle. Use this to poke into an opening in the pot cover and spray about to get it to wash the inside parts. After this then keep winding the pot back and forth and do it again.

That usually works.