Why become a member? ×

SOLD. Double Bass, Violin Shape, nice Flame, Shadow PU, case. Poss p/x?
£1450

Beautiful Violin shape Double Bass, makers label reads 'Universal 300 4/4', fully carved, nice flame to back and sides, brass plates, strung with new Velvet Blues and I will also include a lightly used set of Innovation 140SS Med Tension Clear Nylon Wound. Although stated as full size it feels like any other 3/4 I have had. I have the original bill of sale from Hamilton Caswell dated 14/09/1998 for the sum of £1589. The previous owner, a Double Bass tutor, had the fingerboard shot for better playability which has revealed the hardwood underneath the black top coat. I have left this as is but it could be stained black if so desired. A few light scrapes on the edges and a small chip on the rear of one of the violin corners. It comes fitted with a Shadow PU and will be in a soft padded case. I'll also include the useful Gig Stand. A lovely Bass, recently looked over and set up by Taylor Violins of Bournemouth and available to try out in Poole, Dorset. Only selling to fund a vintage Jazz Bass (poss trade?). Thanks.

Edited by paddybass

• 2 weeks later...

It looks interesting, I am looking for an upright. Do you know any more about he "Universal 300" maker? Do you think it is eastern european. What is the measurement of the back? and also the nut to the bridge?
I am near torquay , so it might be possible to get over and have a look

Hi. Nut to bridge is 41" and the back is 44". Don't know anything about the make I'm afraid but I have bought from Hamilton Caswell in the past and they are a very reputable company in Bristol. I've had several Basses myself over the years, some cheaper and some more expensive than this one and although I'm no expert I do think this is very good and has deep, rich tone. The Velvet Blue strings are very nice too. You are welcome to have a try if you're in the area. Cheers.

Hi. The receipt from Hamilton Caswell is from new I would assume. I bought this Bass privately a couple of years ago but not had the time to get back to playing it. I've had several Basses all 3/4 size and this feels very similar. Thanks.

Some measurements as requested.

Scroll to bottom of body 71.5 inches
Nut to bridge 41 inches
Shoulder to bottom of body 43 inches
Upper bout 19.75 inches
Lower bout 26.5 inches

This makes it a 3/4 size. Thanks.